Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 01-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #41
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't a publication ban on evidence just mean none of the photos or evidence can be posted?
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #42
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Because you made a silly comment about an "ominous" photo the cops used, trying to spread fear that somehow this means the cops could illegally search anyone. If you're genuinely worried about that do a little research and put your mind at ease before you get worked up.
Link works fine for me. If it still isn't working, you can type "Douglas Garland publication ban" in google. But that may require that you "do a little research".

Do you have a link for Delgar's claim about the matching rust stains from the photo that connected him to this?

Honestly, I cannot find anything that confirms that as the connection.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #43
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Caramon, I'm not sure why you're so skeptical about the warrant, when on day 1 of the trial, there's this much evidence coming to light. They'll get there, I'm sure. This is supposed to be like a month long. Day 1 is looking like life without parole for Garland. I think/hope/pray that the CPS have their sh*t in order. I highly doubt they just stormed a farm and found DNA by luck. There'll be justification for the warrant soon, I almost guarantee.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #44
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Link works fine for me. If it still isn't working, you can type "Douglas Garland publication ban" in google. But that may require that you "do a little research".

Do you have a link for Delgar's claim about the matching rust stains from the photo that connected him to this?

Honestly, I cannot find anything that confirms that as the connection.
Link doesn't work on my phone, I searched what you suggested and it was a publication ban for the preliminary trial. This is the actual trial now, which is where we all are getting our info from.

The rust comment was from the trial today.
Quote:
Kevin Martin @KMartinCourts
Photo Allen Liknes got from his wife, Patti Garland, had same rust spot as one circulated by police in the paper, he says. #garland
5h ago
Right from the link I posted.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #45
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Since there seems to be some confusion here:

The publication ban was on the preliminary hearing, to determine if there was enough evidence to warrant a trial, held in 2015. The purpose of the ban was to make sure evidence wasn't in the news which could taint the eventual jury.

There is no publication ban on the trial proceedings.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 11:50 PM   #46
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not an educated man. Most of you have probably figured that out from my awful grammar, but I have one question, why did the police hold the evidence about the bodies not being found when in fact they were technically found in a burnt barrel on the Garland residence? Why was that hold back evidence?

Last edited by CedarMeter; 01-16-2017 at 11:57 PM.
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #47
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
I'm not an educated man. Most of you have probably figured that out from my awful grammar, but I have one question, why did the police hold the evidence about the bodies not being found when in fact the were technically found in a burnt barrel on the Garland residence?
I'm not a lawyer but I think to not taint the possible jurors since they really couldn't prove the bodies in the barrel were of the missing grandparents and child.

That's my theory anyways but could be wrong.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #48
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
I'm not an educated man. Most of you have probably figured that out from my awful grammar, but I have one question, why did the police hold the evidence about the bodies not being found when in fact they were technically found in a burnt barrel on the Garland residence? Why was that hold back evidence?
I think there could be multiple reasons, a big one being that police don't give all details of crimes they are investigating. They also wouldn't have known the results of the DNA testing for a little bit after it was collected, and once it was confirmed what they found I bet they kept tight lipped so they wouldn't jeopardize the eventual trial.

Also I don't think finding DNA in a burn is considered finding the bodies. There isn't a classification of 'technically' finding a body, they have DNA from the bodies but they don't have actual bodies. The crown is trying to prove that they are dead and didn't just disappear and run away, which is why they have been asking the witnesses if they have had any contact with them since their disappearance.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 01-17-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #49
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

A couple photos from CBC and Metro:

NSFW!

Nancy Hixt @NancyHixt
(in response to someone asking if there are more photos of the crime scene)
Yes but they were very graphic so we decided not to use them in our content. Sorry. Just too graphic

Also, some additional things I missed yesterday reading coverage:

Val Fortney @ValFortney
"Did they wear adult diapers?" Crown asks Jennifer of her parents.#garland

Didn't think anything of it yesterday until I saw this today:
A hard drive found hidden in the rafters of the basement in the Garland house showed he researched “how to kill without emotion,” researched not just the Liknes and their social media but even the particular lock on the side door to their house. His “fascination with autopsies,” particularly female bodies, and “a fascination with restrained and diapered women” was evident.
Faulkner said “he methodically researched not only ways to kill, but weapons to kill with, not only how to perform autopsies, but tools to perform them with, and then you will see those well-researched tools and those well-researched weapons located on the farm…
“This was not just research,” Faulkner said, “it was research that led to action, research that led the accused to purchase weapons and tools for killing and dismembering.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...rosecutor-says

Also:
Jordan Kanygin @CTVJKanygin
Jury hears hard drive with 200GB was found in rafter with research done by #Garland on how to murder, Likenes social media and maps of home.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 01-17-2017 at 10:00 AM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #50
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 9m9 minutes ago
June 29-30/14 Archie says "I had an abscessed tooth" and "I was on antibiotics and I was fairly sick and my throat was swollen shut."

Archie said Doug #Garland had an appointment every Monday morning 8-9am with a psychiatrist in #yyc

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 38s39 seconds ago
Douglas #Garland shows no emotion from the prisoners box as his father Archie Garland testifies #yyc
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #51
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus H Christ.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #52
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Only thing that really stood out to me from this morning, when Douglas Garland's father, Archie, was being questioned:

Meghan Grant @CBCMeg
CROWN: Did you use a chemical called "DNA Erase" in the burn barrel?
Archie #Garland : No

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/...g=en&region=CA
LookOut™ DNA Erase is a potent, ready-to-use solution for rapid DNA decontamination of surfaces in laboratories. This reagent is characterized by its high efficiency. The decontamination spray completely destroys DNA within 60 seconds of surface treatment. The solution contains a unique combination of DNA destroying and surface active agents.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #53
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

given what seems like very solid evidence two days into this trial, it will be interesting to see what kind of stuff the defence will bring out to refute this.

this garland seems like a real piece
Old 01-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #54
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shouldn't have opened the thread. This is heavy and heartbreaking stuff.

Won't be back.

Looks like the crown has a lot of evidence. Hope that no mistakes were made that lead to a technicality.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #55
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn, his sister is not holding back anything on the stand. I'm wondering if she's the one who first brought him to police attention?

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 13m13 minutes ago
Accused, says Patti #Garland, continued to talk to her about his bad biz deal with Alvin. She told him to talk to Alvin, not her.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 11m11 minutes ago
"He glared about me for about 20, 30 seconds and then headed downstairs" on July 3rd, 2014 when she was at farm. #garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 8m8 minutes ago
On July 4, 2014, Patti #garland was checking for updates on disappearance when she saw her father's green truck in media report.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 7m7 minutes ago
Crown asks how she felt when she saw the photo of the truck her brother was always driving. "Not very good," says Patti #garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 6m6 minutes ago
"I had my son Jordan take pictures" of the green truck at the acreage, so they could be forwarded to police, says Patti #Garland
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #56
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like she's the one who brought forward the truck photos to police, which was a huge break in the case.

As bad as I feel for the victim's families, I also feel bad for Garland's parents. Both parents are elderly, have lived full productive lives, and now have to go through something like this while in their 80s. Interview after interview with investigators. And now having to testify against their own son.

I couldn't imagine being in my 80s and having this to live through as the last journey in my life. Now that it's very easy to find where they live, I hope no vigilantes decide to take things into their own hands and try to harass the parents for their son's doings.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-17-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 03:47 PM   #57
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

If it was her that called the police, she deserves a medal of honour. Turning in your own brother because you're sickened by the disappearance of a child. I'd do the same, but I doubt I'll ever be tested on that.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #58
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Sounds like she's the one who brought forward the truck photos to police, which was a huge break in the case.

As bad as I feel for the victim's families, I also feel bad for Garland's parents. Both parents are elderly, have lived full productive lives, and now have to go through something like this while in their 80s. Interview after interview with investigators. And now having to testify against their own son.

I couldn't imagine being in my 80s and having this to live through as the last journey in my life. Now that it's very easy to find where they live, I hope no vigilantes decide to take things into their own hands and try to harass the parents for their son's doings.
I would hope not! Short of giving their loser son a place to live, I don't think they bear any responsibility for the actions of a grown man.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #59
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

When do you stop paying attention to what is going on in your house? If he was obsessed with this business deal I'm sure he talked about it a lot. Why was he seeing a psychiatrist? Tough situation for parents that age. I'm surprised they didn't make a connection to the news.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #60
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
When do you stop paying attention to what is going on in your house? If he was obsessed with this business deal I'm sure he talked about it a lot. Why was he seeing a psychiatrist? Tough situation for parents that age. I'm surprised they didn't make a connection to the news.
But they did make a connection to the news...a few posts up states his own sister had her son take a picture of the truck to send to the police. And wouldn't be shocked if the parents made a few calls to the police as well. They are testifying on behalf of the crown after all.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote