Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fox Confirms Reboot Talks For Prison Break (who cares)... and The X-Files!

Okay it's probably not new thread worthy quite yet, but the more attention I can get to the cause of bringing back The X-Files the better. I am a die hard fan, and it deserves to be brought back to at least end on a better note.

Fox confirmed that there have been early discussions with Chris Carter to for a "continuation" of the show. I know it already ran for nine seasons, but I think with the style of the show there is still many possible stories out there. As usual it all depends on Duchovny's and Anderson's involvement, but I think if they can get them on board at least initially there may be a chance to pass the torch on to a new cast. I've began to take a liking to season eight, as I think Doggett's character brought a new element that the show needed. So I think the show could work without Mulder and Scully, it would just take solid writing to transition the leads to new actors.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not overly obsessed about it, but with all the shows being brought back (Twin Peaks, 24, Arrested Development, Heroes) I think there's obviously a change X-Files coming back as well. There have been discussions of doing a third movie for years now, but continuing it as at least a mini-series makes so much more sense.

Oh and there's Prison Break as well, which doesn't make any sense considering how the show ended, and that barely anyone watched the last few seasons. But if they started it from scratch and stopped it after two or three seasons (like the first one should have), then maybe it would work as well.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

Quote:
On The X-Files front, Fox chairman and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman say they have been in talks with series creator Chris Carter about reviving the supernatural procedural, which was a major hit for the network from 1993 to 2002. The executives also revealed they hope to have original series stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprise their roles on the show.

One thing all three titles have in common is they’re properties of 20th Century Fox Television, which Walden and Newman ran prior to adding the Fox broadcast network to their plate last year.

“It’s true that we’ve had some conversations on X-Files,” Newman said. “We’re hopeful of being able to bring that back at some point.”

Last edited by trackercowe; 01-17-2015 at 11:11 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:16 PM   #2
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me as very concerned regarding the X-Files. The last few seasons of that show were not very good, and a full on reboot could be a disaster.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Please be smart about this Fox. TV has changed. Do 10-13 high level episodes a year, leave us wanting more, not 20-25 watered down the stories that have writing staffs stretching for stories.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

As long we get to see Duchovny in jeans.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 03:56 AM   #5
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Apparently they are also in talks to extend 24, but sans Jack Bauer.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=RW99;5094918]As long we get to see Duchovny in jeans./QUOTE]

I think if they reboot he should be the smoking man.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they're going to reboot X-Files (please don't), then they should just do a clean reboot with no "hand over". IMO, as soon as Mulder and Scully appear on screen, I'm not going to be interested in any other characters taking on the investigations.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I am concerned with them rebooting X-Files. I was/am a huge fan of the series, but I feel like the magic might be gone. The second X-Files movie was horrible and to be perfectly frank, I felt like Duchovny and Anderson had lost their chemistry together. It was uncomfortable. I would not want to see them try this and fail hard. Some things don't need rebooting.

Like Mike F said above, if Duchovny and Anderson are back in the show and manage to find their chemistry, most people won't care about anything else. If they are on the show and they have no chemistry anymore, then they have yet again hurt X-Files fans.

I want to believe (see what I did there), but I just can't think this will be good. Having said that, if it happens for sure, I will be watching.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first season of Prison Break was on par with some of the best TV you could get on regular cable. After that, it became progressively less interesting to the point I didn't get through half the third season, and know nothing of it afterwards.

Got about a season and a half into the X-Files, then life got in the way. Can't really comment too much on it, but it certainly wasn't the worst thing I watched.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the first two seasons of prison break were absolutely terrific. Then went downhill

Can't comment much on the xfiles
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
remember2004
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm not sure how I feel about prison break again... What are they even going to base it on?
remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #12
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I think the first two seasons of prison break were absolutely terrific. Then went downhill

Agreed, me and the girly were hooked from the first few episodes of prison break. Really ended up reaching at the end, was a cool idea though
Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
If they're going to reboot X-Files (please don't), then they should just do a clean reboot with no "hand over". IMO, as soon as Mulder and Scully appear on screen, I'm not going to be interested in any other characters taking on the investigations.
I don't know, I can actually see it working with new characters, so long as they're the right characters - after several quiet years, weird stuff starts happening again. Mulder appears after a few episodes in more of a "deep throat" type role.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:39 AM   #15
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loved the show until the writers began pulling scrips out of their ass. I'm pretty hesitant about about a revival, but I'd check it out.

I don't think Mulder and Scully have 'it' anymore. Look at that last X-Files movie: total ####e. A new duo might work. Someone with more charisma than Dogface and Whatshername in the last two seasons.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #16
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

I wish I never watched the last season of prison break. I've never seen a show wallow into crap as I did that last season. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a stellar first 2 seasons.

X-files was great when I was a kid, but I just don't see a reboot doing the franchise any good. I guess there is some profit to be made by doing this, but I don't see anything good happening from it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should point out that it's not rumoured to be a reboot of the franchise, but a continuation. Duchuvony, Anderson and Carter have all been approached to return. I'm guessing that they would pretend that the last couple of seasons were all a bad dream.

Mulder and Scully would have a teenaged kid, Skinner would have hair plugs.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #18
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Count me as very concerned regarding the X-Files. The last few seasons of that show were not very good, and a full on reboot could be a disaster.
The first couple of seasons of X-Files were great. It was weird and dark. Most of the episodes stood on their own. But once it started become a continuous drama, it became pretty generic
Old 01-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #19
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

any chance gillian anderson could investigate aliens in a bathing suit......
Old 01-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #20
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why would you want to see aliens in bathing suits?
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PowerPlayoffs06 For This Useful Post: