Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #3801
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Remember when Rudy was kind of respected by some people? Now he just looks like a crazy old man. Trump should probably tell him not to go on TV anymore, he's not helping.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1174855025048375296
He spent 30 mins screaming non-sense but I bet Trump supporters are like "take that CNN"

Yeah I remember grinding my boots on his couch
Old 09-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #3802
HockeyIlliterate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
My argument is that Clinton faces with the same sort of problems made the same kind of arguments to shut them down.

Should Republican controlled governorships be able to use nuisance criminal investigations and supeanas to disrupt a democratic Presidents presidency? There is a good argument to force all checks on the president to the congress.

Where I agree he crosses a line is not following senate/house subpoenas and even in a court with trump appointments I don’t see them allowing Trump to ignore house subpoenas. Though again the remedy that is supposed to happen is impeachment.

I don’t see what Trump is doing in these lawsuits to stop criminal prosecution as a noteworthy exception to other presidents.
If a President is immune from investigations while in office, then the statute of limitations for any crime that the President could be investigated for should be tolled while the President is in office.

However, I'm not aware of such an explicit tolling provision. Perhaps such a tolling provision exists, maybe one doesn't?

In any event, in the absence of an explicit statutory (or Constitutional) provision stating that statute of limitations are tolled as to the President while in office, then what the President is (and his attorneys are) actually advocating is, eventually and depending upon how long the President remains in office, potentially complete immunity from any crimes that the President may have committed prior to becoming President.

Thus, one who becomes President could, conceivably, become completely immune to and above the law.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #3803
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moscow Mitch is now backing $250 million in elections security grants that he had been blocking up till now. Either the Moscow Mitch label finally got to him by being extremely damaging in Kentucky, or the whistleblower claims against Trump are so bad that Mitch is hedging Republican bets and getting ready to dump Trump.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #3804
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1175131190447214593

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #3805
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, the list of impeachable offences must be 10 miles long by this point. I'd like to think that this will be the scandal that finally brings Trump down, but I'm not holding my breath. Unless the GOP suddenly grows a spine and finally puts country over party for once (not likely), this nightmare will just continue.

It really is astonishing what this jackass has been able to get away with. If this was Obama or even George W, he likely would have been impeached, removed from office, and possibly thrown in jail by this point.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #3806
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
If a President is immune from investigations while in office, then the statute of limitations for any crime that the President could be investigated for should be tolled while the President is in office.

However, I'm not aware of such an explicit tolling provision. Perhaps such a tolling provision exists, maybe one doesn't?

In any event, in the absence of an explicit statutory (or Constitutional) provision stating that statute of limitations are tolled as to the President while in office, then what the President is (and his attorneys are) actually advocating is, eventually and depending upon how long the President remains in office, potentially complete immunity from any crimes that the President may have committed prior to becoming President.

Thus, one who becomes President could, conceivably, become completely immune to and above the law.
Not really though. He is subject to impeachment and then could be charged after. Kavanaughs paper on how he would have congress change the law to make these things explicit is an interesting read. I suspect he and several others as this issue comes to the Supreme Court uses a combination of the Clinton Supreme Court decision allowing Civil suits and the arguments here to make the president immune.

http://www.minnesotalawreview.org/wp...anaugh_MLR.pdf

Especially given his unique position as being part of the Clinton impeachment investigation and now (likely partly as a result of this paper) on the Supreme Court. It doesn’t discuss the constitutional argument like the Justice department does but does outline the logic for why.

Last edited by GGG; 09-20-2019 at 03:07 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #3807
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if the Democrats in Congress suddenly decided to grow a spine, all this talk of impeachment dies with McConnell and the rest of the complicit ****stains in the Senate.

This is not even close to being the “smoking gun” people want it to be. Trump has already started hand waving this away by saying this whistleblower, whoever he is, is an evil Democrat deep state plant and the sad thing is his 40% base of constituents will absolutely buy that excuse. And we will all move on to focusing our attention on the horrible thing he does next week.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #3808
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Even if the Democrats in Congress suddenly decided to grow a spine, all this talk of impeachment dies with McConnell and the rest of the complicit ****stains in the Senate.
It dies in the Senate but at least every GOP Senator who voted it down will be on record and have to answer to voters.

Any possible impeachment is going to be timed to elections anyways.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #3809
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
It dies in the Senate but at least every GOP Senator who voted it down will be on record and have to answer to voters.

Any possible impeachment is going to be timed to elections anyways.
That presumes the voters that have already elected those senators care. They don’t and they will not.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #3810
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
That presumes the voters that have already elected those senators care. They don’t and they will not.
It took a historical unpopular president and pretty solid allegations of pedophilia and it being a special election but Alabama elected a democrat. This means that their does exist a set of circumstances where every seat could be in play. The right story will move voters.

The problem is they need to be simple, well timed, and attack the brand.

Him acting as a strong man president won’t work because that is what people want. It would be something like he as a secret Illegal Mexican mistress or Him being poor or something else really stupid that could cause defections significant enough to win red states in the senates combined with individual summer scandals.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #3811
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It took a historical unpopular president and pretty solid allegations of pedophilia and it being a special election but Alabama elected a democrat. This means that their does exist a set of circumstances where every seat could be in play. The right story will move voters.

The problem is they need to be simple, well timed, and attack the brand.

Him acting as a strong man president won’t work because that is what people want. It would be something like he as a secret Illegal Mexican mistress or Him being poor or something else really stupid that could cause defections significant enough to win red states in the senates combined with individual summer scandals.
Nah, the only path would be to dig up if he ever pressured anyone into getting an abortion. That would probably be the nail in the coffin of public opinion, and then you could start impeachment proceedings on the other stuff.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #3812
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So now we have a POTUS who has broken a law if true, we have a DNI who has broken a law not reporting to congress this urgent matter, yet nothing will change.

This whistleblower law and way for intelligence agents to report urgent matters to congress was put in place after Watergate, now Trump and his cronies just ignore it. I wish there was actual repercussions but we well know this new Republican party doesn't give a #### about laws.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #3813
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post

This whistleblower law and way for intelligence agents to report urgent matters to congress was put in place after Watergate, now Trump and his cronies just ignore it. I wish there was actual repercussions but we well know this new Republican party doesn't give a #### about laws.
I think it's safe to say that they're no longer the Republican party at this point, at least the old school Reagan-esque GOP that they once were. They've essentially become the official party of Trump now. He won't face any consequences whatsoever unless the Dems can find a way to win back the Senate.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #3814
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any historical precedent for a congress ceding this much power to the executive?

Historically in addition to the partisan fight in congress there as usually been a bi-partisan effort to check executive power. That has completely disappeared under Trump and Mcconel.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #3815
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Seems like an appropriate response from someone who is very innocent and doing well mentally.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1176206521287544832
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #3816
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Seems like an appropriate response from someone who is very innocent and doing well mentally.
I have seen about 20 clips of him today at the UNGA and I have come to the conclusion he might be ######ed
Old 09-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #3817
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you needed any more evidence that those on the far-right are terrible, morally bankrupt sub-humans, look no further than Dinesh D'Souza. What an absolute ####ing ghoul.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1175848457191510016
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #3818
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
If you needed any more evidence that those on the far-right are terrible, morally bankrupt sub-humans, look no further than Dinesh D'Souza. What an absolute ####ing ghoul.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1175848457191510016
Just a reminder that in Dinesh's last movie, he did everything he could to paint Richard Spencer as a leftist in one of the weirdest interviews I've ever watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #3819
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's rumored that Pence also pressured Ukraine for the Biden dirt at Trump's behest. Toofer impeachment special if it hits
Old 09-23-2019, 05:43 PM   #3820
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
So it's rumored that Pence also pressured Ukraine for the Biden dirt at Trump's behest. Toofer impeachment special if it hits
Pelosi doesn’t believe impeachment is a smart play regarding her eventual re-election and as such it is not on the table. I’m of the opinion it will take a literal murder on video for her to even maybe consider impeachment and even then she’ll discuss how it’s better handled with the next election instead. She’s absolutely useless.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post: