Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2024, 01:16 PM   #5381
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Wow that’s terrible. They put them low and then make them half the size too. Just an awful design choice.
There are a few models of vehicle that are starting to do this stupid sh-t. Brake lights *and turn signals* at bumper level instead of mid-way up the body is awful for everyone involved. It looks awful and it isn't nearly as visible.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 02:37 PM   #5382
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Swoopy crossovers are not my thing, but it does look to be very reasonably priced for what you get. It only has a 3-cylinder 136 hp power engine, and there's no AWD available, but I guess that's the trade-off if you want a relatively affordable new car these days.
So weird what they've done with the Buick brand considering it was intended to be up-market GM vehicles between Chevy/Pontiac/Oldsmobile and Cadillac.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 03:17 PM   #5383
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Literally the only reason Buick wasn't eliminated in the GM bankruptcy 15 years ago (like Pontiac and Saturn) was because it's far and away GM's biggest brand in China. About 80% of worldwide Buick sales are in China. The Envista—which I'd never even heard of until seeing two at the auto show this weekend—was designed in China primarily for the Chinese market. It's built primarily in Shanghai; ones sold elsewhere are built in Korea.

As such, their idea of what a Buick was, is, and ought to be, is not the same as ours.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 10:58 PM   #5384
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
As such, their idea of what a Buick was, is, and ought to be, is not the same as ours.
My idea of what Buick ought to be:
Spoiler!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 12:25 AM   #5385
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'd go for an LS swapped Roadmaster.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...wagon-auction/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 08:37 AM   #5386
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if anyone knows if this is legal, I suspect it is not, but I saw a guy driving a pickup truck today that was all set up for overlanding and he had a fold up bike rack in the hitch. Obviously the bike rack covered the license plate spot and he didn't even have a plate mounted because it wouldn't be visible. He didn't have the plate mounted anywhere else and I assume he probably has it in his glove box or something. Instead of the plate he put his plate number on his bike rack with vinyl stickers. Would this be an acceptable solution with the police?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:25 AM   #5387
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Operator Licensing and Vehicle Control Regulation, Section 70:
(2) The owner of a vehicle that has a licence plate shall not display on the vehicle

(a) any other vehicle plate or device bearing numbers or letters or both that are identical to or have the general appearance of a licence plate,
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:37 AM   #5388
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
My idea of what Buick ought to be:
Spoiler!
Goddamn that Grand National was a beautiful Car.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:41 AM   #5389
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Those have never been my thing...I'm completely unable to see the appeal. They just look like divorced-banger-mullet mobiles to me. Pretty sure they all stink of cigarettes and poor life choices.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 09:43 AM   #5390
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I wonder if anyone knows if this is legal, I suspect it is not, but I saw a guy driving a pickup truck today that was all set up for overlanding and he had a fold up bike rack in the hitch. Obviously the bike rack covered the license plate spot and he didn't even have a plate mounted because it wouldn't be visible. He didn't have the plate mounted anywhere else and I assume he probably has it in his glove box or something. Instead of the plate he put his plate number on his bike rack with vinyl stickers. Would this be an acceptable solution with the police?
I had a friend that got a ticket (while in a parking lot, no less) for having a bike rack, sans bikes, that obscured her plate. IIRC, there's some leniency if you're hauling bikes, but not so much if not and the rack is obstructing the plate.

LOL @ asking if a do-it-yourself plate number is "an acceptable solution with the police"
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:47 AM   #5391
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
When I was in University I used to drive an old 1978 F-150, and under the license plate is where the ball-hitch would go.

I never really thought anything of it, but since I never towed anything I didnt really notice but in heavy snowfall the snow would accumulate on the bottom plate and obscure the license plate.

One day a Cop pulled me over and told me all about it. Credit to him, he didnt give me a ticket, but he did say that it is an offence to obscure a license plate, even if its just because of a snowfall.

So after that when I was clearing off my windows I'd make sure to brush off the plate.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-12-2024, 09:48 AM   #5392
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I mean I see cars with "tinted" license plate covers that are so dark I can't even read the plate standing next to the car, no idea how they don't get pulled over instantly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 09:54 AM   #5393
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I mean I see cars with "tinted" license plate covers that are so dark I can't even read the plate standing next to the car, no idea how they don't get pulled over instantly.
The secret is never to drive in front of a police officer.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 09:56 AM   #5394
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The secret is never to drive in front of a police officer.
Cops hate this one trick?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2024, 11:28 AM   #5395
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Cops hate this one trick?
Its not illegal but Cops hate it!!

Old 03-12-2024, 11:38 AM   #5396
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
It’s so dumb, it’s like running up a literal red flag on your car.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:33 PM   #5397
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supposedly they don’t even work.

So, a ticket for obscuring your plate and the you still get photo radar tickets. They’re cash cows.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:40 PM   #5398
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Supposedly they don’t even work.

So, a ticket for obscuring your plate and the you still get photo radar tickets. They’re cash cows.
I didn't know that they got a 2nd ticket. Some of those covers are so dark I wondered if the camera flash would pick up the plate behind it.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:46 PM   #5399
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing General Automotive Thread 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I didn't know that they got a 2nd ticket. Some of those covers are so dark I wondered if the camera flash would pick up the plate behind it.

No, I just meant you risk getting a ticket for obscuring your plate, plus you have the false sense of security over not getting photo radar tickets.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:24 PM   #5400
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Those have never been my thing...I'm completely unable to see the appeal. They just look like divorced-banger-mullet mobiles to me. Pretty sure they all stink of cigarettes and poor life choices.
You have some weird takes, but this is has got to be number 1.