Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #1801
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
What's the deal with people splicing little gas 2 stroke motors into bikes and puttering around on bike paths? That has to be illegal.

Also - what's everyone's favorite wet lube for chains in the winter? I've been using MEC for the past few years but it gunks up quick into hard to remove waxy deposits.

This stuff is readily available at any bike shop.
http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/epic.htm
I put it on after every 4-5 rides so that I don't ride with a dust magnet chain. Never gunks up and is unlike any other lube I have tried before. I have tried everything from MEC "Phil" lube to motocross sprays and basic engine oil but the epic ride lube is by far the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #1802
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
how was the cancer ride, gang?
I rode with the_only_turek_fan for awhile and Khel also got married at the event. I didn't hear from any of the other CP riders that I reached out to.

It was a great life experience and we raised a lot of money for cancer research.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #1803
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made my personal goal today. Went from just past Chinook Mall out to the Weaselhead bridge and back again. Feels pretty good to make that goal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #1804
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Made my personal goal today. Went from just past Chinook Mall out to the Weaselhead bridge and back again. Feels pretty good to make that goal.
Is that a nice ride by the reservoir?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #1805
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Is that a nice ride by the reservoir?
From Chinook to 14th ave, it's pretty dull. From the 14th ave flyover to the Glenmore South Boat club, it's a gorgeous ride. From the club to weaselhead is kinda boring (flat ride on an open field), but weaselhead park itself was a nice ride (forested scenery).
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #1806
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I recall it is about 17 k to make a lap of the resinous itself, depending on which direction you go, there are a couple of decent climbs.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #1807
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you had a basic commuter bike, how long would it take you to commute downtown from the midnapore/sundance end of town?
Old 08-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #1808
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
If you had a basic commuter bike, how long would it take you to commute downtown from the midnapore/sundance end of town?
1.5 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to terminator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #1809
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

You should be able to average 20KMS/hour quite easily and since that is the speed limit on most paths this would be the speed I would factor in. Midnapore is 20KMS from downtown and there are fairly direct routes with minimal hills or delays. If you follow the rule of speeding by 10KMS/hour on your bike that most people do in their cars then you can get there much quicker and likely beat most of the cars that are stuck at red lights and in volume. Anybody ever get a speeding ticket on here while biking? I avoid this on bike paths but on street routes try to keep up with traffic.

Here is the google suggested route : https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...ee9&dg=feature

Also the Glenmore Res is a 15km loop.

Last edited by macker; 08-14-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #1810
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are usually good to speed on the paths, until you get closer to downtown, then, you can occasionally expect to see bylaw officers with radar guns on the pathways occasionally. I can only recall seeing them once on the pathway near glen more.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #1811
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About an hour when I used to do it or about the same as the train. The problem is the route. My favourite route was unessarily long adding about 8k to the trip was biking in fish creek to the bow river than up the bow river trail into downtown. This was 1hr 10 biking at roughly 25k/h but you don't have to stop the entire trip.

I didn't like the other routes either having too many lights or uncontrolled intersections or too much tracffic.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #1812
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the info guys, that's not too bad really.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #1813
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post

Also the Glenmore Res is a 15km loop.
IIRC it's almost 18 if you go over the dam instead of the causeway. Funny thing I just realized, I don't think I've ever done the loop counterclockwise.

Probably preaching to the choir on here, but I see a lot of people without lights at night now. Can't get away with it after 9:00 pm anymore.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #1814
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
takes me just over an hour on my road bike from bridlewood. I go to the reserve and then path around to sandy beach to 2nd street all the way down to 10th in that time
Old 08-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #1815
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Went Canmore to Banff via (Nordic center) FYI -> EKG -> a few km on banff fireroad -> Rundle Riverside.

Rundle Riverside is in piss-poor shape. Wet roots and loose rocks everywhere. There was no flow, just toil. Lost rear mech coming off a root (I don't mind breaking stuff if I were doing something heroic, but a root??!?), ended up hiking last 3 km into Banff. I would recommend avoiding this track.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #1816
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any suggestions on how to get to Cranston from DT? Google Map is offering some really wierd-ish choices.

TIA
Old 08-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #1817
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

hey all,

the bride is about to upgrade her bike as she has a friend that is buying her cannondale synapse alloy. She doesnt ride a whole ton but is working towards doing her first half ironman next summer so she will be putting quite a few miles on this one. thought about going the TT bike route but really she wants an all around bike and doesnt want to buy 2

We are looking at a Cannondale carbon synapse 6 105 that we can get for about $1699, would likely upgrade the wheels on this one.

they also are offering her a good deal on a super six EVO ultegra Di2 at $1000 off but would be just over $4k

is it worth spending the extra $2k i know that the Di2 is supposed to be great but i'm not sure i can justiy the extra but will knowing that she will use it a fair bit for years to come..

thanks

Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #1818
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tim, save the money and spend it elsewhere. d12 might be great on the pro peleton, but I can just see there being battery issues or some other bug that comes up and ruins your race. 105 is bulletproof and shifts pretty damn well.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #1819
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Cannondales are just starting to come out now. I'm not sure when you are looking to purchase, but in the next little while you'll have the choice between the latest technology, or getting last year's at a discount. Earlier this year I was going to buy the 2014 Cannondale CAADX 105 disc. The 2015 shows the 105 setup looks very similar to the 2014 Ultegra, including having an extra gear on the rear derailleur. They are roughly the same price new, but the 2015 has better specs. As such, I expect the previous year's model to drop in price shortly.

I'm also looking at the Felt F65X. The 2014 model just dropped in price from $1,800 to $1,500. I'm going to test ride it this week. My biggest concern on it are the SRAM shifters. I really just like the Shimano build, compared to the double tap SRAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #1820
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

shimano mechanical shifters work so well already, i can't imagine how slick the Di2 would be - now that being said, i'd sure like to understand how you make a roadside repai or adjustmentr of a Di2 that has failed, or does not work properly.

personally, i'd wait a few more years for a Di2 setup, let them work a few of the long term kinks out. but that being said, i can understand the appeal of buying it now......

i too generally favour shimno over sram - my current rocky mountain is a sram setup and to me it has generally preformed as well as my shimano setups have in the past - however, if i had to replace enough of the parts, i'd go with a shimano setup.......but if i just stick to replacing what wears out, i'll stick with sram