Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2020, 11:03 PM   #241
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read that defensemen don't like playing for Kruger, and that's the reason for his decline, as well as Colin Miller. I would love to snag Montour, as i believe he's easily a capable top-4 defenseman-he was so good in Anaheim.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #242
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

MY COLUMBUS TRADE

to Columbus - Johnny Gaudreau, Mark Jankowski rights & Buddy Robinson rights

to Cgy - Alexander Wennberg, Josh Anderson, Kevin Stenlund, Emil Bemström, Dean Kukan

This is one of the dreaded quantity-for-quality trades but I think it is defensible. For at least two reasons and perhaps as many as five.

1. It brings in enough NHL-level players to change the nature of the team.
2. It involves three players with top-6 potential (Anderson, Wennberg, Bemström).
3. It increases our Swedish content which really appeals to me right now.
4. Creates cap space to chase free agents
5. Lots of possible centres (Monahan, Backlund, Wennberg, Bennett, Ryan, Lindholm, Bemström) plus at the prospect level (Gawdin, Pelletier, Ruzicka, Zavogrodniy, Philp, Emilio-Pettersen) creating flexibility for trades.

Calgary lineup

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Backlund-Wennberg
Dubé-Bennett-Anderson
Lucic-Ryan-Stenlund
Bemström-Rieder

Giordano-Xxxxxxx
Hanifin-Andersson
Välimäki-Kukan
Kylington

Rittich
XXXXXX

That’s $8.0 million under the cap with two spaces to fill and trade and free agent flexibility.

The weakness of this trade could be the expansion draft protection list. Only Bemström doesn’t need protection. However I am looking to make a big change in the team and its culture so there is a lot to happen before I make my protected list. Tkachuk, Lindholm and Andersson are the only ones not in play for me.

For Columbus

They get an offensive player that can add to their below average production. Jankowski is a one year flyer they take and Robinson not only follows his friend but unites with his brother Eric.

Gaudreau-Dubois-Atkinson
Texier-Foligno-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Grigorenko-Foudy
Jenner-Jankowski-Nash
ERobinson-BRobinson

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Murray-Nultivaara
Harrington

Korpisalo
Merzlikins

Under the cap by almost $2milliion and ready to build on the last season

Expansion List

Forwards - Gaudreau, Dubois, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Foligno, Jenner plus 1 of Jankowski, Grigorenko or Nyquist
Defense - Werenski, Jones, and 1 of the remaining 5 or Peeke
Goal- either/or, whomever seems better
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #243
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

No offense but gross.
That deal absolutely reeks indeed of a total quantity for quality deal with nothing of real long-term or short-term value coming back. It's basically the Phaneuf deal all over again.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #244
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
No offense but gross.
That deal absolutely reeks indeed of a total quantity for quality deal with nothing of real long-term or short-term value coming back. It's basically the Phaneuf deal all over again.
We disagree.

Wennberg reminds me of Carolina-era Lindholm.

Anderson may be a true power forward who won't disappear in the playoffs

Stenlund and Bemström both have middle-6 potential

Kukan is RHD depth.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #245
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think N26's columbus proposal is actually pretty good too.

As with Crown Royal's proposal it really prioritizes the kinds of assets the Flames will be looking to add: multiple pieces throughout the lineup on cost controlled cap hits with a bit of grit mixed in.

Wennberg's even a swede!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #246
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
We disagree.

Wennberg reminds me of Carolina-era Lindholm.

Anderson may be a true power forward who won't disappear in the playoffs

Stenlund and Bemström both have middle-6 potential

Kukan is RHD depth.
Wennberg is from the same draft as Lindholm so not really the same player. He has been getting worse every year points wise as opposed to Lindholm who was consistent.

Andersen definitely is of interest but he is a buy low guy and not a key piece of a deal for our best offensive player.

I know nothing of the prospects but middle 6 potential and depth D really doesn’t feel like the assets this team should be targeting when trading their top player.

I am with Jiri there is a whole pile of meh here and I would rather keep Gaudreau than move him for a quantity package like this.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #247
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wennberg is an adequate two way player who know produces when slotted too high in the line up. He’s the Matt stajan of the deal. He’s never had much offensive upside and is overpaid to boot!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #248
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best piece in that trade is Bemstrom, followed by Stenlund, and you have them both buried on your roster mockup.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #249
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

trading quality for quantity is not how you add to your core
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #250
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll take Wennberg to help offset salary but I want some players with upside.
Wennberg+Texier+1st/best prospect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
N26
Old 09-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #251
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I'll take Wennberg to help offset salary but I want some players with upside.
Wennberg+Texier+1st/best prospect.
I agree. Texier(LW)+Wennberg(C/RW)+Bemstrom(C/RW)+21st overall for Johnny+3rd (Edmonton 2020or21) would be a solid trade.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #252
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. I've avoided this thread like the plague.

Can't we just trade Lindholm? or Monahan? I'm getting severe Marc Savard nightmares.

7 X $7.5mil plus a senior nursing position in a low covid hospital for the wifey.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #253
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Rest of the Eastern Conference

Let's add the rest of the Eastern Conference.

I find it hard to see trades with these teams though there are definitely players I am interested in.

Buffalo

FACTS:

Approximately 640 km from family home

Only 10 NHL players, just 4 forwards (2 of whom, Skinner and Okposo, have perceived bad contracts), signed for 2020-21. Only 5 players signed for 2021-22.

Makes up a cap hit of $48,291,667 and cap space of $33,208,333. So a lot of work to do for Kevan Adams

Significant UFAs - WSimmonds, VSobotka, JVesey, ZGirgensens, JLarson, MFrolik, MHunwick, JGilmour

Significant RFAs - LUllmark, BMontour, LPilut (signed in KHL), SReinhart, VOlofsson, TThompson, DKahun, CLazar, CMittelstadt

$5.0 million+ contracts - Eichel (10.0) JSkinner (9.0), Okposo (6.0) Ristolainen (5.4)

ISSUES/OPINION

How serious is Jack Eichel’s discontent? He actually doesn’t have much power to force a trade at that AAV in a flat cap.

Outside of Dahlin, this team could have a completely new roster by 2021-22 to the one that just finished this past season.

Do the owners interfere too much?

Prospect pool is disappointing for a team that has been drafting high for so long

One of the teams believed (unsubstantiated but strong rumours) to be on a $70 million budget this year

================================================== =========================

Montreal

FACTS:

Approximately 750 km from family home

19 NHL players signed for 2020-21. Three of them are goalies as Lingren has a 1-way for 2020-21

With a cap hit of $68,547,976 so cap space of $12,952,024

A lot of draft picks (24) over the next 2 drafts.

Significant UFAs- DWeise, JEdmundson (signed today?), CFolin

Significant RFAs - MDomi, CHudon, VMete, XOuellet, JEvans, NJuulson

$5.0 million+ contracts - Price (10.), SWeber (7.875), JPetry (5.5) JDrouin (5.5)

ISSUES/OPINION

A lot of picks but a below average drafting record since 2011 with only 1 above-average pick who basically never played for them (Sergachyov). The jury is still out on some recent picks (Lotkaniemi, Poehling, Romanov etc) but the scouting department hasn’t impressed much in the last decade

GM on the hot seat

Great value contracts in Petry ($5.5) and Gallagher ($3.75)

Rabid fan base and media keep intense pressure on the team to succeed

Detroit

FACTS:

Approximately 970 km from family home

Only 11 NHL players signed for 2020-21. Only 3 defensemen. Only 5 players signed for 2021-22.

Makes up a cap hit of $46,825,000 so cap space of $33,208,333.18.

Significant UFAs- JHoward, TDaley, JEricsson, KBrodziak, SGagner

Significant RFAs - AErne, TBertuzzi, AMantha, DTimashov, BPerlini, CEhn, MBowey, THirose

$5.0 million+ contracts - Larkin (6.1), FNeilsen (5.25), DeKeyser (5.0)

ISSUES/OPINION

Can be argued that only 9 of the 11 contracts they have can be considered overpays. Only Larkin and Biega having appropriate numbers

Decent prospect pool but several have been rushed (ie Cholowski, Hronek, Rasmussen) which is the opposite of how Detroit used to operate. Yzerman has stated this will change.

Lots of draft picks

Next year, with Helm, Filpula and Nemeth contracts gone, seems the time to go for it rather than this year.

Perhaps Yzerman can exploit his former team's cap issues. Or perhaps get available Detroit-area players like Torey Krug, Andy Greene, Ian Cole, Austin Czarnik or Tyler Motte.

================================================== =======================

Ottawa

FACTS:

Approximately 750 km from family home

22 draft picks in the next 2 drafts

Only 10 NHL players signed for 2020-21. Only 3 players signed past 2021-22 (Zaitsev, Chabot and White)

Cap hit $41,904,167 so they are not even at the floor yet.

Cap space of $39,595,833

Significant UFAs- MPeca, RHainsey, MBorowiecki, CAnderson

Significant RFAs - CBrown, CTierney, RBalcers, CJaros, ADuclair, JHawryluk. FChlapik

ISSUES/OPINION

Several good prospects but questionable player development

No need for Johnny for a few years

Ownership issues. In terms of finances, character and meddling

================================================== ====================

Florida

FACTS

Approximately 1860 km from Gaudreau family home

13 NHLers signed next year at a cap hit of $60,536,288

Significant UFAs - EDadanov, MHoffman, BBoyle, EHaula, MPysyk,

Significant RFAs - SMountembeault, HBorgström, MWeegar, LWallmark, DToninato, DHunt, ASaarela

$5.0 million+ contracts - Ekblad (7.5), KYandle (6.35) Huberdeau (5.9), Barkov (5.9), Bobrovsky (10.0) and Strålman (5.5)

Paying almost $4.0 million in cap for non-roster players

ISSUES/OPINION:

Have spent a lot of time as playoff tweeners. Frustration is growing.

New GM and rumours of a below-cap budget

Decent prospects at forward. Not much ar D.

Yandle and Bobrovsky contracts (and maybe Matheson) not looking good

TAMPA BAY

FACTS:

Approximately 1660 km from Gaudreau family home

Capfriendly says they have $76,166,666 committed to 15 players in 2020-21. Cap space of $5,333,334

Significant UFAs - PMaroon. JRutta, LSchenn, KShattenkirk, ZBogosian

Significant RFAs - ECernak, MSergachev, ACirelli, MStephens, CVerhaeghe, MJoseph

No RHD who have played an NHL game are signed for next year

Decent number of picks (17) over the next 2 drafts for a contender but no 2020 1st

Big 6 (Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Hedman, McDonagh & Vasilevsky) all signed for at least 2 more seasons

ISSUES/OPINION:

Major cap issues but playoff run is making several guys (Gourde, Kilhorn, Johnson & Shattenkirk) look attractive despite their high-ish cap hits.

Not a deep prospect pool but some good names

Seem very motivated to keep Cirelli, Sergachyov and Cernak despite lack of cap space. Lots of picks, prospects and middle tier players should be available.
The Following User Says Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:36 PM   #254
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffalo

Gaudreau+Kylington+19
For
Reinhart+Montour+8+39

Rationale for Buffalo:
This is a franchise that needs to shake things up. They have a new GM and their franchise player just out the team on notice he is not pleased with missing the playoffs. Buffalo also has to shed payroll and whole Johnny has a 6.75M cap hit for 2 years but after he is paid his next bonus he is only owed $10M in cash so essentially he is a $5M player for the next 2 Years.

In addition a new GM might not be thrilled with 2 long term RFA deals that need to be done. In that sense it is similar to Carolina where the Flames acquired Lindholm and Hanifin.

Rationale for Calgary.
Right shots to slide into the top 6 and top 4. The Flames would have to be willing to offer 5-6 year deals but at 24 and 26 they fit the age group of the team. The 8th overall pick adds a much better prospect than 19th overall and they get an additional 2nd

Flames top 6/4

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm
Mangipane-Backlund-Reinhart

Gio-Andersson
Hanifin-Montour
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #255
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you trade John you can kiss the playoffs good bye. Sean is the one you trade. Id argue the return would be better. John stirs the drink for any line he plays on. Can the same be said about Sean. No. Sean goes.

Last edited by TheChief; 09-16-2020 at 08:42 PM.
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #256
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Going to mix things up a little here with a three-way with the Lightning and Red Wings.

To Tampa Bay Lightning
  • Johnny Gaudreau ($6,750,000),
To Detroit Red Wings
  • Oliver Kylington (RFA)
  • 1st in 2021 (Lightning)
  • Ondrej Palat ($5,300,000)
  • Salary Retained on Johnson ($2,500,000)
To Calgary Flames
  • Anthony Cirelli (RFA)
  • Tyler Johnson (via Detroit, $2,500,000)
  • 2nd in 2020

Basically the deal is Gaudreau for Cirelli,Johnson and a 2nd, but we give Detroit Kylington to eat half of Johnson's contract and Tampa gives them a 1st in 2021 to take Palat's contract.

This would give Tampa $15m+ to fill out their roster, plus adding another elite winger in Gaudreau who could play opposite Kucherov.

Detroit adds a young defenseman with potential and a first round pick to take Palat and eat 2.5min cap for the next few years, less in real dollars.

Flames get a young #2C and a middle RH RW without adding much if any salary after Cirelli signs.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 12:34 AM   #257
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Going to mix things up a little here with a three-way with the Lightning and Red Wings.

To Tampa Bay Lightning
  • Johnny Gaudreau ($6,750,000),
To Detroit Red Wings
  • Oliver Kylington (RFA)
  • 1st in 2021 (Lightning)
  • Ondrej Palat ($5,300,000)
  • Salary Retained on Johnson ($2,500,000)
To Calgary Flames
  • Anthony Cirelli (RFA)
  • Tyler Johnson (via Detroit, $2,500,000)
  • 2nd in 2020

Basically the deal is Gaudreau for Cirelli,Johnson and a 2nd, but we give Detroit Kylington to eat half of Johnson's contract and Tampa gives them a 1st in 2021 to take Palat's contract.

This would give Tampa $15m+ to fill out their roster, plus adding another elite winger in Gaudreau who could play opposite Kucherov.

Detroit adds a young defenseman with potential and a first round pick to take Palat and eat 2.5min cap for the next few years, less in real dollars.

Flames get a young #2C and a middle RH RW without adding much if any salary after Cirelli signs.
I don’t think the Lightning trade Cirelli for Gaudreau let alone throw in all those additional assets.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:02 AM   #258
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has me banging my head off the wall, less than a year ago we were starting to ramp up interest for a new season and how our dynamic leading scorer could improve on his 6th place overall 99 pt season, now, after a poor season where nothing went right we have wannabe GM's trading him for bits,pieces and scraps.

For the love of god people, leave the trade game to the real GM's and go back to your play stations and Xbox's.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #259
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
This thread has me banging my head off the wall, less than a year ago we were starting to ramp up interest for a new season and how our dynamic leading scorer could improve on his 6th place overall 99 pt season, now, after a poor season where nothing went right we have wannabe GM's trading him for bits,pieces and scraps.

For the love of god people, leave the trade game to the real GM's and go back to your play stations and Xbox's.
Thread is pretty clearly labeled. I recommend steering clear because this is what happens in the offseason
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #260
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

In the very first post this thread states it assumes a Gaudreau trade as a given and proceeds from there.

It invites participants in that assumption and says this isn't the place to debate the should aspect but to look at returns.

So if you read it and got angry it's your own fault.

But I just returned from my Buddhist Meditation course and know that life is suffering. Your karma led you here. Enjoy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:

Tags
johnny gaudreau , trade idea