Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #41
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
We get almost nothing down in Dougalsdale. I'd say 2 out of 3 times its some kids selling something for their hockey team / girl guides / scouts / etc. I pretty much always buy whatever they are selling because they are actually out there doing something rather than letting dad guilt all of his co-workers into buying stuff. Extra points if they come to the door alone with their sales pitch.
You jinxed me. Just got a security moron come by in Douglasdale.

Normally wouldn't answer the door but am expecting someone. Need a video doorbell
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #42
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

The security moron probably could have sold you one
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #43
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
When did this happen? It is illegal in Alberta to sell furnances, water heaters, windows, AC, energy contracts door to door since Jan 1, 2017.
This would have been a bit before that, I moved away from there in October of 2016.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #44
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I hardly get anyone where I am. Last stranger knocking on my door was the brother of the missing senior Kelly Flock last year. Sad story. Wished I could've helped.

Haven't had Mormons or JWs in years.

Get the occasional politician during election campaigns. My party already has me IDed as a supporter in their database, but I do enjoy engaging the other parties/candidates. I try to tie them up at the door for as long as possible (which slows 'em down in their canvassing).
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #45
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
When did this happen? It is illegal in Alberta to sell furnances, water heaters, windows, AC, energy contracts door to door since Jan 1, 2017.
Some fraudsters stole the ID of my niece's legit company and she went to war to get that law put into place.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #46
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Is anyone else finding a dramatic rise in the amount of people knocking on your door selling useless crap you would never otherwise purchase over the last year or so in Calgary?
Nope
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #47
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't answer the door unless I am expecting someone or i recognize them. I am usually too busy anyway.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 06-21-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:48 PM   #48
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
You jinxed me. Just got a security moron come by in Douglasdale.

Normally wouldn't answer the door but am expecting someone. Need a video doorbell
$5 for the hardware and a drill = peephole. Not high tech but every bit as effective.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #49
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've gone ahead and removed my front entrance.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #50
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I used to ignore the door bell when. But my kids now run to the door and stare out the window. So I have tell people I don't need their home automation system professionally installed, I have already realized their isn't an immortal anthropomorphic sadist in the sky who is the cause of all human suffering, and people are in fact apes.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #51
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I haven't had a door to door salesperson in years although I do see the occasional JW or Mormon roaming the area.

The ones that really bug me these days are the charity muggers or chuggers. I don't care what your pitch is or how much you try and flirt with me, a random person at the mall is not going to convince me to sign up for anything.
I have noticed a ton more charity canvassers on the streets in Mission and the Beltline lately...yes, your cause might be worthy but I support who I support...Having somebody in a florescent pinnie chatter at me isn't going to get me to adopt a child, or support your charity.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #52
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few years ago a security system sales guy came to the door. I didn't want to be rude so I listened. He asked some questions, one was "Do you know your neighbours well?" I answered that incorrectly and said "Not, not well". He continued to talk to me and then came back to my neighbour and said, that they were just broken into a week ago and even though they had security cameras setup, the police wouldn't look at them because they were just web cams that the homeowner setup himself and not from a professional security system. I wasn't going to buy and I finally got the guy to leave.

A few months later I was talking with my neighbour and I asked him about the breakin.... "What break-in?". It seems that they were never broken into, and they don't even use a webcam. Huh. How about that? Over the next few months I talked to other neighbours and I couldn't find anybody who had ever been broken into. Cars, yes, but not houses.

I moved to a new home and this area gets way more door to door security sales. I listened to Vivint once and told him no. He came back a week later to arrange an install date since I had time to rethink my decision... nice try, but get lost!

Once I opened the door to Direct Energy. He came at lunch time and sometimes Canada Post rings the doorbell to drop off a package so I opened the door and I saw a guy wearing a Direct Energy shirt. Before he could finish saying hello I said "No" and slammed the door shut.

Haven't had energy sales for a couple of years, but I still get security and student painters a couple of times per year.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 AM   #53
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

If you look on Google Streetview of the blue house at the intersection of 8 Ave SE & 13 St SE - it actually doesn’t a front door. Or a front entrance at all.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #54
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You folks who don’t answer your door are odd. Really? Like you are so important you can’t open your door? For fear they might try and “sell” you something?

Answer the door. Be nice. How about being a positive influence in the world and simply say no thanks and wish that person a great day.

The world needs better people.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 07:44 AM   #55
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
how do you get pizza or chinese food?

i live in new brighton and i woudl say lately there have not been many door to door sales guys
Old 06-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #56
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I live in Royal oak and yes, I have noticed a large increase in solicitors at my door. I have an easy solution, I walk up to my door and look through the glass. if I don't know you, I don't answer.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #57
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
You folks who don’t answer your door are odd. Really? Like you are so important you can’t open your door? For fear they might try and “sell” you something?

Answer the door. Be nice. How about being a positive influence in the world and simply say no thanks and wish that person a great day.

How about you not come and disturb me with your unwanted sales pitches instead. If I want to be sold something I will go to you. You do not need to come to my home.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #58
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post

Pfft. I can be a good person even though I don't tolerate people trying to sell me crap.

We're usually in the family room in the evening. When the doorbell rings I peek out the window. If it's a neighbour or someone I know then I will answer. Otherwise it's the equivalent of putting a poster on ignore. I almost have my wife trained.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's inconvenient to have people try to sell you stuff from your doorstep. But it's civil to address them politely and say no.

We're becoming a more and more inward society, living in private caves where the people three doors down or walking by on the sidewalk may as well be in another country. That can't be healthy.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #60
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's inconvenient to have people try to sell you stuff from your doorstep. But it's civil to address them politely and say no.

I don't agree because I think it is less than civil that I have to put up with an unwanted sales pitch at my home. Come see to me all you want at my place of work but not my home. That place is strictly for family and friends. If I didn't ask you to come to my house to listen to a sales pitch then I owe you nothing.

Besides, as some people have eluded to in this thread, many door-to-door salespeople don't take a simple no for an answer. They try to debate you or come back again even after you have told them you are not interested.