Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #6561
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
The illegal handguns are already illegal.
All firearms smuggled into the country are illegal.
Now they want to make certain types of firearms that are legal, and not a problem in Canada illegal.
Please try and keep up.
2Stonedbirds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #6562
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the CBC link 2stonedbirds posted...

Quote:
Alexandre Bissonnette used a legally owned gun to attack a mosque in Quebec City in 2017, killing six men and seriously wounding five others. And Kimveer Gill, who carried out a shooting at Montreal's Dawson College in 2006, was also a legal gun owner. École Polytechnique attacker Marc Lepine was a legal firearm owner, too.
But wait! I thought it was only illegal guns being used? By non-law abiding owners? Except for that one. Oh, and that one. Ya and that one too...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 08:35 AM   #6563
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
First comment: irrelevant to the discussion.

Second comment: if assault weapons are already banned, then you are just pissing in your own face here by complaining about how the government will ban something already banned.

Your whole argument of using the US as a metric to banning rifles is irrelevant.

ARs are not assault weapons. If they are then how are Canadians able to own something already banned?

You're embarrassing yourself.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #6564
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Second comment: if assault weapons are already banned, then you are just pissing in your own face here by complaining about how the government will ban something already banned.
Assault weapons (select fire) have been banned for decades in Canada. The term has been repurposed to capture a whole raft of semi-automatic firearms based on aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm on board with tougher gun laws, and if they ban any future sales of AR weapons. I guess for me, if they do ban it, then they should ensure people who already own AR weapons either get fairly compensated through a buyback program, or the ban has grandfather clauses for existing owners. Seems unfair to just all of a sudden declare its banned, and people lose thousands of dollars on stuff they purchased legally.
There won't be a fair buy back. If they implement only what has been hinted, it will be billions of dollars to compensate owners. It will either be outright confiscation with a token payment that doesn't reflect value or they will simply change the laws like they did in the past to make them impossible to use and they can rust in a safe until they are surrendered upon the owner's death.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #6565
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny how this goes. Everybody is a law-abiding gun owner because of the fact that gun laws are so lax. All of those mass shooters get their guns from a law-abiding sources. Las Vegas guy was a law-abiding owner.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #6566
Rando
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
From the CBC link 2stonedbirds posted...

But wait! I thought it was only illegal guns being used? By non-law abiding owners? Except for that one. Oh, and that one. Ya and that one too...
It's such a muddy argument, and he's having trouble keeping up. "Breaking and entering to steal firearm" was added to the criminal code in 2008 and numbers had gone up every year until 2017. So which definition will he use to brush the issue aside. Stolen weapons are illegal, but they were purchased legally in Canada and weren't smuggled across the border.

Obviously the flow of illegal weapons into Canada has to be addressed but this country can do both.
Rando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #6567
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Assault weapons (select fire) have been banned for decades in Canada. The term has been repurposed to capture a whole raft of semi-automatic firearms based on aesthetics.
And the fact that they are kinda useful for slaughtering large numbers of people in a very, very short period of time.

Kind of like... an assault weapon.

You, and 2stonedbirds can quibble over semantics if you like, not that it will help. Like I said, this is one of the Liberal policies I'm perfectly okay with.

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #6568
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

shooting guns is really fun

plz do not ban
stone hands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #6569
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah look at lilwhiteout and I quibble over legal definitions that class firearms.
Let's consider Resolutes feelings when drafting legislation.