Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #401
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm watching. Just terrible buildup play from the vets through the midfield (Hutchinson looks okay) Thankfully 3 of them won't be around much longer

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #402
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is painful.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #403
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mercifully, the final whistle has been blown. Very ugly for both sides.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #404
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, we didn't lose in Central America. If we had done that in 2012 we would've made the Hex. Ugly ugly performance but the result is there. Usually it is the other way around with this team.

First 65 minutes were absolutely dreadful to watch, but we at least created a little bit going forward once Osorio and Teibert came on. The kids outplayed the vets by far, with the exception of Henry, who was terrible. I think the Henry at RB experiment is done, and Floro must have agreed because he moved Henry to CB late in the game.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #405
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Henry was an absolute turnover machine. Very slow to make decisions.

So glad there was a Flames game on, otherwise I probably would have suffered through the rest of that game.

On a side note, I can't believe how hot it was at night time with the humidity. Players were absolutely drenched, which I'm sure had something to do with the quality. I know that I struggle playing in the heat, and that's only in Calgary summers...
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #406
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Well, we didn't lose in Central America. If we had done that in 2012 we would've made the Hex. Ugly ugly performance but the result is there. Usually it is the other way around with this team.
That's the silver lining, and I should be more positive. Slugging out an ugly draw in the humidity in places like Panama is actually what this team needs to do more of in qualifying. Better than losing. You're absolutely right.

Canada could do with more of these type of friendlies to learn the conditions, etc.

But it was still one of the least entertaining matches I have seen in a number of years!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #407
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well the Concacaf World Cup Qualifying cycle format is set:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canad...ld-cup-russia/

Looks OK for Canada, we got seeded 9th based on Concacaf's decision to use August 2014 rankings (got real lucky there, concacaf must spin a wheel or something).

First two rounds could be either total Caribbean cakewalks or maybe one low hurdle in Central America in Guatemala or El Salvador if they get unlucky... they should still beat those teams pretty easily.

Semis draw is going to be huge. Could get a group of death with the USA, Honduras and Jamaica or a manageable one with Costa Rica, Trinidad and Aruba.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #408
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada will be playing Iceland twice in January (Jan 16 and 19) in Florida. Another good test for the Reds.

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-mnt-t...anuary-p157307

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #409
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canada will be playing Iceland twice in January (Jan 16 and 19) in Florida. Another good test for the Reds.

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-mnt-t...anuary-p157307
Hopefully at least one of these will be televised, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #410
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was really hoping that the U-20 world cup qualifying tournament would be on tv in January that is going to be a great tournament to watch, Canada has some pretty good prospects in this group. No word on tv yet though, sometimes the CSA webcasts the games if they're not on tv.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #411
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Luke Wileman @lukewileman

TSN has confirmed Canadian defender Doneil Henry has been successful getting a work permit and can now compete a move to West Ham in January.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #412
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
TSN has confirmed Canadian defender Doneil Henry has been successful getting a work permit and can now compete a move to West Ham in January.
Awesome news. Didn't people in Toronto feel he wasn't good enough for TFC?
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #413
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, people tended to notice Henry's high profile mistakes (handballs, penalties from challenges in the box) and ignore his quality play.

He's very raw, but many folks think he has the potential to be one of the best defenders Canada has ever produced. IMO he and Edgar will be our CB pairing for the next 2 world cup cycles.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #414
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, people tended to notice Henry's high profile mistakes (handballs, penalties from challenges in the box) and ignore his quality play.

He's very raw, but many folks think he has the potential to be one of the best defenders Canada has ever produced. IMO he and Edgar will be our CB pairing for the next 2 world cup cycles.
The problem I have with many Henry loyalists is that they think just because he has potential, that means he's a great player today. I wouldn't have rated Henry as very good or a good mls CB last year. He just has lots of potential. Harsh, but true.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #415
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a fair point, and I would agree that on average, Henry was simply an average CB in MLS. It is still just potential at this point, but for potential to be realized there needs to be an opportunity for Henry to play. I think he showed more consistency in 2014 compared to years past, although the glaring mistakes were still there. IMO he wouldn't have had a chance to work through the consistency issues being stapled to the bench for another rookie CB, who made the same mistakes.

21 years old, 106 professional and international caps, and a transfer to a Premier League team in a Champions League spot shows there is someone out there who knows more about the game than myself willing to develop him.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #416
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I think Henry has a lot going for him, he is a great tackler, he is getting better at being physical without crossing the line (red cards will drop off IMO), he's a power house in the air and inside both boxes on set pieces.

What he lacks though… oh boy does he lack. The decision making defensively is coming along, but with the ball it's awful. He is a terrible passer, and very indecisive and tentative playing the ball out of the back. I don't get why Floro plays him as a FB unless it's to try and develop those skills. If he could even get half competent with the ball I think he could turn into a great player. He's shown no real big signs of improvement there yet however.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #417
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the thing with Henry is that you can teach decision making and drill it home pretty easy. You can't teach physical ability like he has.

I think he's the most naturally gifted CB Canada has produced since Randy Samuel. Guys like DeVos were smarter players but didn't have his natural ability. Who knows if he will realize it. Nice to see him get better coaching and some stability anyway, TFC has been a gong show.

U-20 Roster is out for the world cup qualifying tournament this week. Games streaming on Concacaf's website. 6 team group, top team goes to the world cup, 2nd and 3rd place move on to a playoffs with a 50% chance of making the world cup. Canada's games:
Haiti, January 10th
Mexico, January 12th
El Salvador, January 14th
Cuba, January 16th
Honduras, January 18th

CANADA
GK- Marco Carducci | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
GK- Nolan Wirth | USA / Oregon State University
D- Samuel Adekugbe | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
D- Alexander Comsia | FRA / RC Strasbourg
D- Luca Gasparotto | SCO / Rangers FC (on loan at Airdrieonians)
D- Jackson Farmer | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
D- Jordan Haynes | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency
D- Brandon John | GER / Erzgebirge Aue
D- Rares (Chris) Serban | CAN / University of British Columbia
M- Manuel Aparicio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Louis Béland-Goyette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Hanson Boakai | CAN / FC Edmonton
M- Marco Bustos | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- Kianz Froese | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé | CAN / Impact de Montréal
M- Chris Nanco | USA / Syracuse University
M- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
F- Calum Fergusson | SCO / Inverness Caldeonian Thistle
F- Jordan Hamilton | CAN / Toronto FC
F- Cyle Larin | unattached / sans club
Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #418
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, Rangers in Scotland have refused to release Fraser Aird for the tournament but Canada has requested him for the final 3 games as a compromise. No word yet. Him and Petrasso on the wings with Larin and Hamilton up front.... Tommy likey.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #419
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait - 6 Whitecaps products on the U-20 roster? Aren't they the anti-Canadian team because they don't sign Canadians?

Sarcasm aside, it is nice to see that the focus on development via the academy programs they have set up is starting pay off. I'd much rather see Canadian MLS clubs developing young Canadians rather than signing already-established Canadians for a runaround purely on the basis of their citizenship.

I really do believe that Canadian soccer will be better off in the long run if we don't worry about how many Chileans are on the Whitecaps right now, and instead focus on making young Canadians good enough to crack the lineup on their own. And more importantly, cracking the lineup of other clubs abroad.

Edit: Actually - it's 9 Whitecaps residency products. Wirth, Serban, and Comsia are playing in college or elsewhere. Wow.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 01-05-2015 at 01:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #420
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ And, perhaps most importantly and perhaps the trickiest part: making sure that those "Canadians" who are developed don't bugger off to play for England, the Netherlands, Chile, or Jamaica.