Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ooo didn't think of that!
Old 03-21-2021, 06:26 AM   #22
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome they brought back Georges St-Pierre!

I’m intrigued but episode one was oddly paced. Starts with that epic rescue then a cool Winter Solider flashback, but ends with an awkward first date and a loan application.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Awesome they brought back Georges St-Pierre!

I’m intrigued but episode one was oddly paced. Starts with that epic rescue then a cool Winter Solider flashback, but ends with an awkward first date and a loan application.

I loved that the GSP fight with Captain America was really well done and you felt that despite Caps super strength that there was a chance that the bad guy would win. So I loved the fight with him.

Its clear that they spent a ton of money on the effects and CGI, and for a episodic show its set a new standard. I would argue that the CGI is far more real and polished looking then the Justice League re-release.

They had neat little human moments in this Winter Solidiers interactions with the old man. The date. Falcon's actions in the bank, when he realized that all the good he's done is never something where he should expect repayment or sympathy.

Really enjoyed the tone of the first episode.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #24
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Off to a strong start. I LOVE how Bucky is traumatized and so clearly wants to make amends.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:03 PM   #25
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I loved the bank scene. In America you can be an Avenger, but if you're a Black man the teller is going to ask if you're a football player, deny your loan, and then ask for a selfie. I loved that the sister knew exactly how it was all going to go down.

There's a lot here to get excited about. It feels like a slow-burn Jason Bourne kind of movie — spy action, emphasis on stunts. The Bucky scenes were the most I've cared about Bucky in any of the movies to date. Loved the psychologist scene.

I really loved WandaVision, and I'm into this for different reasons. I love that they are so different but both so ... comic-booky-y. Exciting times!
rogermexico is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Bank scene actually sold it for me.

I mean being a hero is not about the money, but still seeing that Falcon and the Winter Soldier are not living at Avenger center in the lap of luxury sipping latte's and musing about which of Tony's cars they're taking for a rip adds a little bit of edge to the show.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 08:09 PM   #27
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Bank scene actually sold it for me.

I mean being a hero is not about the money, but still seeing that Falcon and the Winter Soldier are not living at Avenger center in the lap of luxury sipping latte's and musing about which of Tony's cars they're taking for a rip adds a little bit of edge to the show.
That could have been what it was like before the blip for Sam? But they really stressed how the unblip has changed things. Starks dead, Natasha is dead, Steve gone, do the Avengers exist as an active team right now? Seems like no.

Why did Bucky leave Wakanda? Got a pardon but has an axe to grind?
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:46 PM   #28
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post

Why did Bucky leave Wakanda? Got a pardon but has an axe to grind?
Seems more like he's trying to get relief from the demons in his own mind/guilt.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #29
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Second episode up. More detail on the bad guys, which is nice. Set up as a reasonably significant threat.

I also thought the "couples therapy" scene was pretty funny. Be interesting to see how much they develop the new Captain America - I thought he was going to end up a villain, but maybe the season ends with him giving the shield back to Sam along with a heartfelt speech.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #30
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loved the second Episode. Really giving everyone some gray to work in. Bad guys have some relatable beefs, Capt using a gun, Zemo turning into Hannibal Lector.

Spoiler!
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #31
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Battlestar? Stop the car."
Old 03-26-2021, 09:43 PM   #32
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised Sam and Bucky didn't immediately punch Walker for the whole "Steve Roger was like a brother to me" bit.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 09:46 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Is it me, but I find Walker to be actually a bit unlikeable. He's trying to be too perfect, and wholesome and all of that junk.

I wonder if somehow there's a link between refinding the Super Soldier serum and the Catepiller arc in Agents of Shield.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #34
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the thing with Walker, he is demanding the respect of the Captain America title without actually having earned it so he comes off as kinda smarmy and arrogant. He is treating Sam and Buck as sidekicks that work under him, but they were doing his job long before Walker got the title. I'm not sure he's all that wholesome tho with his #### eating grin and the whole "stay out of my way" threat that Steve Rogers would never have resorted to.

I think it's probably some derivative of what was given to Isiah and what Hydra used to power up Bucky. It'll be something weaker and has the side effect of killing most the ppl it's administered to. In the comics 300 candidates were given that version, only Isiah survived.

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-27-2021 at 08:06 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 10:48 PM   #35
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That was a very good episode, still waiting on my agent 13 fix. But we started getting into the odd couple / buddy cop bits I had shown up for. Good bad guy arc, you can comprehend it but don't agree with it. Walker giving us that Vought vibe, but towing the line tight enough you aren't sure which way he will end up going. Isaiah filling in some lost history in the timeline. I'm likely the idea that the overall day to day challenges heroes are going to deal with in the MCU is year is how the hell the world is going to deal with 3.5 billion extra people to house and feed over night, taking time to reflect on the fallout always makes for the best super hero stories.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:02 AM   #36
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flag Smashers aren’t the bead guys here, they are going to end up on team Falcon.

The GRA? (Forget the acronym) is going to be involved in the power broker and they are going to be running the Captain America program and connected to that senator from Buckys making amends.

What’s interesting is none of the super kids blipped so they look to be about 20-25 right now so if they are locked up “Hydra” experiments, the blip happens and enough of the guards and program runners disappear and they get free. Then the unblip and the old establishment comes back to try to put you back under control.

I really like the buddy cop and rival cop buddies they set up here. What are you a white panther was great.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #37
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels a regular TV show, verses The Mandalorian or even WandaVision which felt like movies and a higher budget.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #38
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
That's the thing with Walker, he is demanding the respect of the Captain America title without actually having earned it so he comes off as kinda smarmy and arrogant. He is treating Sam and Buck as sidekicks that work under him, but they were doing his job long before Walker got the title. I'm not sure he's all that wholesome tho with his #### eating grin and the whole "stay out of my way" threat that Steve Rogers would never have resorted to.

I think it's probably some derivative of what was given to Isiah and what Hydra used to power up Bucky. It'll be something weaker and has the side effect of killing most the ppl it's administered to. In the comics 300 candidates were given that version, only Isiah survived.
I think they could have spent a little time showing Walker's qualifications through some flashbacks. He's a decorated solider, and they've told us that, but perhaps showing us that he's actually the cream of the crop for soldiers might have helped sell him as someone who could be the successor to Captain America.

He's definitely not a likeable character but I don't think we're supposed to not like him.

Last edited by KTrain; 03-28-2021 at 08:45 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #39
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Feels a regular TV show, verses The Mandalorian or even WandaVision which felt like movies and a higher budget.

From what I've read, this series has a $150 million budget, which is on par with those other shows. You could see it especially in episode 1 with that amazing opening action sequence.

Episode 2 was more dialogue and character driven, so we didn't see a lot of the big bang action stuff, which made it feel more like a regular TV series.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #40
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
From what I've read, this series has a $150 million budget, which is on par with those other shows. You could see it especially in episode 1 with that amazing opening action sequence.

Episode 2 was more dialogue and character driven, so we didn't see a lot of the big bang action stuff, which made it feel more like a regular TV series.
Both episodes had wild action sequences by TV standards, there is no way this thing is being done on a network TV budget.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote