Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2024, 02:52 PM   #13961
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Having said that, yes I do believe that every American voter should vote for Biden. Those who do anything else are either morally bankrupt, or are woefully ill-informed and not making any real effort to get informed.
Cool. Berating people into voting for your team is always a sound strategy.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:53 PM   #13962
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Well that’s quite a gauntlet to throw down. Anyone who doesn’t agree with me is morally bankrupt and woefully uninformed because my subjective criteria are the objective truth.

Yeah I can’t figure out what’s wrong with political discourse nowadays either. Kind of a mystery.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 02:56 PM   #13963
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
It has become completely impossible to distinguish a MAGA from someone parodying a MAGA.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:57 PM   #13964
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have in your hands the power to stop Trump from re-entering the White House, and you choose not to exercise that power, then yes you have serious moral deficiencies.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:00 PM   #13965
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you have in your hands the power to stop Trump from re-entering the White House, and you choose not to exercise that power, then yes you have serious moral deficiencies.
Isn't that most Americans with guns?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:00 PM   #13966
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It has become completely impossible to distinguish a MAGA from someone parodying a MAGA.

It's true.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:10 PM   #13967
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Wanna know a secret? That’s like a few thousand people at most. It’s the people in swing states that will really be what decides this election. I live in a state that’s so blue it wouldn’t change unless a nuke took out 3-5 major metropolitan areas and even then probably not. Nothing I could possibly do or say would change that so I’m off the hook which is cool.

So probably what the Biden team should do is that in addition to not repeating one of Hillary’s big mistakes and remembering to reach out to blue bastions, is focus on those swing states and areas. I wonder if those are voters who respond well to ideological purity tests. They probably are I won’t even look into it.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:26 PM   #13968
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Isn't that most Americans with guns?
I meant any legal mechanism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Wanna know a secret? That’s like a few thousand people at most. It’s the people in swing states that will really be what decides this election. I live in a state that’s so blue it wouldn’t change unless a nuke took out 3-5 major metropolitan areas and even then probably not. Nothing I could possibly do or say would change that so I’m off the hook which is cool.

So probably what the Biden team should do is that in addition to not repeating one of Hillary’s big mistakes and remembering to reach out to blue bastions, is focus on those swing states and areas. I wonder if those are voters who respond well to ideological purity tests. They probably are I won’t even look into it.
I think it's important that everyone vote Biden regardless of which state they live in. While Biden winning the election is certainly the most important thing, blowing out Trump by the largest margin possible in the popular vote is also important to send a giant middle finger to him and his fascist dictatorial ideology. It would also put a further spotlight on how stupid and illegitimate the electoral college system is.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:33 PM   #13969
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I always have to chuckle when Americans claim they have the greatest democracy in the world, yet cling on to an antiquated system that tells millions and millions of voters that their vote is pretty much useless just because of geography.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 03:37 PM   #13970
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I always have to chuckle when Americans claim they have the greatest democracy in the world, yet cling on to an antiquated system that tells millions and millions of voters that their vote is pretty much useless just because of geography.
It does crack me up that so many seem to believe a document written by rich slaveowners for the interests of them and maybe 4 million total people is so infallible and perfect that attempting to update anything for scale is beyond the pale. 4 million, 300 million, whatever the system works perfect boys don’t change a thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 04:06 PM   #13971
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Cool. Berating people into voting for your team is always a sound strategy.
At some point, if you do something that's worthy of criticism, you shouldn't be surprised when you get criticism.

When you do something that is directly conducive to ending democracy and the entire modern western world as we know it, you should expect rather harsh criticism.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:08 PM   #13972
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The histrionics regarding the downfall of civilization are a bit much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 04:11 PM   #13973
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It does crack me up that so many seem to believe a document written by rich slaveowners for the interests of them and maybe 4 million total people is so infallible and perfect that attempting to update anything for scale is beyond the pale. 4 million, 300 million, whatever the system works perfect boys don’t change a thing.
It still benefits rich slaveowners, so the system works!
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 04:23 PM   #13974
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The histrionics regarding the downfall of civilization are a bit much.
"Histrionics" You using that word speaks volumes about how much attention (or lack thereof) you've been paying.

Here's a few videos explaining what Trump has in store. Can provide many more if you like.

NSFW!

Last edited by Mathgod; 03-28-2024 at 04:29 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:50 PM   #13975
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At some point, if you do something that's worthy of criticism, you shouldn't be surprised when you get criticism.

When you do something that is directly conducive to ending democracy and the entire modern western world as we know it, you should expect rather harsh criticism.
Okay, but do you want Biden to win, or do you just want to get high on your own sense of moral superiority?

There are bodies of research that demonstrate your approach to this is ineffective and more likely to drive votes the other way.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:53 PM   #13976
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Over the last few days I drove across Eastern Oregon, Idaho, a bit of Utah, Wyoming, and Nebraska. In this reddest of red America I did not see a single piece of Trump or Maga merch anywhere. No bumper stickers, no road signs, no hats, no billboards, nothing.

I did see a lot of Christian advertising (call 83 FOR-TRUTH! or whatever that number is) and several pride flags, but zero trump / maga branding.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 05:20 PM   #13977
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty sure that’s a parody. Isn’t he a comedian? The fact that we can’t tell is disturbing.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:44 PM   #13978
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Okay, but do you want Biden to win, or do you just want to get high on your own sense of moral superiority?

There are bodies of research that demonstrate your approach to this is ineffective and more likely to drive votes the other way.
I really hope winning elections is as simple as stating facts and getting information out to the public. I really do hope you're right about that.

But if people are actually basing their vote on "am I doing better than I was 4 years ago" and ignoring all other considerations, maybe you can understand why I look at people and wonder if they are serious about placing an informed vote, or whether they're trolling. The president does not have dictatorial power to do whatever he wants, and even if he did, he does not have a magic wand that makes inflation disappear and prices go down. Trump's tax cuts, combined with supply chain disruptions and the invasion of Ukraine, account for most of the inflation we've seen over the past 4 years. While people may be lacking this information, I do think they have a responsibility to get informed before casting their vote. We live in a day and age where it's easier to do this than in any other time in history.

I'll be doing what I can on social media to spread the word about Biden's successes and Trump's failures (along with his depraved behavior and psychopathic plans for the country), knowing full well my efforts probably won't effect the outcome, but is still worth trying.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:36 PM   #13979
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Pretty sure that’s a parody. Isn’t he a comedian? The fact that we can’t tell is disturbing.
You can't tell? Did you actually watch it? He's famous for those videos.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2024, 08:08 PM   #13980
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Trump in 2028': GOP-aligned organization calls for abolition of presidential term limits
https://www.alternet.org/trump-term-limits/

Quote:
One of the coalition members of the far-right Heritage Foundation's "Project 2025" presidential transition plan is proposing to overhaul the US Constitution to keep former President Donald Trump in power beyond the eight-year limit.

The American Conservative — one of the 100 advisory groups to Project 2025 — recently published a call to repeal the 22nd Amendment as a means of allowing Trump to seek a "second consecutive term" in the White House if he wins in November. That amendment has been in place since 1951, and stipulates that presidents can't spend more than eight years in office, whether in two back-to-back terms or staggered between other administrations.

"If, by 2028, voters feel Trump has done a poor job, they can pick another candidate; but if they feel he has delivered on his promises, why should they be denied the freedom to choose him once more?" writer Peter Tonguette proposed. "As with Prohibition, it is simply a matter of finding the will to get rid of a bad idea that needlessly limits Americans’ freedom."
No longer just a 'risk'...
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post: