Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Constantine TV Series - NBC

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/nb...ine-to-series/

"Based on the wildly popular comic book series “Hellblazer” from DC Comics, seasoned demon hunter and master of the occult John Constantine (Matt Ryan, “Criminal Minds”) specializes in giving hell… hell."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3489184/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Looks like it could be good! I love biblical Heaven vs Hell stories.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Movie always struck me as a universe that could be really interesting in the hands of the right writer.

18 months ago I would have written off any chance of NBC doing this type of material justice, but given how dark they've let Hannibal be, I'm cautiously optimistic
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #3
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Even the movie was good, in spite of Keanu and some standard comic cheesiness. Tilda Swinton and Peter Stormare were great.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 AM   #4
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I was dragged to the movie as it wasn't my kind of thing. Don't go for most comic movies or summer popcorn flicks but I have to admit I was pleasently surprised with it. I'll give this a try.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be awesome it Stormare made some cameos as satan in the series. He was awesome in the movie.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #6
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Too bad the movie wasn't even remotely like the comics. As I would imagine this TV will neither be.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Even the movie was good, in spite of Keanu and some standard comic cheesiness. Tilda Swinton and Peter Stormare were great.
No mention of Gavin Rossdale's performance?
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is great news, I wasn't familiar with the source material going in but i ended up loving the movie as it is still in my top ten of all time favorites. I know the movie wasn't perfect but i really enjoyed the performances (including Keanu's although i felt like he's character should have had facial hair), the special effects were awesome and very interesting (after that kid found the knife and was hit by the car) but I really felt the direction and overall feel to the movie was pure genius. The director Francis Lawrence has made some pretty impressive movies since (I Am Legend was great although i preferred his alternate ending on the blu-ray then the studio's plus the second Hunger Games was so much better then the first) so i am hopeful that the show will be good and decide to follow the likes of Hannibal while acting nothing like Grimm, Sleepy Hollow or Arrow.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The first trailer has already been released. Looks promising. Hopefully there's an arching story to go along with the demon of the week. No cigarettes though...

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks bad. Neither lead has the gravitas needed, and the tone looks too light. Basically your standard main steam network take on this type of material; more Grimm than Hannibal.

Looks to be a big step down from the movie, rather that the step up I was hoping for.

I'll watch, but with low expectations.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 AM   #11
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Why even call it Constantine?

I mean the show looks interesting and probably would be good in its own right. But why say its based on the comics and then essentially #######ize the whole concept of the novels?

Its like the movie "I am Legend". Besides the name of the book and the main characters name, the movie is completely and utterly different than the story and the themes behind the story.

Frustratingly stupid.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

From that trailer the lead guy looks like a B movie actor at best. Definite pass
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, NBC has it on Fridays so they don't really believe in it. Friday is where shows are placed to die.

The main character isn't sardonically brooding enough and emotionally scared enough to be Constantine. I'll watch the first 4 and judge from there.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #14
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the show is getting pretty interesting. Funny story about Constantine is that the NBC suits wanted a Grimm like fluff and they panicked pretty hard after previewing the series as it doesn't really have that feel. It does start to get darker about 5 episodes in. and the last 2 were quite fun. It is a serial show and I wish it wasn't, but that's network TV. People need to understand what's happening even if they only watch 3 episodes out of 12.

I give it the recommend and I do believe it is gaining an audience. At first it was on the chopping block, but then it looked like it might be renewed and as of 2 days ago, it might get the axe... I hope not.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #15
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I watched 3 episodes and then stopped because there is no way it will last. The ratings are not good at all. I believe I read the first season order was cut down and that to me says no second season. I wouldn't get your hopes up. I gave up on it because I'm tired of getting into series' and then having them simply yanked from the schedule so when I see bad ratings, I move on quickly.

Edit: It has been cancelled already.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...nceled/350009/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ntrary/333558/

Quote:
Constantine has been canceled. NBC opted to not pick up the back 9 episode order for the rookie drama. In recent memory, every Fall premiere rookie show intended for a full season that was ended after 13 or fewer episodes (in a non WGA strike season) was canceled.

Last edited by Igster; 01-21-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #16
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
I watched 3 episodes and then stopped because there is no way it will last. The ratings are not good at all. I believe I read the first season order was cut down and that to me says no second season. I wouldn't get your hopes up. I gave up on it because I'm tired of getting into series' and then having them simply yanked from the schedule so when I see bad ratings, I move on quickly.

Edit: It has been cancelled already.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...nceled/350009/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ntrary/333558/
It'll get shopped and pop up on a Cable show. If it does, I'll let you know.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #17
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
It'll get shopped and pop up on a Cable show. If it does, I'll let you know.
Doubt it. It's too expensive I bet. Can't see anyone picking it up. Plus, the ratings have been pretty bad.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote