Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #61
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Good post except I disagree that Hertl is better as a winger. His big jump in production came when he moved to centre IIRC.
Well you may be right. And I think it's safe to say that he is going to be a C going forward, regardless. This is probably Thornton's last year. And Couture is going to be able to carry less and less weight every year. Somebody is going to have to play C.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #62
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don’t know why people keep referencing the Flames in this thread. It really has nothing to do with the underwhelming existence of the consistently over-rated SJ Sharks. As to the (surprisingly) contentious point of their “perennial” losing, one only needs to answer two questions...

Q1: Have the Sharks ever won a championship?
Q2: Do the Sharks appear poised to win a championship any time in the near future?

The answer to both questions is “No.”
The Flames keep getting brought up because contrasting your argument here against your arguments in the Flames banner thread just underscores how self-serving your position is. You often come off as an unabashed promoter of the Flames organization, which is fine, but you shouldn't act so surprised when people call you out on your inconsistencies.

In one thread, you were trying to ignore the fact that the Flames crapped the bed against Colorado to focus on the regular season. Then you turn around here and argue that the only thing that matters is playoff success - and then ignore just how much playoff success the Sharks have had.

So yeah, the inconsistency of your arguments has raised eyebrows because the only way you can position the Sharks as "perennial losers" is to cherry pick exactly one factor and take the most extreme position on it possible. It's also literally the only way you can present any kind of claim that the Sharks are worse than the Flames. That's not a reasonable position. And to be perfectly honest, no one can save your argument. No one.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #63
Crazy Flamer
First Line Centre
 
Crazy Flamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And yet they have many more Pacific Division banners than we do.
Do those banners constitute a winning team, though? Because the Flames earned that banner last year and I couldn't give a flying ####.
__________________
Bleeding the Flaming C!!!
Crazy Flamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #64
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Flames keep getting brought up because contrasting your argument here against your arguments in the Flames banner thread just underscores how self-serving your position is. You often come off as an unabashed promoter of the Flames organization, which is fine, but you shouldn't act so surprised when people call you out on your inconsistencies.

In one thread, you were trying to ignore the fact that the Flames crapped the bed against Colorado to focus on the regular season. Then you turn around here and argue that the only thing that matters is playoff success - and then ignore just how much playoff success the Sharks have had.

So yeah, the inconsistency of your arguments has raised eyebrows because the only way you can position the Sharks as "perennial losers" is to cherry pick exactly one factor and take the most extreme position on it possible. It's also literally the only way you can present any kind of claim that the Sharks are worse than the Flames. That's not a reasonable position. And to be perfectly honest, no one can save your argument. No one.
Oh no, a Flames fan on a Flames-fan message board is heavily biased towards the Flames to the point of being unreasonable. Whatever will we do. How will we recover.

Y’all take it way too seriously. Have some fun.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #65
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Flames keep getting brought up because contrasting your argument here against your arguments in the Flames banner thread just underscores how self-serving your position is...
Ah, yes. What was that argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
The way in which our season came to a close following the ASB and then the embarrassment of the playoffs really sucked the life out of any desire to celebrate what was an otherwise entertaining season...
I get the disappointment of the early playoffs exit, but what was wrong with how the regular season ended? The Flames won top seed in the West with games to spare, and they played some excellent hockey down the stretch including a textbook road game in SJ to clinch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
..."overshadowing" the memory is entirely different than revising it altogether. The fact is, the Flames played a very good second half—definitely not as good as the first, but also not anywhere near the debacle that some people seem to misremember. The disappointment should come exclusively from what happened in the playoffs, because the regular season—from start to finish—is rightly characterized is pretty spectacular...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
...At issue here is not how we should feel about the totality of the 2018–19 season, but rather how should we feel about the second most impressive Regular Season in franchise history...

So, in the end my recommendation continues to be this: If you are going to be disappointed, then be disappointed about the Playoffs. I don't see how any useful purpose is served to use that frustration to exaggerate the truth about the Regular Season, which is what was taking place in the post to which I responded in the first place. My problem is with the exaggeration, not the disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You often come off as an unabashed promoter of the Flames organization, which is fine, but you shouldn't act so surprised when people call you out on your inconsistencies.
That would be fine where inconsistencies preside, or if they were unexplained. I don't see any here, where I am not content to join in the weird infatuation with the SJ Sharks, and to propagate the myth about Joe Thornton's passionate desire to win a championship at all costs.

Quote:
In one thread, you were trying to ignore the fact that the Flames crapped the bed against Colorado to focus on the regular season. Then you turn around here and argue that the only thing that matters is playoff success - and then ignore just how much playoff success the Sharks have had.
Wrong. In the other thread I stated SEVERAL times that the 2019 playoffs were a disappointment, and that we are all unsurprisingly disappointed by them. My problem there is with how that disappointment has affected some posters memories about the regular season, causing them to rewrite the history of what actually happened in 2019.

As for the Sharks and their own playoff success, I am not the one who brought it up, and I fail to see why fawning over the history of a rival team is something that we should lionize here. I am a Flames fan and I hate the SJ Sharks. I will make no apology for that.

Quote:
So yeah, the inconsistency of your arguments has raised eyebrows because the only way you can position the Sharks as "perennial losers" is to cherry pick exactly one factor and take the most extreme position on it possible. It's also literally the only way you can present any kind of claim that the Sharks are worse than the Flames. That's not a reasonable position. And to be perfectly honest, no one can save your argument. No one.
I'm not making an argument. I am expressing an opinion borne of my very strong contempt for one of the rivals of my favourite team. The fact of the matter is that as fans we are all helplessly biased, and all our pretentious attempts at objectivity and "reasonable positions" are irreparably impaired by our prejudice. I am happy to own mine, and again, I make no apology for continuing to assert with every breath and keystroke that THE SJ SHARKS SUCK, AND THEY WILL ALWAYS SUCK.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-07-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #66
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

The funny thing, Text, is in that thread people said the playoff suckage sort of ruined the season for them. Most of them didn't say "regular season". You did. Because you needed to change the context to avoid having to admit the Flames are still 'perennial losers'.

And though you won't admit it, you know full well that you wish the Flames "sucked" as much as the Sharks over the last three decades. Your feelings are borne of jealousy, and it's writ plain in how you post.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #67
powderjunkie
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Their time is nigh. SJ is well and deep into the back half of their competitive window. Things for them will get progressively worse with each passing year; not better.




It’s not silly (well, maybe it’s a little silly). It’s a rivalry. The Sharks are in the way, and the Flames will run them over. Thornton will soon retire a very happy man without a ring, and the dream of a Stanley Cup in SJ will be but a sad, distant and painful memory.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just quoting for posterity in case they manage to win it this year

I guess I've just never really seen them as a 'rival' anymore than most teams in the Western Conference. Obviously the Canucks and Oilers hold a special place in hell; otherwise, I only see any semblance of rivalry with the Ducks (the big brawl, Honda Centre streak, and they eliminated Flames teams that were more promising than when the Sharks have beaten us).

Not that it really matters, but I doubt the Flames register as rivals at all for the Sharks (or Ducks for that matter). I imagine the California teams have their own thing, and then the Sharks have had more playoff series with the Blues (6), Red Wings (5), and Avalanche (5) than their 3 with the Flames.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #68
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default Sharks re-sign Joe Thornton (1 year, $2 million)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The funny thing, Text, is in that thread people said the playoff suckage sort of ruined the season for them. Most of them didn't say "regular season". You did. Because you needed to change the context to avoid having to admit the Flames are still 'perennial losers'...
I continue to belabour the point because I really hate being misrepresented. I addressed ONE poster on ONE point in that thread: HIS CHARACTERISATION OF THE POST-ASB REGULAR SEASON AS SOMETHING ABOUT WHICH FLAMES FANS SHOULD BE DISAPPOINTED.

I don’t really care what you think of my own motivation for posting in that thread what I did; nor do I care what you think of my own disdain for the SJ Sharks. My feelings are what they are, and I will express them freely. Heaven forbid that someone dare to speak poorly of the amazing N California hockey franchise that is aging into oblivion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-07-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: In compliance with Resolute 14's exception taken to my "misrepresentation" of Barnett Flames's post.
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #69
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Just quoting for posterity in case they manage to win it this year ...
Why on earth?!

Will the failure of my prediction somehow make you feel better? Weird.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #70
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

If you are going to complain about how much you hate being misrepresented, Text, then be honest enough not to misrepresent others. Barnet Flame did complain about the post-ASB play of the team for some reason, but he clearly and specifically reserved his use of "embarrassing" for the team's playoff performance. And nobody suggested Flames fans should feel embarrassed about anything. Everything you typed in this post is a complete misrepresentation of what was actually said.

Practice what you preach.

As far as your misprepresentation of the Sharks historical performance goes, I doubt you'll be willing to listen to anything right now given you are clearly on full tilt.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #71
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
If you are going to complain about how much you hate being misrepresented, Text, then be honest enough not to misrepresent others. Barnet Flame did complain about the post-ASB play of the team for some reason, but he clearly and specifically reserved his use of "embarrassing" for the team's playoff performance. And nobody suggested Flames fans should feel embarrassed about anything. Everything you typed in this post is a complete misrepresentation of what was actually said.
"Everything is a complete misrepresentation"? Yeah, no.

I am happy to retract my use of "embarrassed" to characterize Barnett's post to which I responded, and I expect you to do the same with your own misrepresentation of my point.

Quote:
As far as your misprepresentation of the Sharks historical performance goes, I doubt you'll be willing to listen to anything right now given you are clearly on full tilt.
I bet all those raging Sharks fans are happy to listen to whatever pearls of wisdom you have to dispense about the amazing and unsurpassed greatness of their teal-clad franchise. Have at it.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-07-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016