Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #61
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
None this year. Last year almost non-stop until I put up signage. Then it pretty much dwindled right off. We have a peephole in the front door now so I always look before answering and if there's a clipboard, I walk away and ignore. Most that still came would read my sign and laugh and leave.

Vivint was the worst offender last year. They'd send a different schmuck every time. Same story - " Your neighbours have signed with us!"

"Yeah? Good for them. Guess I'm smarter than they are. By the way, which neighbours?" *schmuck points out neighbours to either side of us* "Haha, they sure teach you to lie well hey? I know both sets and they hate you guys and wouldn't sign up of their lives depended on it. And how many times have you signed them up now because a different rep has been by every day this week and they all claimed to have signed them up too. Bugger off" Signed them up haha - the little old lady on one side would be more likely to chase them down the street with her bat than sign a thing.

Vivint is the worst. I live in a newly built neighborhood and they're here all the time harassing people. Caught me outside loading my Jeep for camping one time, tell them I don't want to waste their time but I don't buy things from door to door. Still proceeds to bug me for another 10 mins.

It's so strange, they actually sell a half decent product, but I'll never buy from someone whose sales strategy involves harassment and scare tactics.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrunchBite For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #62
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

If I want something I tell Alexa to bring it to me.

Like a normal person.

My door, mailbox, and email are for my friends and family. Not salespeople. If more folks didn’t answer the door, we wouldn’t have the problem of door to door sales.

The civility card can’t be played if you are interrupting my family time.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #63
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
You folks who don’t answer your door are odd. Really? Like you are so important you can’t open your door? For fear they might try and “sell” you something?

Answer the door. Be nice. How about being a positive influence in the world and simply say no thanks and wish that person a great day.

The world needs better people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's inconvenient to have people try to sell you stuff from your doorstep. But it's civil to address them politely and say no.

We're becoming a more and more inward society, living in private caves where the people three doors down or walking by on the sidewalk may as well be in another country. That can't be healthy.
How many times to you politely say no before you get frustrated with them continuing to "up the ante" on their sales pitch. I have never seen a door to door sales person stop their pitch the first time you say no or tell them you're not interested.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #64
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you look on Google Streetview of the blue house at the intersection of 8 Ave SE & 13 St SE - it actually doesn’t a front door. Or a front entrance at all.
Quote is borked as usual too lazy to put in the info manually. Anyway you are telling the truth I looked.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #65
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You folks who don’t answer your door are odd. Really? Like you are so important you can’t open your door? For fear they might try and “sell” you something?

Answer the door. Be nice. How about being a positive influence in the world and simply say no thanks and wish that person a great day.

Do you work for Vivint? Every single time in a calm, friendly tone I tell them I'm not going to waste their time and that I'm not interested and to have a good day. Easy and positive response from my end which gets the "can I ask why aren't you interested" to which my attitude drops one notch where I tell them no again. If they continue I tell them no thanks and close the door on them. Mid sentence or whatever I dont really care. I told you I'm not interested and I don't need your 15 minute pitch now piss off.

Honestly the punks coming door to door need to be better people! When someone explicitly tells them "no, I am not interested" why can't they just piss off?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #66
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm much less bothered by door-to-door sales folks that the two or so phone calls I get every freaking day.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #67
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is very easy to say "Sorry, I am not interested" and then close the door without slamming it. You don't have to listen to any further sales pitch as the door is now closed.

Keep in mind that if these people had better skills, they would not be going door to door trying to make sales.

And it is not easy to upgrade skills if all you are suitable for is door to door sales. I would suspect many have not even completed high-school.

Or how would you feel if you never even answered the door and it was a child who needed help? They could have fallen off their bike and sprained or broken something or are just bleeding badly? Or maybe the child is lost?

It is a sad time for mankind if the doorbell ringing annoys people so much...first world problem.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #68
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Years of rude salespeople have reduced me to the guy who opens the door, says no thanks and closes the door before they have a chance to annoy me any further.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #69
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Do you work for Vivint? Every single time in a calm, friendly tone I tell them I'm not going to waste their time and that I'm not interested and to have a good day. Easy and positive response from my end which gets the "can I ask why aren't you interested" to which my attitude drops one notch where I tell them no again. If they continue I tell them no thanks and close the door on them. Mid sentence or whatever I dont really care. I told you I'm not interested and I don't need your 15 minute pitch now piss off.

Honestly the punks coming door to door need to be better people! When someone explicitly tells them "no, I am not interested" why can't they just piss off?
I worked door-to-door sales one summer when I was 12 (we would work in pairs and we would be dropped off at one end of the block, and we would each work one side of the street and then get picked up on the other end of the block -- I can't imagine that happening now). We had to memorize dozens of responses depending on how the sales pitch would go. We had a response if they said the item was too expensive. We had a response if they said they would never use the item. We had a response if they said they were too busy. We had a response if they said no right away. And if the homeowner showed any signs of capitulation, we were taught to tell them we were in a sales contest and that the one with the most sales at the end of the month would win a bike. I was taught to tell them I didn't have a bike and then I would point to the other kid on the other side of the street and tell the homeowner that I was tied in sales with that kid. Such a scam. But I was proud I didn't need to take money from my parents and I could use my own money to feed my slurpees and comics and cassette tapes addiction.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #70
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I worked door-to-door sales one summer when I was 12 (we would work in pairs and we would be dropped off at one end of the block, and we would each work one side of the street and then get picked up on the other end of the block -- I can't imagine that happening now).
Last year three 5-7 year old girls came to my door for a bottle drive without an adult. My mind was blown by this because all I could think of was how a monster could have easily snatched all three of them and ran out the back door with them.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #71
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

So everyone here should already know that I install for ADT. I of course have ADT signs outside my house and a well marked work truck.

One morning my wife wakes me up and tells me that a city of Calgary guy is outside saying that we need to upgrade our smoke and add CO detectors and should have a Doorbell Camera. Half awake, that last one made me chuckle and I asked what color of uniform is he wearing. She quickly says orange and I just laugh and tell her it’s just a Vivant rep.

She still insisted I deal with him. So I get up and look at the guy and tell him to look at my sign right beside my door and then maybe turn around and see my clearly marked Truck. I proceeded to tell him good luck getting anyone on the block and closed the door.

Not one house signed on. And that’s about 40 houses. I hate those guys but love taking over their systems and listening to their past owners do nothing but complain about them.

Last edited by csnarpy; 06-22-2018 at 09:01 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 02:01 AM   #72
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nm
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #73
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
So everyone here should already know that I install for ADT. I of course have ADT signs outside my house and a well marked work truck.

One morning my wife wakes me up and tells me that a city of Calgary guy is outside saying that we need to upgrade our smoke and add CO detectors and should have a Doorbell Camera. Half awake, that last one made me chuckle and I asked what color of uniform is he wearing. She quickly says orange and I just laugh and tell her it’s just a Vivant rep.

She still insisted I deal with him. So I get up and look at the guy and tell him to look at my sign right beside my door and then maybe turn around and see my clearly marked Truck. I proceeded to tell him good luck getting anyone on the block and closed the door.

Not one house signed on. And that’s about 40 houses. I hate those guys but love taking over their systems and listening to their past owners do nothing but complain about them.
That's hilarious.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #74
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Last year three 5-7 year old girls came to my door for a bottle drive without an adult. My mind was blown by this because all I could think of was how a monster could have easily snatched all three of them and ran out the back door with them.

First of all, that's weird that your mind drifted there. But anyway, when my son was doing Beaver Scouts, they would go on bottle drives, and I was always in the car until they collected some bottles and needed help moving them.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #75
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
First of all, that's weird that your mind drifted there.
First of all, piss off with the notion that assessing risk is weird. Second, piss off with the implication that I’m somehow weird because I had this thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
But anyway, when my son was doing Beaver Scouts, they would go on bottle drives, and I was always in the car until they collected some bottles and needed help moving them.
Good for you. That’s smart. Way smarter than dropping one’s small children at one end of the block and then not having eyes on them while they knock on strangers’ doors.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #76
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's inconvenient to have people try to sell you stuff from your doorstep. But it's civil to address them politely and say no...
Which I do. If they don't accept that, then I raise my shotgun.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #77
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
First of all, piss off with the notion that assessing risk is weird. Second, piss off with the implication that I’m somehow weird because I had this thought.
Good for you. That’s smart. Way smarter than dropping one’s small children at one end of the block and then not having eyes on them while they knock on strangers’ doors.
How many kidnappings in the history of the world have happened from knocking on strangers doors?

I'd say you were poorly assessing risk. The larger risk in that scenario is them jaywalking and getting hit by a car.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #78
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
How many kidnappings in the history of the world have happened from knocking on strangers doors?

I'd say you were poorly assessing risk. The larger risk in that scenario is them jaywalking and getting hit by a car.
So go play in traffic then.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #79
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #80
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I've gone ahead and removed my front entrance.
I prefer to just leave my front door wide open.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote