Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2024, 04:31 AM   #41
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That would be the second smallest capacity in MLB. Looks tacky to me.
Yeah. It’s polarizing just given it’s not traditional in a traditional sport, but it’s unique. If it was any other city I’d think it’d never live up to expectations in the final design, but because it’s Las Vegas it’ll probably be more than that and will work out to be an ideal design replicated in some way. I’m any case, it’s innovative.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:27 AM   #42
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That would be the second smallest capacity in MLB. Looks tacky to me.
Small doesn't bother me at all. Tons of stadiums end up with the upper deck tarped off the entire regular season.

I also like that it's not a traditional dome. Baseball is (ideally) an outdoor game. Nothing beats a light breeze on a warm summer day watching a ball game. But that isn't one of the realistic choices in Vegas, because they don't have pleasantly warm summer days, they have melt-your-soul scorchers.

Having it fully air-conditioned seems mandatory for comfort, and having a giant wall of windows instead of outfield bleachers should hopefully make it feel more like you're outdoors. Basically, like everything else in Vegas, it'll be an interesting and expensive facsimile, in this case of an outdoor baseball stadium.

Baseball having unique stadiums is one of my favorite things about the sport, and the A's current stadium is what you get if you put a baseball diamond inside a concrete bunker designed for another sport. Having more unique/interesting venues is awesome.

Last edited by bizaro86; 03-18-2024 at 03:04 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 10:47 AM   #43
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

anyone with recommendations on fantasy baseball rankings?

thx
Old 03-18-2024, 07:42 PM   #44
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snell signs with the Giants. $31M for two years. The National League looks damn strong. Hoping at all costs the Dodgers fall flat.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 07:59 PM   #45
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

And on another note, I always maintained that if someone is sincerely sorry for what they've done in the past and went about things in a humble way, there's room for forgiveness. And that includes Bauer. While he may have been accused of something serious, his look at me vlogging is so dumb. I bet he'd have a job right now if he just sat and didn't push for the over the top exposure. As a teammate I'd be annoyed to have him on the team with his self promotion. I don't know who his agent is but they're certainly not advising him. I'd be shocked if he's signed now.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:59 PM   #46
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...er-fired-theft

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers interpreter for Shohei Ohtani was fired Wednesday afternoon after questions surrounding at least $4.5 million in wire transfers sent from Ohtani's bank account to a bookmaking operation set off a series of events.
Ippei Mizuhara, the longtime friend and interpreter for Ohtani, incurred the gambling debts to a Southern California bookmaking operation that is under federal investigation, multiple sources told ESPN
Old 03-20-2024, 05:41 PM   #47
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this story is bizarre. I'm very curious to learn the details as this spills out
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:08 PM   #48
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm assuming the debt is actually Ohtani's, and that if true then MLB pretty much has to let it slide? Banning him for life would be a self-death sentence for the sport.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:12 PM   #49
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it? I think the sport could handle it, baseball was around long before Ohtani.

Is this guy really agreeing to be the patsy here? Sure sounds fishy.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 06:16 PM   #50
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It definitely would. Baseball finally gets its first transcendent star in forever, and then bans him for life? Would be catastrophic. Pete Rose was banned when baseball was the most popular sport in America, so from a business view it's wildly different. Now it's well behind the NFL and college football, has been passed by the NBA, and might end up passed by soccer eventually. Just can't see them doing it, which is why the patsy story is out front right now.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:23 PM   #51
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is pretty juicy and seems all too simple that the interpreter has a little gambling problem. It's 4.5 million bucks. I don't care how rich you are that's a large dollar amount to lend to a friend to pay off a gambling debt. It's also a little weird that it was multiple transfers over time. Rather than a lump sum payment if that was the case.

If it did turn out to be Ohtani that would be earth shattering. Especially for a sport that had just recently suspended another one of its young superstars in Tatis.

It's going to be an interesting story to follow and I wouldn't be surprised if whispers now follow Ohtani's career much like MJ and his 2 year "retirement"...
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 06:26 PM   #52
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the Jordan soft suspension is a good comparable, and this is the year to do it with him unable to pitch. Won't be a retirement, just a "mental health break"or something like that.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:41 PM   #53
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't give a flying f, if he did something illegal or against the rules, give him the same penalty that a minor leaguer would get. Again, money speaks but if he's been doing something nefarious then why shouldn't he be banned for a set period. I think the Pete Rose treatment was way too harsh to be frank, but 2 years makes a ton of sense. I'm sure LA is more than happy to label the interpreter as the fall guy, with a payoff to ensure he stays quiet but damn man, it sounds fishy AF. Hope the cloud surrounds the team. "Ohtani likes his privacy". I'm sure he does.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:06 PM   #54
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to wonder too how it came to light now, interpreter or Ohtani himself.

My guess is probably an extortion or blackmail attempt, so trying to get in front of that.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:11 PM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It definitely would. Baseball finally gets its first transcendent star in forever, and then bans him for life? Would be catastrophic. Pete Rose was banned when baseball was the most popular sport in America, so from a business view it's wildly different. Now it's well behind the NFL and college football, has been passed by the NBA, and might end up passed by soccer eventually. Just can't see them doing it, which is why the patsy story is out front right now.
I just don’t see anyone giving up baseball because a player was caught betting. Ohtani is popular but baseball has always been more about the game than the stars. No teams attendance is changing of Ohtani isn’t playing.

I’ve always had a hard time buying conspiracy theories but the way this story changed so fast. Still this guy is prepared to do jail time for Ohtani?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 07:50 PM   #56
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Ippei Mizuhara, the longtime friend and interpreter for Ohtani, incurred the gambling debts to a Southern California bookmaking operation that is under federal investigation, multiple sources told ESPN. How he came to lose his job started with reporters asking questions about the wire transfers.

Initially, a spokesman for Ohtani told ESPN the slugger had transferred the funds to cover Mizuhara's gambling debt. The spokesman presented Mizuhara to ESPN for a 90-minute interview Tuesday night, during which Mizuhara laid out his account in great detail. However, as ESPN prepared to publish the story Wednesday, the spokesman disavowed Mizuhara's account and said Ohtani's lawyers would issue a statement.

"In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft, and we are turning the matter over to the authorities," read the statement from Berk Brettler LLP.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...er-fired-theft
Old 03-20-2024, 08:00 PM   #57
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1770597188609188308
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:04 PM   #58
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Money runs the world. In this case, I could see MLB more or less turning a blind eye by doing a half assed "investigation", while Ohtani understands it's easier to just pay off his interpreter to keep him quiet and everyone is just happy to keep it that way. How does the guy get access to Ohtani's bank account? And logically that implies Ohtani is somewhat involved and should be investigated further. There are a select number of people involved so I could totally see everyone knowing their roles and knowing what the best course of action to take to keep the money rolling in, interpreter included. Do a little time and get paid a couple mil in hand and just don't bother being around again.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:11 PM   #59
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Not even hours. But minutes before he supposedly addressed the team to fess up to his gambling addiction. This thing is really starting to reek.

One has to wonder if Ohtani's deal was maybe more to protect him against himself than deferring money to build a better team....
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 08:28 PM   #60
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering how Ohtani played the Jays in the FA period to get his big deal with L.A., I wish nothing but bad things for him.

This'll be me watching this play out...

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: