Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2017, 03:36 AM   #401
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
So you're saying the evidence presented thus far by the crown is simply 'circumstantial' ? Frame job, really ?
I didn't say "simply" at all, I said if there's even a small chance he didn't do it I couldn't vote for a death penalty. unless I missed something there's been no absolute evidence linking Garland and the victims. Every bit of evidence so far could have been planted, do I believe that? No of course not but without a smoking gun,video/photo or reliable witnesses I couldn't vote for a death sentence.

As for the "really?" frame job comment, OJ got off likely because the cops wanted to make sure he didn't get off,and if he didn't have millions of dollars worth of lawyers he would have fried. others who are innocent aren't so fortunate to afford high priced legal teams.

If you think innocent people haven't been executed because they were likely framed by police or others I suggest you do a little research.

Here's a few.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/exec...sibly-innocent

Another study
http://www.newsweek.com/one-25-execu...-claims-248889

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 02-09-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 AM   #402
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Innocents could be wrongfully incarcerated, therefor we should not incarcerate.

You've got to have some faith in the system!

I'd rather have 1M criminal scum get the proper punishment and risk the remote chance myself or one of my fellow countrymen get wrongfully convicted than let "alleged" savages like this guy not see proper justice.
At least you are honest about because the death penalty executes innocent people. I think that is unethical because of its irreversible nature but as long as you don't deny that the death penalty kills innocent people it's a defensible albeit unethical position

Could you explain why death is proper justice instead of jail for life? To me the only difference between life in jail in a max and death is the ability to undo some of the damage if you screwed up. The milgard's and Morans get to have some of their life back.

I do have faith in the system. Faith that most of the time it works but I also have the knowledge that it is fallible and therefore irreversible punishments shouldn't be used.

Remember that your desire to kill Garland also kills David Millgard and likely Clifford Olson so there would have been no way to prove that Clifford Olson was the killer.

Last edited by GGG; 02-09-2017 at 07:10 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #403
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Douglas Garland Trial - Graphic Details

If society believes that killing another human is wrong then society shouldn't do it. To me it's not a question of being certain of guilt, it's that society should be above vengeance.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #404
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, it's not a moral question, but a practical one. I have no issue with the state putting someone to death if that person has undoubtedly committed terrible crimes. In fact, sometimes I think it's too humane to just kill them.

The issue I have is that historically, the application of the death penalty was not applied evenly among various demographics and innocent people have been executed. It's a tool that can be easily abused. As long as there is a chance that one innocent person will be executed, it can't be an option.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #405
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Remember that your desire to kill Garland also kills David Millgard and likely Clifford Olson so there would have been no way to prove that Clifford Olson was the killer.
Larry Fisher.

But thanks for reminding everyone that when people go to jail for something they didn't do the real bad guy also goes free and sometimes on to do more crime unabated.

So Clarkey can't stand the idea of even one savage going free...so much so that he's prepared to be wrongfully imprisoned for his whole life to ensure that never happens...hahahahaha it's so much more BS than even I called it out as.

At least in the Gail Miller murder Fisher died in prison after having been shown to be the one who should have done Milgaard's 23 years.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #406
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The final officer testifying was at the time a relative rookie, 18 months in the force, and joined a police volunteer force to search the farm at night.

I'm surprised but quite impressed that officers volunteered for something they should be paid for. Add to that they're unionized and you get a positive vibe from a service under heavy attack these days.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #407
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Add to that they're unionized and you get a positive vibe from a service under heavy attack these days.
The good stories about our police are there and always have been - you just have too look for them. Cops doing good things don't get the mouse clicks the media needs.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #408
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney

Crown closes its case on #Garland triple murder trial; court to reconvene at 1:30, when defence will announce its plans regarding defence.

11:12 AM - 09 Feb 2017

This should be interesting.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #409
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

That HAWCS unit is worth its weight in gold for these types of scenarios. Tough to hide from infrared.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #410
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
If society believes that killing another human is wrong then society shouldn't do it. To me it's not a question of being certain of guilt, it's that society should be above vengeance.
Well society also believes that forcibly confining someone is wrong, hence kidnapping. I don't disagree with you that capital punishment shouldn't be used, I just think that being locked up is equally horrible. If I was Garland I'd rather they just kill me TBH.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #411
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Clarkey is Calgarypuck's drunk uncle.

Best to ignore his advances.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #412
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy HixtVerified account
‏@NancyHixt

Following
More
Court will return at 1:30-waiting to hear what Defence plan is #Garland
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #413
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to read something chilling in its own right, read the executive summary of the report from the Kaufman Commission, which investigated the wrongful conviction of Guy Paul Morin for the 1984 murder and rape of 9 year old Christine Jessop.
Obviously, this kind of abuse/impropriety of... well... almost everything in the entire system would be very unlikely to happen now, it serves as an important reminder that innocent people have been convicted of heinous crimes, and only later found to be unquestionably innocent.

https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov....rin_esumm.html
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #414
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the defence calls no witnesses and basically just drops their defence (can they actually do that?), then I think its pretty clear cut that he enjoyed getting to relive the crime. Just a despicable human being if that is the case.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #415
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
If the defence calls no witnesses and basically just drops their defence (can they actually do that?), then I think its pretty clear cut that he enjoyed getting to relive the crime. Just a despicable human being if that is the case.
I can't see the jury taking that long to convict if they don't present anything substantial.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #416
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

And they won't call anyone and Garland won't testify according to twitter.

Closing statements on Monday.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #417
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

wtf?

Quote:
Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt32s32 seconds ago

BREAKING Defence for accused triple murderer Douglas #Garland tells court they will not be calling any evidence
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #418
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I can't see the jury taking that long to convict if they don't present anything substantial.
Yeah, I hope not. I just think its the ultimate in sadism to essentially know that you have no defence, but to make everyone lay the case out again while you sit there and enjoy the process.

And on twitter he won't testify and they're not calling any evidence.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #419
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Defense not calling any evidence
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #420
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that pretty much tells you the everyone involved did their job properly and there is nothing the defense can do to refute the Crowns version of events.

Pretty much game over for Garland at this point I would think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post: