Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #1481
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
When are streamers not outraged about something?
When one of their heroes makes racist, homophobic, or sexist remarks on camera?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #1482
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a good review!

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #1483
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
When one of their heroes makes racist, homophobic, or sexist remarks on camera?
Is it sad that my first though was to wonder what PDP didthis time?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #1484
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does PewDiePie do the outraging, or is it other people being outraged by him?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #1485
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Does PewDiePie do the outraging, or is it other people being outraged by him?
He was pretty outraged that time he dropped the n word.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #1486
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Bit of both. His fanbase has a cult-like quality to it in its rabid defence of him, while most everyone else who is aware of him views him as a mouthpiece for the alt right. Much of his edginess comes from going out of his way to normalize white supremacist and antisemitic commenary under the guise of "it's just a joke, bro".
Old 09-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #1487
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Bit of both. His fanbase has a cult-like quality to it in its rabid defence of him, while most everyone else who is aware of him views him as a mouthpiece for the alt right. Much of his edginess comes from going out of his way to normalize white supremacist and antisemitic commenary under the guise of "it's just a joke, bro".

Your confusing the ideological left with the general populace. The general populace just finds him annoying yet inexplicably popular.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #1488
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The general populace doesn't even know who he is or what he's about. If they have heard about him at all, it is only because of that one time he got into the mainstream media for one of his antisemitic jokes. I'm talking about the people who are aware of his pattern of behaviour. And I very much am not part of the "ideological left".
Old 09-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #1489
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Your confusing the ideological left with the general populace. The general populace just finds him annoying yet inexplicably popular.
Boy, you nailed him with that one. That's why we call him Comrade Resolute. Left-wing politics are definitely his brand.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #1490
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the general populace considered him alt right he would be demonitized.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #1491
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The general populace doesn't even know who he is or what he's about. If they have heard about him at all, it is only because of that one time he got into the mainstream media for one of his antisemitic jokes. I'm talking about the people who are aware of his pattern of behaviour. And I very much am not part of the "ideological left".
Uh-huh
Old 09-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #1492
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Uh-huh
You cannot be this clueless. Can you?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #1493
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uh-huh
This is baffling... Resolute's been a member of this board for 15 years and has almost 53,000 posts. You've been here for a while yourself, so I have to assume you've seen some of them. He's demonstrably not a left-wing ideologue. Do you have him confused with someone else?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #1494
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I opened this thread, because I like reading about video games, then I read the last few of posts, smelled burnt toast and dialed 9 and 1 into my phone.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #1495
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For my text trick, I'm going to go find a movie and entertainment thread and talk about how toxic the Star Wars fandom is.

But speaking of Star Wars, I'm digging Star Wars Pinball on Switch. It's the tables the other consoles have in Pinball FX3, but packaged up with a new license that keeps Disney's beancounters happy. Though I hope they add some of the Williams Pinball Star Wars tables as DLC. There's one at Pinbar that I have dropped entirely too much money in.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #1496
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I thought playing Crystar was a big wtf situation...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #1497
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
In the meantime I've been working my way through my backlog of games. Wrapped up AC Unity a month ago. I know that game got a lot of flack (and memes) when it released but I really enjoyed playing it now that it's patched up. I didn't run into a single issue or bug. I think Unity needs to be given a little more credit actually. The crowd sizes in the game are insane. You can actually be the blade in the crowd and it feels incredibly bad ass walking through these massive amounts of people while stealthily killing off guards and targets. I moved on to Syndicate this weekend and while I am enjoying the overall game more, the reduced sizes of the crowds is very noticeable.
Just spent some time seeing the historical sights in Greece which had me excited to revisit them in Odyssey once I got home, but an impromptu 3 day stop in Paris (super cheap flight deal to Calgary) before I flew home - which I surprisingly LOVED - actually inspired me to fire up Unity again. It's been a few years, forgot how much I liked this game.

The controls are a bit clunky at first in comparison to Origins/Odyssey (holding R2 to run, and the pre actual eagle version of eagle vision feels limited), and the combat isn't as good, but the climbing is actually much smoother. The past two iterations are so combat-focused that I'm loving the stealth focus of Unity, which yeah the massive crowd sizes just add to. It's great! I really like the Arno character too, such a smart###.

It's actually hard to believe while playing it that this game was so widely panned and has gone down as an all-time failure, man did Ubi sink their own ship with that undercooked launch on an otherwise great game (once it was finished). It's a shame, this is literally in the running as possibly my favourite AC game I think.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the companion app and MP stuff was also kind of annoying. Just did an MP mission and was quickly reminded why they moved away from that stuff after Unity.

Last edited by Sainters7; 09-20-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #1498
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started playing control the other evening on the PS4 and it's a pretty interesting game for sure. First time I've grabbed a game that wasn't produced a year prior to my purchase. I quite enjoy it so far.

The inability to adjust difficulty is a little annoying especially when you get cratered 20 times in a row. I haven't died this many times consecutively since Dark Souls. The play style you must employ (don't stop moving) is weird at first and really counter intuitive. But now that I figured it out, it's not too bad difficulty wise. It is also kinda weird there's no portable health recovery options. You just have to kill guys and wander close enough to rejuvenate the tiniest bit of health. Your powers overall are pretty OP, but it's glass cannons vs glass cannons. Story line wise, it feels neat.

The interface is odd though. It feels like something in between what we have now and the game design from 5-6 years ago. Controls wise, it feels like only the slightest upgrade from the original Alan Wake and several years behind the controls of Mass Effect: Andromeda. Not having the ability to spin around and follow a clear marker to the highlighted quest is odd. I mean, it's there but it's hard to see. It's the same with collectibles in a room. You can't just start in a corner and figure out everything in a room within a few seconds of scanning it. I have to wander close enough to everything to see if an interaction prompt pops up. Unlocking a seemingly basic dodge move sets as an optional quest deep in the second area of the oldest house is also bizarre.

Other than these funky aspects to the game though. I think it's awesome. It's no horror for sure, but it sure as hell is trippy as it goes back and forth between real video overlay cinematic, video game rendering cinematic and game play camera angle cinematic. Great game IMO if you're willing to work with the clunkiness. I bet there will be a patch to fix the controls as well as some of the ####ty frame rates that occurs on occasion.

It's a nice change of pace after all the emo suicidal story line with repetitive hack and slash that Crystar had to offer.

I'm thinking after I crush these two games, I might consider Judgement next as I've been a fan of the Yakuza games.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #1499
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Fans of The Cult Classic River City Ransom...

Just finished this last night and it’s such a good game

Anybody who loved Scott Pilgrim vs the world and old school beat em ups should definitely pick this up
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #1500
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love Borderlands 3. It's basically the same as Borderlands 2, which I'm A-OK with. I wish I had more time to sit down and play it because it's so fun.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post: