Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #721
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Except some of it is boring art. Lego is as much about the build as it is the display. That coliseum looks like it would be a chore to build. It’s basically 9000 identical pieces.

At least some of the other large sets looked like fun.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:57 PM   #722
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Except some of it is boring art. Lego is as much about the build as it is the display. That coliseum looks like it would be a chore to build. It’s basically 9000 identical pieces.

At least some of the other large sets looked like fun.
No kidding, I was thinking as soon as I looked at it "Man, that would be insanely repetitive".

I still wouldn't mind BUILDING it...but I love building lego. Put on some netflix, and go. It's a blast. But that's...a pretty sizable piece, and it's round, which makes storage really hard.

Makes me wish for a sort of lego build-share kind of thing. I'd love to get it, build it, take it apart, and pass it along.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #723
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My kid is too old for his general LEGO it seems and I've had to stop my wife from recycling it or donating it a couple of times now.

There's a couple of garbage bags of it (well not totally full of course, as full as you'd want without it breaking) so it's a decent amount.

What's the best way to sell it? Just weigh it and put it up for sale? Break it down into bags of a specific amount and sell individually? Catalog the whole thing and sell it piece by piece on Bricklink?

That third option would probably be the most $$ but that seems like a full time job so not SUPER interested in that.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #724
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve got a few of the Indiana Jones LEGO sets that are pretty much complete and with instructions (but in Ziplock bags, without a box). Do they have any value, or any interest?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #725
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My kid is too old for his general LEGO it seems and I've had to stop my wife from recycling it or donating it a couple of times now.

There's a couple of garbage bags of it (well not totally full of course, as full as you'd want without it breaking) so it's a decent amount.

What's the best way to sell it? Just weigh it and put it up for sale? Break it down into bags of a specific amount and sell individually? Catalog the whole thing and sell it piece by piece on Bricklink?

That third option would probably be the most $$ but that seems like a full time job so not SUPER interested in that.

hey photon

if you sort the lego into sets you'll get waaaaaaaaaaaay more $ for it.

if you go back and check this link from me... https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=699
we got a total of 3 rubbermaid totes (68L size) for i think $375.

just these 3 sets we found in the tubs would cost almost $375 now (even more earlier in the year when they were 'new' sets)...
https://www.toysrus.ca/en/search?q=6...on=&lang=en_CA

so far we've found almost 40 sets - it's just nuts!! we figure the value of the 3 tubs to be north of $2500. now grant it, you won't get full pop when selling used lego, but i think a full set at 50% off retail isn't unreasonable. with that 'math' the lady that sold us the 3 tubs of lego could have gotten 3-4 times as much if she had sorted the sets before selling them.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #726
photon

Exp:

I don't think there's any big sets in there (if there is from sets it was from small sets), most of it was purchased/given via basic LEGO sets. The actual sets we have are still assembled or in boxes.

So if there's sets it'll be mostly by either random chance or smaller $25 set level stuff (i.e. there's probably stuff like this in there https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Star...ldable-Figures).
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #727
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some mini star wars sets can go for big bucks. I usually buy up the battle packs when they go on clearance to have more minifigures for the kids to play with. One had commander cody but I had no clue who that was and another had cammo storm troopers, both sell for about $50 a piece on ebay.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #728
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

As some others have mentioned...if you have the desire/ability to sort through some of it (you'd need the instruction books to go with the sets, in the very least) you may be able to make some coin off of it.

If not, you can try to sell it via weight.

An option I've heard of in the past, though I've no idea of they are doing this now, is that you could donate it to the Children's Hospital.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #729
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the going price for weight if you want to Kijiji it? I have a couple of the medium IKEA bins full of it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #730
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

there's also the Lego replay program if you want to donate it

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/aboutus/r...play%20program.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #731
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

One thing to consider that is a bit of a happy medium is at least sorting into color. You can usually get a bit more price per pound when its by color as you find folks that are looking for specific colors for projects.

(sidenote - sorting by color is a terrible idea when trying to organize a collection and I would normally not recommend it)

Also, regarding price, down here in the states between $5-10 per pound is normal for bulk. I'm not sure how the market is up there, but just wanted to throw out numbers from my experience down here.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #732
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
there's also the Lego replay program if you want to donate it

https://www.lego.com/en-ca/aboutus/r...play%20program.

Ok that's pretty cool, I'll have to seriously consider that.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #733
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, thats not bad. I was worried I’d have to pick out the megabloks, but it looks like they will do that for you.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #734
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post

(sidenote - sorting by color is a terrible idea when trying to organize a collection and I would normally not recommend it)
We're at the point now, between lego sets, lego given to us, and classic lego boxes, that we have to come up with a better way of storing it all for the kid.
How do normal people store their lego so kids can play effectively with it?
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #735
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post
We're at the point now, between lego sets, lego given to us, and classic lego boxes, that we have to come up with a better way of storing it all for the kid.

Blocks / Flats / Mini-Figs / Other (wheels, odd shapes, etc)
Old 11-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #736
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmm I have a bin full of lego that I will be selling soon as well.

Biggest one in the collection is the original Venator from Star Wars...
Plus a bunch of the Alien Conquest collection.

There is also a bunch of Halo megablocks stuff as well.

I have the manuals for all of them.

Any idea on value ?
Old 11-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #737
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post
So here are just some thoughts. A lot of serious adult builders use setups with lots of little drawers for each specific part like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-101...5564434&sr=8-6

That is pretty expensive though and not particularly friendly to kids that just want to build in a more sloppy manner.

When I am expanding my collection and going through a major sort, I like these because they are cheap: https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-6...02#lnk=sametab

For 99 cents each I can stock up on 10 or 20 without feeling back and that gives me all sorts of storage options as I re-work things.

IMO, the best longer term storage are like these: https://www.target.com/p/iris-9-draw...p/-/A-81607464

The reason I like them is that they have lots of drawers so you can sort fairly specifically and the drawers are shallow so you can see what is in there without too much digging.

I start basic with my sorting and then get more detailed if the resulting pile is unwieldly. For instance, I have always been able to keep my 1 width and 2 width plates together in one of those 99 cent tubs. But I have gotten so many of them I am going to split the 1 wide apart from the two wide. Similarly, I used to be able to store all 1 wide bricks in a tub and all 2 wide bricks in another. But both of those tubs are full and hard to sort through so I need to split them too. I do have 1 Akro mils unit that I store special parts in that I have fairly small amounts of or that are really small. All my 1x1 plates have a drawer since they would be hard to find in the bin of plates.

As mentioned before, it can be tempting to sort by color. Don't do it! Sort by type. Bricks, plates, slopes, windows/doors, wheels, etc. If you have a tub with a bunch of bricks and need a red one, it is easy to find that in the bin. But if you have a bin full of red bricks and need a 1x2 plate, good luck finding that!

Hope that helps. I have a decent amount of loose lego as I enjoy building custom stuff so I need a decent supply to get projects going. I have 2 kids that are lego age (4 and 6) and I tell them they can use any piece they want to build but I have to put stuff away if they have a mix of parts.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #738
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Hmmm I have a bin full of lego that I will be selling soon as well.

Biggest one in the collection is the original Venator from Star Wars...
Plus a bunch of the Alien Conquest collection.

There is also a bunch of Halo megablocks stuff as well.

I have the manuals for all of them.

Any idea on value ?
For the lego stuff, you can go on bricklink and look at the selling history for each set and what is available out there to give you an idea. I don't trust ebay prices as much but you can see what's out there as well.

I know for me, I scour facebook a lot and see collections that include sets but are just a giant jumble, I don't value those as much. You have to sort out the parts if you want full value. (I mention that since you said they were in a bin. If they are still together, disregard)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #739
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally finished our shelves. Purchased some live edge slabs, sanded it, oiled it, wax, etc.

Moved it from smaller display cabinets, so now they are exposed to dust, but looks way better connecting all of the buildings together

Spoiler!

Planning on putting some Lego Ideas on the top shelf - Grand Piano, Tree House, Ship in a Bottle
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #740
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Finally finished our shelves. Purchased some live edge slabs, sanded it, oiled it, wax, etc.

Moved it from smaller display cabinets, so now they are exposed to dust, but looks way better connecting all of the buildings together

Spoiler!

Planning on putting some Lego Ideas on the top shelf - Grand Piano, Tree House, Ship in a Bottle
Nice collection. No Fire Brigade, I take it?

The Town Hall really is huge compared to all of the other modulars. Wish I had it, but it costs way too much money now.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ahhh_my_foot , ifyoubuildittheywillcome , legorules