Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #21
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They've identified the shooter:

Quote:
The suspect is Jarrod W. Ramos, a 38-year-old Laurel man with a longstanding dispute with the Capital, according to law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation.

On Thursday evening, federal and local law enforcement officials blocked off with crime-scene tape the Laurel apartment complex listed as the address for Ramos, whose dispute with the Capital began in July 2011 when a columnist at the paper covered a criminal harassment case against him.

In 2012, Ramos brought a defamation suit against the columnist and the paper’s former editor and publisher. In 2015, Maryland’s second-highest court upheld a ruling in favor of the Capital Gazette and a former reporter who were accused by Ramos of defamation.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...628-story.html
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:17 AM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Another incel?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...628-story.html

Quote:
The harassment case centered on an online relationship Ramos tried to kindle with a former high school classmate. Hartley’s column said Ramos sent a friend request on Facebook to the woman, and the experience turned into a “yearlong nightmare.” Ramos allegedly wrote the woman and said she was the only person who ever said hello to him or was nice to him in school.

Ramos then allegedly called her vulgar names and told her to kill herself, Hartley wrote. He allegedly emailed the bank where she worked to get her fired. Ramos pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor harassment charge, receiving probation from a judge who called his behavior “rather bizarre,” the column said.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:58 AM   #23
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The opinion page in Friday's paper was left mostly blank with a brief message: "Today, we are speechless. This page is intentionally left blank today to commemorate victims of Thursday's shootings at our office." It listed the five victims' names.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/30/us/capital-gazette-shooting/index.html
Old 07-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #24
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Murica, #### yeah!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1018372408074522624
Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #25
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

The company that owns the Mandalay Bay hotel is suing the victims of the Las Vegas shooting. Apparently they aren't suing for money but to prevent the victims from suing them.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #26
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Active shooter has barricaded himself in a Los Angeles Trader Joe's supermarket, he has already shot 2 people and is threatening to "execute" more.

This is probably not going to end well.

Hostage situation at Trader Joe's
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #27
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw this on CNN - a reversal to an existing law means that beginning on August 1, Americans will be allowed to download plans online and 3D print their own guns at home.

Uh.... Okay?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:14 AM   #28
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Just saw this on CNN - a reversal to an existing law means that beginning on August 1, Americans will be allowed to download plans online and 3D print their own guns at home.

Uh.... Okay?
First amendment yo. In other news, the US needs a new constitution.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #29
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

Uh.... Okay?
The most annoying thing is that when you try to talk to people about this they says things like "who cares. So you can print out some plastic stuff you still need the metal parts to make it a true weapon".

You can 3D print fully dense, seemless metal. We do it everyday. I guarantee not a single lawmaker understands that 3D printing extends far beyond melting some poly beads and making something pretty. And that's clear from the articles.

But the NRA does. You better believe that. It also won't take long for gun makers to pivot from manufacturing to design and sale of plans online.

There will be an influx of guns and law enforcement will have even less tools to work with to get them off the street. Law enforcement, btw, is appalled at this decision.

Last edited by ernie; 07-27-2018 at 07:51 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #30
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

So yes, you can 3D print the frames, slides, receivers, etc.

But you'll still have to assemble this stuff, and it would take someone of some decently good gunsmithing skills to put together a whole handgun, with all of the intricacies of the internals.

Not to say that it's impossible, but not every Joe Schmoe can just get the equipment and voila, here comes a perfectly functional 3d-printed gun for you to go and some shooting with, without you having to do anything to make it operable. It's not like it's Star Trek where they ask the computer to conjure up whatever, and it replicates it for them...

The ability to 3d-print your own parts is interesting...
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #31
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a mass shooting, but good news

https://twitter.com/user/status/1025060224384659456
Old 08-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #32
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
So yes, you can 3D print the frames, slides, receivers, etc.

But you'll still have to assemble this stuff, and it would take someone of some decently good gunsmithing skills to put together a whole handgun, with all of the intricacies of the internals.

Not to say that it's impossible, but not every Joe Schmoe can just get the equipment and voila, here comes a perfectly functional 3d-printed gun for you to go and some shooting with, without you having to do anything to make it operable. It's not like it's Star Trek where they ask the computer to conjure up whatever, and it replicates it for them...

The ability to 3d-print your own parts is interesting...
Would it be so hard with a Youtube video showing you what to do? I can replace any part on my phone, even though I know little about it just by watching videos and doing what they say. Can't be any harder with a gun.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Would it be so hard with a Youtube video showing you what to do? I can replace any part on my phone, even though I know little about it just by watching videos and doing what they say. Can't be any harder with a gun.
Wouldn't these plans just hit the piracy websites anyway if they haven't already? If the MPAA and others can't successfully stop file sharing, why would this be any different?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:11 AM   #34
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh for sure, if someone spells it out, step by step, and you take the weeks to obtain all of the springs, other parts and tools that you need, etc., then meticulously spend a bunch of hours putting things together, for sure it can be done.

But this is an effort of probably upwards of 100 hours, rather than just print it and use it. That's the entire point that I was trying to make.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #35
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Oh for sure, if someone spells it out, step by step, and you take the weeks to obtain all of the springs, other parts and tools that you need, etc., then meticulously spend a bunch of hours putting things together, for sure it can be done.

But this is an effort of probably upwards of 100 hours, rather than just print it and use it. That's the entire point that I was trying to make.
I guess I'm confused becuase this is what I saw with the printed gun, and it doesn't seem to have any extra springs and such, and sure doesn't look like 100 hours of effort to put together.
Spoiler!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #36
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can’t see how people think the availability of plans will cause rampant printing and an increase in gun crime. The fact that it’s most likely cheaper to go buy a gun than to print and assemble one aside, how reliable do people really think these are? You’re exposing plastic to 35,000+psi, it’s not going to last, if it even manages to fire one round. And even if you manage to get one past an X-ray or metal detector, you still won’t have ammunition for it.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #37
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone remember in the line of fire? Kind of reminds me of that.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 03:44 AM   #38
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Anyone remember in the line of fire? Kind of reminds me of that.
Took me a bit to figure out what you were referring to. Not being a grammar enforcer, lol, it should read "In the Line of Fire." It's the Clint Eastwood, Renee Russo, and John Malkovich movie.

Here is the clip that you're thinking of.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #39
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Can’t see how people think the availability of plans will cause rampant printing and an increase in gun crime. The fact that it’s most likely cheaper to go buy a gun than to print and assemble one aside, how reliable do people really think these are? You’re exposing plastic to 35,000+psi, it’s not going to last, if it even manages to fire one round. And even if you manage to get one past an X-ray or metal detector, you still won’t have ammunition for it.
The technology is only in its infancy right now though.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #40
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The technology is only in its infancy right now though.
and in addition and if its such a useless technology, what's the fuss about banning it?

"firing once" is enough to change people's lives, more often than not, towards a downward spiral.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote