Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #261
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way this guy doesn't get convicted. Awesome job CPS.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #262
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some testimony from the person who took the aerial photos today. I won't go into detail but I don't know how his council will try and spin this on cross examination. Pretty clear he did it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #263
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Some testimony from the person who took the aerial photos today. I won't go into detail but I don't know how his council will try and spin this on cross examination. Pretty clear he did it.
I am following the live blog on the calgary herald site. Some jury members have asked for a break after seeing photos of bodies on Garland farm taken on July 1st.

Brutal.

Once again I have to ask myself how a defense lawyer can stand up and try to support an individual like this when they have to know he is clearly guilty. Unbelievable.

I still contend that this dirtbag is using this trial to relive the moment and rub it further into the remaining family.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #264
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nancy HixtVerified account
‏@NancyHixt
The jury guard has asked for a break... there are tears in the court room #Garland

Spoiler!

damn..
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #265
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will also warn anyone following once again--details this afternoon are disturbing. We will not be showing the photos #Garland

NSFW!

The jury guard has asked for a break... there are tears in the court room #Garland
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #266
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
So far today has been testimony from a police officer assigned to analyze cctv footage. Does a good job of showing timeline.

Essentially, Garland arrived at Liknes home around 3:20am, took him approx. 1.5hrs to do his break in and assault/capture, came out to retrieve his truck around 5:00am, took him 20-30mins to load up the bodies, hit the road back to his parents acreage at 5:20am, last footage of the truck seen heading north of the city on deerfoot/hwy 2 at 5:45am. (Large white tarp/package in back of truck)

Footage then captures his truck (back of truck now empty) heading back into the city around 7:20am where he drives to Liknes home again (clean up the scene? or relive moment?) and then heads to a dr. appt which he arrives at a bit late.

Kudos to the police on this one. They have done a lot of groundwork to piece this together.
Did they actually get him on tape loading bodies? Or was the truck just parked in front?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #267
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

But really how lucky is it that this guy was in the air taking pictures that day? Between the pictures and the DNA on the tools it's pretty much a smoking gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #268
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Did they actually get him on tape loading bodies? Or was the truck just parked in front?
The truck was parked in a dead spot between a couple cameras, the cameras were also not clear enough to identify the person walking. They have the same (supposedly) truck later with a large white object in the bed.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #269
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The truck was parked in a dead spot between a couple cameras, the cameras were also not clear enough to identify the person walking. They have the same (supposedly) truck later with a large white object in the bed.
So the tapes will go into the "circumstantial" column then.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #270
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
So the tapes will go into the "circumstantial" column then.
They would probably be in that category anyway, since you can't actually prove it is the same truck since you can't pick out specific markings or a license plate.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #271
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
#Garland intently looking at photos purportedly showing bodies, shown on a screen in the prisoner's box.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #272
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gen pop for this a-hole. Please
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #273
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

An incredible stroke of luck that those aerial photos were taken.

Garland electing trial by judge and jury is a head-scratcher.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #274
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't know what he had pictures of until April 2015. Pictures were from July 1, unreal how lucky that was.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #275
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Cross examination by defence lawyer Jim Lutz: suggests the cameras create one blended image. Yes, says Gagnon. #Garland

Defence trying to poke holes in the validity of the photos. How does this lawyer ask these types of questions without gagging on his own bile at the same time?
Old 02-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #276
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

When I was in grade one, two kids from my school were murdered by their dad. I remember how angry and sad my mother was, even though she didn't know the kids. I was a bit young to comprehend it, but now I do.

People that are guilty of killing children are lucky that I'm not in charge of punishing them... Which leads me to another thing that I think I now understand: how writers come up with these gory shows and movies. Just imagine someone killing your kid, and what you'd do to them, and boom, you have a few episodes of Criminal Minds.

I hope there are a lot of fathers in his cell block.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #277
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Cross examination by defence lawyer Jim Lutz: suggests the cameras create one blended image. Yes, says Gagnon. #Garland

Defence trying to poke holes in the validity of the photos. How does this lawyer ask these types of questions without gagging on his own bile at the same time?
It seems like you have a deep hatred of defence lawyers, but they are doing their job, and their job (regardless of their client) is to provide the most thorough defence possible in protecting the human right of a fair trial.

Who says he isn't gagging on his own bile? It's an incredibly difficult job, but it's one of the most important jobs in the world.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #278
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
My wife works in the mental health field and she simply gets summoned as part of her normal course of employment when she is required to be present for a court proceeding.
Witnesses who happen to be experts but have relevant evidence to give because of their ordinary employment just get a subpoena like any other witness. They have to come to court because they have relevant evidence to give. Most common example would be an ER doctor or nurse.

If you are calling an expert witness who had nothing to do with the actual events to review evidence and give an opinion, generally speaking whether called for the Crown or the defence, that witness is being hired and paid at an hourly rate for their services.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #279
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It seems like you have a deep hatred of defence lawyers, but they are doing their job, and their job (regardless of their client) is to provide the most thorough defence possible in protecting the human right of a fair trial.

Who says he isn't gagging on his own bile? It's an incredibly difficult job, but it's one of the most important jobs in the world.
Its not a "hatred", its more bewilderment that they can defend certain people with a straight face. I am no expert in law but its been my understanding that they know the evidence that is stacked against their client prior to the trial starting/plea being made. When faced with that information I cant believe that this type of thing even hits the court room. Do they not counsel their client to make a logical choice in their plea?

I understand there is a need for fair trial and representation but cant comprehend how these type of cases can still go through. But I understand that is only my opinion.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #280
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get how people ask how the defence lawyer can do his job, I think it is important to remember that even a POS like garland deserves a good defence and it remains up to the crown to prove that he did it.

It sounds hopefully that they will get this pos......