Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #141
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Edited my original post. Sequestering was only for deliberations. Sorry for the derail.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #142
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Just a random curiosity:

What would need to be involved in giving someone capital punishment? Like, if a judge wanted to give that sentence, what would have to happen in order for it to actually go through?
The prosecution would have to make their intention to seek the death penalty before the trial. There would be extensive voir dire to select the appropriate jury, more lawyers for both the defense and prosecution, the trail would be longer, cost more and involve lots of experts. Once guilt has been proven at trail, there is a second to hand down the death sentence once the prosecution has proven that the crime rises to a capital offense.

Once a death sentence is handed down, then the appeals start. Years of appeals that the prosecution has to respond to. If all the appeals fail, then they might eventually be executed.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 01-24-2017 at 09:51 PM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #143
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This is the texas primer.

http://www.txexecutions.org/primer.asp

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #144
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are there acreages within Airdrie's limits? An article I read mentioned Garland was living at an 'Airdrie Acreage'?
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:44 PM   #145
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
The prosecution would have to make their intention to seek the death penalty before the trial. There would be extensive voir dire to select the appropriate jury, more lawyers for both the defense and prosecution, the trail would be longer, cost more and involve lots of experts. Once guilt has been proven at trail, there is a second to hand down the death sentence once the prosecution has proven that the crime rises to a capital offense.

Once a death sentence is handed down, then the appeals start. Years of appeals that the prosecution has to respond to. If all the appeals fail, then they might eventually be executed.
There are some things it seems the old west did better.

Don't want to put an innocent person to death, or mandate state sponsored execution, I'm totally behind that. But some people really make you think.

I don't mind Captain's idea. You could even just put some nice painless poison in something tasty and let them decide.

Last edited by Coach; 01-24-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:47 AM   #146
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The practical issue with the death penalty is the cost.
The moral issue is: Even if someone "deserves" death for their crime, there is still someone that has to pull the trigger. How do we square the responsibility we put on those people, and the toll that putting others to death would undoubtedly take?

For that reason, calls for "treat him like he treated his victims" are even worse because while you're wishing harm on someone who has done harm, you're also wishing that someone (someone else) commits those same acts, which runs into the problem of having someone who likely has a complete mental break, or worse, is completely comfortable with it (and in that case should probably be locked away themselves).

The assisted suicide proposal would be the best solution in a scenario where a "death sentence" would be a consideration.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:55 AM   #147
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I like to think that I'm anti-death penalty because of the possibility of executing someone that is innocent. We all know there are many wrongful convictions in Canada. But really, sticking to the f-u side of it, death penalty is too easy of a punishment for the truly guilty. A guy like this is better caged in a padded room, with a drip of water and a couple of granola bars per day, for ever and ever. Not even a shoelace to kill himself with.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #148
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
those books on how to commit murder and get away with it...

getting the impression based on the evidence here that he didn't read it very well.
I was thinking the same thing.

Quick question: Would the defense would have been privy to this evidence before the trial? If so, what were they thinking with pleading not guilty? The crown has a hell of a case against him so far, almost flawless.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #149
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I like to think that I'm anti-death penalty because of the possibility of executing someone that is innocent. We all know there are many wrongful convictions in Canada. But really, sticking to the f-u side of it, death penalty is too easy of a punishment for the truly guilty. A guy like this is better caged in a padded room, with a drip of water and a couple of granola bars per day, for ever and ever. Not even a shoelace to kill himself with.
I completely agree. I specifically wouldn't want the guy to have any means to harm himself. Just sit in solitary for the next 40 years and be trapped with your own thoughts. For someone who seems as vindictive and holds a grudge over a useless patent that would be torture enough.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #150
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I completely agree. I specifically wouldn't want the guy to have any means to harm himself. Just sit in solitary for the next 40 years and be trapped with your own thoughts. For someone who seems as vindictive and holds a grudge over a useless patent that would be torture enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Would this make you guys feel better?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #151
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Are there acreages within Airdrie's limits? An article I read mentioned Garland was living at an 'Airdrie Acreage'?
Yes, their acreage is, it's actually really close to the RCMP headquarters.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #152
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Quick question: Would the defense would have been privy to this evidence before the trial? If so, what were they thinking with pleading not guilty? The crown has a hell of a case against him so far, almost flawless.
Perhaps just to make it difficult for the family. He seems quite obsessed with revenge, and not just plain old rage revenge. Cold, calculated, creepy revenge. Based on some of the other evidence that has come up, this could be some entertainment for him. And that makes my skin crawl.

I know that he has the fundamental right to a trial, we've only seen a portion, and there are all sorts of implications like sentencing, etc. But I don't think that it is beyond the realm of possibility that this is a thrill for him.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #153
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Better than what? Better than capital punishment? Yes, because I am not in favour of that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 01-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #154
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Garland is one of the biggest losers I've read about in ages. Lives with mom and dad, murders a child and two adults over a stupid patent that no one profited from. Just ridiculous.
It looks like this guy has had quite an extensive criminal past as well.

Quote:
The man deemed a “person of interest” in the weeklong disappearance of a little Calgary boy and his grandparents has had sporadic but persistent trouble with authority for much of his life.

Documents from June of 2000 were released Tuesday by the Parole Board of Canada (formerly the National Parole Board) about Douglas Robert Garland, who was then serving time for narcotics offences stemming from a drug lab bust on his parents’ acreage in rural Airdrie, near Calgary, eight years earlier.

Under an “accelerated parole review” program, which no longer exists, Garland was eligible for parole after serving just a sixth of his 39-month sentence.

It appears he was released some time after the June 19, 2000 decision and a follow-up one in October that year.

But the documents also refer to several criminal charges for violence Garland once faced, a two-decades long record for property offences and ongoing “mental health concerns.”
http://o.canada.com/news/national/bl...cuments-reveal
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #155
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Yes
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #156
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

As morbid as it is, I can't help but be fascinated that someone like this actually existed so close-by (and not just on TV). I want to know more details so thanks to those who are providing updates from twitter etc here.

I feel terrible for the family, and specifically the mother of Nathan. What a terrible thing to happen.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #157
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Perhaps just to make it difficult for the family. He seems quite obsessed with revenge, and not just plain old rage revenge. Cold, calculated, creepy revenge. Based on some of the other evidence that has come up, this could be some entertainment for him. And that makes my skin crawl.

I know that he has the fundamental right to a trial, we've only seen a portion, and there are all sorts of implications like sentencing, etc. But I don't think that it is beyond the realm of possibility that this is a thrill for him.
Maybe its a continued path for revenge for him, he knows he's busted, he knows hes guilty, he knows he's going away for a long time. But he's fighting this because he knows what's left of the shattered family is there and he knows he's drawing out their pain.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #158
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ina Sidhu ‏@CTVInaSidhu 12m12 minutes ago
More
Small, child- sized handcuffs were also found @CTVCalgary

Ina Sidhu ‏@CTVInaSidhu 4m4 minutes ago
More
In this building police found empty bottle of Rnase- which is an agent for destroying DNA @CTVCalgary #garland

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 7s7 seconds ago
More
Oxton-in #Garland outbuilding 1-police found a bottle of bloodstopper...an antiseptic blood clotting powder

Last edited by Otto-matic; 01-25-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #159
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Following tweets from court today, there just keeps being more and more really scary physical evidence. Almost seems like more than he would need to undertake the crimes he is accused of. Starting to get an uneasy feeling that this guy either has done more than we know or had bigger plans.

Or maybe it's just the more likely option that he is just bat#### crazy.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #160
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
Two empty 50 litre liquid nitrogen containers seized as well as smaller empty container. #Garland
11:03 AM - 25 Jan 2017ReplayRetweetFavorite

Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
The Blood Stopper bottle was nearly empty; more liquid nitrogen containers, those were empty. #Garland

So I guess he used the liquid nitrogen to freeze parts for easier removal? Ugh. What else would liquid nitrogen be used for? Is there a farming use of this product? 50 liter containers seem pretty large.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote