Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #181
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
misery loves company i guess.

i think that at the very least, we can agree that the Flames inconsistency is pretty frustrating.
Well yeah that is an understatement...I'm not excusing their road trip, just saying

Who expected losing to Montreal and the Sens and beating TO, hockey is weird. Team needs another top end forward though
Old 01-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #182
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Well yeah that is an understatement...I'm not excusing their road trip, just saying

Who expected losing to Montreal and the Sens and beating TO, hockey is weird. Team needs another top end forward though
Rittich stole Toronto. Hell the Leafs have averaged 4 goals against a game for the past few weeks and we could barely squeeze 1 by them.

Our offence went missing around the all star break last year, and at this point I think it’s no longer missing, but just gone. Something needs to be done.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #183
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

agreed...

i thought that maybe the Flames figured it out after they had their runs when Ward was first hired, and then with the great start in the new year including a tremendous game vs Edmonton just before going on this road trip, which i was expecting a 2-1 record.

i think at this point the flames do need an injection of some skill and jamb into the top 6... even if it requires moving someone we don't want to move, if the return is fair, it might need to happen.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:28 PM   #184
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been a long time coming. Been winning on the backs of the goalies for too long now. I legitimately think Gio losing a step has exposed the top 6. He's still good, but just not on the same level as when he was dictating the pace last season.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #185
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
You have seven coaches listed above as failures. Seven. 7.

Meanwhile we have a core group of players that come up short, consistently, every year, over and over again...

And you want more explanation on how the coaches aren't the problem? Like the team is one pep talk or white board play or one system change away from not showing up to compete against the bottom feeder teams of the league, or never being able to win a playoff round.

Ridiculous.

Ridiculous? The only thing 'ridiculous' is how you respond. Why the need to be so demeaning. That's fine, I will respond in kind.

7 coaches listed spanning FIFTEEN (15!) years. That's the damn point. How many coaches during that time have left the Flames and went on to coach somewhere else - i.e. - how many coaches did other teams feel were decent enough candidates to re-hire elsewhere in the NHL as a head coach?

ONE (1)!

What makes you think that Ward is better? Like I said, I don't know if he is better or not, and it really may not be fair to put him in either 'good' or 'bad' box.

Also, it is also ridiculous of you to look at the list of coaches I posted and summarize that as 7 coaching changes for this team and that there is not another one needed. Two different cores with completely different personnel + massive changes from coach to coach.

That whole post just flew right over your head.

Let me make it easier for you:

Name me one single coach outside of Darryl Sutter who seemed qualified enough for another team to hire him as a head coach after his tenure was up on the Flames. Name ONE.

I can list you another handful of coaches that didn't get a sniff after Calgary as well from before Darryl Sutter's days.

This team has had an awful time hiring competent coaching. It would be 'ridiculous' to conclude that since they have fired their previous coach for racist comments and abusive actions and having the associate coach take over with the interim title that this was a legitimate and well thought-out coaching change.

I am not even arguing that Ward needs to be replaced. I am arguing that it is practically absurd to not have a discussion about a coaching change with candidates like Gallant and Laviolette available. Given the history of the Flames, and the current coaches complete inexperience at being a head coach in the NHL, and given the game-to-game performance of the Flames, it is rather an absurd notion to have that amount of confidence in this coaching staff.

So yes, I would like YOU to enlighten the ridiculous me as to why you are so sure that coaching is not the issue. Please let me know how ridiculous I am being by explaining away what Ward has implemented and how it is working. Until then, I really have no choice but to remain very skeptical - not negative, but rather skeptical - that coaching is not an issue.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #186
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yet another statement game followed by crap on the ice. Our last game of the season is the Grease, meaning we'll probably roll them and then not show up for round 1.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:58 PM   #187
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well here's some good news. Janko's goal was a really nice one. Backhand top corner. That was a beauty.

Also showed some good play in the previous game as well, so maybe there is better things to come? No one really knows for sure, but at least he's starting to show some real signs of playing genuinely better hockey.

Has to keep it up to convince me that he's really turning a corner.

Last edited by Karl; 01-18-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #188
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was nasty. Dirty nasty.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:27 AM   #189
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Actually I suggested maybe you stay out if you know it's going to be something you hate so much and since apparently are. That's not lecturing, it's a recommendation.

Try that next time instead of posting about it and creating more content around it. Maybe it'll be easier for everyone involved.
I hate so much???

Incapable of just moving on to the next post???

Excuse me while I get some hip waders. The bull in here is getting pretty deep!
Old 01-19-2020, 12:32 AM   #190
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
it's just flat trolling
You rang?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:50 AM   #191
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But you have to admit that this kind of stuff that VanFlamesfan comes in to do does not add anything, in fact it detracts from discourse. It's just silly stuff. The negativity can be annoying, but ultimately what I want from discussion is everyone just discussing their true feelings and thoughts on the topics, positive or negative.
That was my true feeling after the game. I opened the PGT to see the outrage because I find it entertaining to read. I was here for that and I got it.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 AM   #192
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m as positive a Flames fan as anyone. And I lightly poke at people who post negative stuff after a win (I’m just ribbing them usually). But valid criticism about the game in a PGT is just fine with me. I do find common ground with posters who complain about the over the top stuff, the hyperbole over the team (either way) and the failure to see the big picture. I mean, what team wouldn’t want Calgary’s record over the last 20 games?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:00 AM   #193
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
That was my true feeling after the game. I opened the PGT to see the outrage because I find it entertaining to read. I was here for that and I got it.
There love of schadenfreude must be a Vancouver thing.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 AM   #194
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's the complete no shows in games that shouldn't even take that much of a GAF from everyone to come out with points in that makes no sense, when you have games like Toronto and Edmonton in recent memory.

9 teams in a row had no issues squeezing their two points out of the senators, and I'm sure a few of them were looking past them too.

I just want to know how we're so goddamn talented at pissing away gifts when they're laid in front of us.

I dont. ####ing. Get. It. Are some of these guys more interested in getting back to Fortnite than playing these games?

I just have no answers for Gaudreau, coming off basically 100 points, wiping out in slow motion skating the puck back into his own end and throwing it to a forechecker, back passing to no one and only shooting from a 2° angle on the perimeter. Where's the hunger to make an impactful hockey play?

Some games it looks like they're like "sure why not, i hate that team" other nights its like they hate just being there and couldn't care less, merely collecting a paycheque (except the guys between the pipes).

Even the No Goods in a 1 o'clock matinee trap game on the verge of their break against the coyotes were able to get the job done.

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-19-2020 at 01:18 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #195
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
There love of schadenfreude must be a Vancouver thing.
See also: pipeline politics.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #196
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
Yet another statement game followed by crap on the ice. Our last game of the season is the Grease, meaning we'll probably roll them and then not show up for round 1.
I'm pretty doubtful that there will be a round 1 game for the Flames. I expect every team in the Pacific/West to come out much hungrier for points after the All Star break and unfortunately I don't think the Flames have much more to give. Also Flames management has a poor track record of trade deadline additions so I don't expect them to build the team for a run while other teams will likely be shopping around to fill gaps.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #197
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

A teardown and rebuild would be more entertaining than watching this team moving forward.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #198
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
A teardown and rebuild would be more entertaining than watching this team moving forward.
Agreed. This team is woefully short on the give a $&@! meter. Bring in a new coach, I don’t care, but it’s time for a change to the roster as well. To many passengers not enough drivers.

This core has had to many coaches, to many styles of coaches, IMO it’s on the players now. They don’t want to be yelled at they don’t want to pushed, bring in a player coaches and they can’t find consistency. The core is broken and incomplete.

Bennet sucks, Johnny is incomplete, Gio is old and can’t carry the emotional, physical and offensive load from the backend anymore(rightfully so), Monahan is passive although showing more this year, Lucic is one dimensional, Backlund is lost this year etc etc.

Enough is enough. Start the roster corrections now build a more consistent team and be ready to compete when the new building opens. Just my 2 cents.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichKlit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #199
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last Season Johnny and Monahan were the primary leaders but not strong enough to lead the team through the playoffs. Monahan comes back more prepared but Johnny comes back somewhat disinterested. Coaches probably saw this issue, especially from their lack of play before the playoffs and early to start the season. If that current leadership was tanking the season on poor disinterested play they (Flames) had to address it. Business as usual, we saw a coaching change and some efforts to address the top line.

This season Matthew Tkachuk emerges and shows up driving the bus on many nights while Johnny and Monahan refuse to drive it. Tonight an important game for Matthew Tkachuk playing against his brother and a few key guys decide to pack it in yet again. Coincidence?

If Johnny wants to be traded he is going to find out quickly that he will have to make new friendships and that he will be leaving a group behind for purely selfish reasons. He and Monahan didn't show up at the beginning of the season that is on them. They took for granted the opportunity they were given and the team didn't buy it. There was a point where it looked like we were actually tanking the season. Those 2 had an opportunity handed to them including being paid millions and this is how they repay the organization!?

This is exactly why Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau are not fit to lead the team they are only showing up when they feel like it. It can't be an easy job for Ward to get all the guys buying into the same goal. If goaltending is not stealing games for us we would be in a lot worse shape. I think Backlund needs better line-mates because he is not a fit with those 2 guys.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #200
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’d like to see Monahan without Jonny, and no Backlund doesn’t need better line mates he needs worse ones on the third line where he belongs.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post: