Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #161
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh man, the details coming forth are so horrendous. How can this guy plead not-guilty? Is it common when the accused has such a strong case against him to plead not-guilty?

If they can't sentence him to death, then rotting in a cell without sunlight or human contact for the rest of his life will work just fine. No books, no tv, no internet, no nothing. Just him in a room in silence. Is that considered cruel?
Old 01-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #162
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Following tweets from court today, there just keeps being more and more really scary physical evidence. Almost seems like more than he would need to undertake the crimes he is accused of. Starting to get an uneasy feeling that this guy either has done more than we know or had bigger plans.

Or maybe it's just the more likely option that he is just bat#### crazy.
I am amazed how he managed to acquire all this stuff without his parents knowing about some of it. Also he wasnt employed as far as I have read, was he asking mom and dad for money to buy all these things?

Seems to me that he was living with complete shut ins that had zero clue of what was going on right under their noses. This stuff is like its right out of a horror movie.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #163
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Ina Sidhu ‏@CTVInaSidhu 12m12 minutes ago
More
Small, child- sized handcuffs were also found @CTVCalgary
God dammit. Garland you POS
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #164
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Small, child- sized handcuffs were also found
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Wow. And that's probably what changed the murder charge for Nathan from 2nd to 1st degree. Sickening.

Edit: Kidnapping is also worthy of a 1st degree charge, as discussed earlier. But this does show intent and premeditation.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 01-25-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #165
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Oh man, the details coming forth are so horrendous. How can this guy plead not-guilty? Is it common when the accused has such a strong case against him to plead not-guilty?

If they can't sentence him to death, then rotting in a cell without sunlight or human contact for the rest of his life will work just fine. No books, no tv, no internet, no nothing. Just him in a room in silence. Is that considered cruel?
I have the impression that the prison system in this country will provide pretty much all those things unfortunately. We may want him to have a miserable existence in prison, but I dont think it really works that way.
greyshep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #166
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I am amazed how he managed to acquire all this stuff without his parents knowing about some of it. Also he wasnt employed as far as I have read, was he asking mom and dad for money to buy all these things?

Seems to me that he was living with complete shut ins that had zero clue of what was going on right under their noses. This stuff is like its right out of a horror movie.
I wouldn't be surprised if his parents were paying for some of the stuff as Douglas probably told them it was supplies for maintaining their property. He also apparently had a stolen identity and I think he probably had a credit card or two for that identity. It seems like he also may have had other stolen credit cards.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #167
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I have the impression that the prison system in this country will provide pretty much all those things unfortunately. We may want him to have a miserable existence in prison, but I dont think it really works that way.
They do provide things like Internet and TV however its based on earning the privileged. However those people that are in Max and stuck in their cells they will get a TV of their own and access to books. As far as I know they don't get internet in their cells, and its a pretty locked down version of the net.

In medium and minimum security prisons, the idea of TV is communal, so usually if the toughest guy in the room wants to watch the My Little Pony marathon, you're watching the my little pony marathon.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #168
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
Two empty 50 litre liquid nitrogen containers seized as well as smaller empty container. #Garland
11:03 AM - 25 Jan 2017ReplayRetweetFavorite

Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
The Blood Stopper bottle was nearly empty; more liquid nitrogen containers, those were empty. #Garland

So I guess he used the liquid nitrogen to freeze parts for easier removal? Ugh. What else would liquid nitrogen be used for? Is there a farming use of this product? 50 liter containers seem pretty large.
could be, I might be missing things but they're focusing on body disposal more then anything else, but some of these things could have been used pre-death. If this guy wanted his revenge, its likely that he didn't kill them right away, he wanted to get his satisfaction out of it.

I don't know if there's a farming use for Liquid Nitrogen unless you want to super cool your time machine.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #169
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I recall hearing that liquid nitrogen can be used as a fertilizer. It's poured down deep irrigation pipes and then vaporizes to the surface, putting nitrogen into the soil.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #170
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I recall hearing that liquid nitrogen can be used as a fertilizer. It's poured down deep irrigation pipes and then vaporizes to the surface, putting nitrogen into the soil.
Boring, super cooled robotic tractors being run by intelligent AI's is where its at.

I thought that the liquid nitrogen that they spray on the crops is different from the refrigerant stuff.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #171
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ina Sidhu ‏@CTVInaSidhu 12m12 minutes ago
More
Small, child- sized handcuffs were also found @CTVCalgary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Wow. And that's probably what changed the murder charge for Nathan from 2nd to 1st degree. Sickening.

Edit: Kidnapping is also worthy of a 1st degree charge, as discussed earlier. But this does show intent and premeditation.
The popular media/public theory was that Garland just took and killed the boy out of opportunity. However, with this evidence, I'm not sure what to think. How could he have known that a kid would be there? How many other grandchildren did the Liknes's have? Was he just hedging his bets? BRUTAL and terrifying either way.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #172
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sound like an excuse but I wonder if he had a variety of sizes of the handcuffs because he wasn't sure on which would best fit Mrs Liknes, and it wasn't because he preplanned that little boy's torture and murder.

That's probably my parent's heart and mind speaking, to avoid the horror of it all.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #173
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Liquid Nitrogen can be used for freeze branding or storing bull semen. I've used it for both back when I was on a farm.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #174
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good grief, 1,400 pieces of evidence, from straight jackets to books - his parents must have lived their lives with their heads rammed up thier @$$e$
Old 01-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #175
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Good grief, 1,400 pieces of evidence, from straight jackets to books - his parents must have lived their lives with their heads rammed up thier @$$e$
They lived on a farm with barns/garages, it's not far fetched to believe the parents gave him his privacy with one of the barns and/or garages.

A lot of the stuff was also hidden so that might explain why the parents who are elderly didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #176
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The practical issue with the death penalty is the cost.
The moral issue is: Even if someone "deserves" death for their crime, there is still someone that has to pull the trigger. How do we square the responsibility we put on those people, and the toll that putting others to death would undoubtedly take?

For that reason, calls for "treat him like he treated his victims" are even worse because while you're wishing harm on someone who has done harm, you're also wishing that someone (someone else) commits those same acts, which runs into the problem of having someone who likely has a complete mental break, or worse, is completely comfortable with it (and in that case should probably be locked away themselves).

The assisted suicide proposal would be the best solution in a scenario where a "death sentence" would be a consideration.
Robots can probably take care of this stuff these days.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #177
Frank the Tank
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would like to see people like this put to death on a pay per view event, then give the proceeds to the family. Just kidding! (no I'm not)

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank the Tank For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #178
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The practical issue with the death penalty is the cost.
The moral issue is: Even if someone "deserves" death for their crime, there is still someone that has to pull the trigger. How do we square the responsibility we put on those people, and the toll that putting others to death would undoubtedly take?
The other practical problem is that the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #179
Frank the Tank
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
The other practical problem is that the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime.
I've read that as well. I find that fact amazing.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #180
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I've read that as well. I find that fact amazing.
You'd think, but the "It'll never happen to me" mentality is incredibly pervasive among humans. For pretty much everything. I'd not be surprised if most criminals feel that they won't be caught, and if they are, they won't get the death penalty.

Has occasionally made me wonder if a random spin on the "Wheel of Justice" would be more of a deterrent to crime overall, as you don't know what the consequence of your crime (whatever it may be) would be.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote