Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #1361
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ko!!!!!!!
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #1362
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Um I think Chiampa just murdered Cole with that spot. That's the spot of the fracking decade. Beth Phoenix is stunned.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #1363
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What a card, that's the ppv of the year, and its not even close.

Holy mackeral I'm freaking exhausted and that ending.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:29 PM   #1364
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think the Smackdown and Raw crews are sitting in front of their TV's tonight going aw $$$$ how do we top that card.

How does Cole fight tomorrow night, I think he's dead.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #1365
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Mick Foley who?

Old 11-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #1366
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

They should’ve had Cole kick out there
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #1367
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I loved loved loved that they referred to Finn as the Prince. He's a superb heel.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #1368
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a great TakeOver.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1198459005984620544
Old 11-23-2019, 10:40 PM   #1369
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1198399888045879296

I'll just leave this here.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #1370
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I forget who said it, but one wrestler famously said that "Ladder matches take years off of your career"

Watching the last 3 NXT Wargames, I'm convinced that a wargame match might take years off of their lives.

So brutal

Old 11-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #1371
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I forget who said it, but one wrestler famously said that "Ladder matches take years off of your career"
Probably Edge, Beth Phoenix mentioned him telling her that during NXT either this past week or the week before.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #1372
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I attended the CWE event this past Thursday at The Legion for the “Juice is on the Loose” tour of Juventud Guerra....I felt like I was in the movie “The Wrestler”. There were roughly 42 people in attendance including my group. Juventud was terrible and looked very disinterested. The rest of the matches were actually not bad and I was entertained for the whole show. While small, the crowd was quite hot and vocal.

The awkward spot of the night was when all the wrestlers had to march over to the merchandise area during intermission to meet and greet fans and take pictures. I actually felt really bad for them as no one was buying any of their merchandise or taking pictures. People would awkwardly rummage around the tables not making eye contact with the wrestlers in the hopes of not being sucked into buying something.

They were selling old posters and pictures of former WWF legends, old DVD’s, used action figures repackaged in zip-loc bags, and T-shirts (almost bought an LWO shirt). We walked around the area a bit and congratulated everyone on their matches, but the whole time I felt like I had to buy the entire table cause I felt bad. I can’t imagine these wrestlers touring the country and wrestling to 40 people a night and possibly selling one glossy photo of themselves for $20. One of the wrestlers said the tour consisted of 40 stops....What a way to make a living...

In the case of Juventud, here is a guy that wrestled in front of 30,000 people in his prime and was a title holder for the largest promotion in the world. Now here he is sitting at a wooden table in a dusty old Legion, selling old WCW autographed photos of himself for $25, and putting on a terrible match for 42 people. Is it desperation? Is it love for the sport and performing? It sure as hell can’t be about the money. Whatever the case, it was definitely a little sad to see.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006

Last edited by The Familia; 11-24-2019 at 09:56 AM.
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #1373
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First of all, I used to love the feel of independent wrestling groups, especially the ones that were in my mind at the bottom of the barrel. The ones where they desperately bring in old recognizable former Stars like Greg Valentine, or Demolition. Those guys that dropped off of TV and you wonder where they've gone. And yes they made most of their money at the merchandising tables and they just weren't comfortable with actual fan interaction, but they thought they'd be in the big leagues forever and blew through their money in an orgy of sex, drugs and the rock and roll life style. Plus in this case, Juice was never the same after he drank a drink spiked with PCP during a WCW tour in Australia, supposedly it caused damage. Kind of like poor Terry Gordy (RIP))

I remember when I was traveling for my job and I saw an add for some fed playing out of a Legion Hall and their main event was Jake the Snake Roberts vs Barry Horowitz. Both guys were past their prime and it was just a ridiculously bad match, Jake was all pot belly and skinny arms and legs, Barry was up there in age. At one point Barry unleashed a flurry of punches and I swear Jake's lunch started coming up and he dove out of the ring. It was sad and brilliant.

Then you get that mixed bag of the young guys just starting out and these are split into the three groups. "This guy does have some talent, maybe he'll get somewhere with this" vs "This guys is clearly doing this for the love of wrestling, but man he's terrible" vs "This guy just wants all of his sports done in a 5 minute match"

But the crowds were always the best part, they were always tiny, and they were more into it then the fans of WWE or AEW or whatever because this is their fed and their discovery, so they would sound like 10x the size that they were.

I sometimes do think though that my biggest regret was not being able to go and see a original ECW show, I would have also liked to have seen a UWF show because supposedly they were insane.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #1374
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The red lights make The Fiend unwatchable
Old 11-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #1375
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, that and I just don't like how they've booked him. I get they're trying to do a Jason think with him where he gets beaten down and comes back like an immortal monster, but I was hoping he'd be way more dominant. Plus he still fights too much like Bray, they should have done more to modify his style.

The Men's survivor series match was just a badly booked mess, and the fans have really turned on Seth.

But overall this has been a good ppv.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #1376
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Not just the red lights.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #1377
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Overall this wasn't a bad ppv, it was nowhere near as good as NXT Takeover though, and it did get flatter as the night went on.

Viking Raiders def UE and New Day

This was in the kickoff show, it was a solid enough match but more suited to Raw then a PPV. Some pretty good spots, and I get why the Viking Raiders went over

C

Women's Survivor Series -- Rhea Ripley (NXT) def. Sasha Banks (SD) via pinfall as NXT (Ripley, Candice LaRae, Io Shirai) survives

I really liked this match, it had some good spots and some good booking moments, as well we continue to see the heel strength of the Kabuki Warriors. Rhea Ripley has just put it all together, and I was amazed at how good she looked considering the beating that she took last night. The turning of Charlotte against her team mate Asuka was a neat bit, especially since Charlotte has really lost steam lately.

B

Midcard Champions -- Roderick Strong (NXT) def. Shinsuke Nakamura (SD) via pinfall and AJ Styles (Raw)

This was a great match with a lot of strong spots, and Roderick Strong is amazing at what he does, and Sami Zayn is a great manager. This is the start of a really strong push for Strong

A

NXT Championship -- Adam Cole (c) def. Pete Dunne via pinfall to retain the title:

Probably the match of the night for me, it had some brilliant booking concepts with the wrestlers attacking their obviously beat up opponent from last night, and a sequence of near fall exchanges that was really neat to watch. Cole is a legit star now in this industry.

A+

Universal Championship -- "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt (c) def. Daniel Bryan via pinfall to retain the title

I'm not digging the Fiend the Wrestler, the Fiend the Character is good, but there's too much Jason, Michael Myers concepts in there where he takes a beating for a long time and keeps slowly rising. I've said that the reason why the Fiend doesn't work is because he uses Bray Wyatts move set so its just Bray in a mask instead of what I'd hope it would be, a seperate psyche under the mask. Daniel was also pretty lackluster in this match and I'm tired of the red light stuff.

D

Men's Survivor Series Elimination -- Roman Reigns (SD) def. Keith Lee (NXT) via pinfall as the sole survivor for SD:

This match left me wanting more, KO is alimented early on even after they teased that he was disloyal. Baron Corbin of course turns on a team mate, They teased a future fued between Orton and Riddle, and they made Lee look strong. Rollins practically got boo'd out of the building during his entrance.

C

WWE Championship -- Brock Lesnar (c) def. Rey Mysterio via pinfall to retain the title (No Holds Barred):

I'm just not a fan of Rey, I don't know he's talented and does a lot of things right, but whenever he wrestlers I want to see him get crushed, and I want to see his son get crushed. Fortunately Lesnar German Suplexed Junior out of his Keds and finished off Rey, but this match was flat for me.

D

Women's Champions -- Shayna Baszler (NXT) def. Bayley (SD) via submission and Becky Lynch (Raw):

These girls just didn't have much chemistry going and it showed. Shayna brings a touch of real legitimacy to everything that she does. Her reversal of the disarmer was so brilliant, and her joint damaging attack is fun to watch and she's a great heel. Bayley, man I don't know, this heel persona isn't working maybe because it feel so phony, and she was booked as the person that really shouldn't have been in this match so she was the keystone cop, and I worried about her suffering a real hip injury due to a nasty fall outside of the ring.

As an add on, maybe its just me, but Becky is getting boring again. I mean her interviews are the same thing, her matches are the same thing, she's to me stale.

I also hate that WWE couldn't just give Shayna the win, Becky basically pretty much no sold a high spot near the end of the match to attack Shayna as she celebrated. This was probably a good Raw main event , but had no business being a Survivor Series Main Event

C

Stone Cold Podcast with the Undertaker.

If you have the network you need to watch this, its a fabulous hour long session of Stone Cold and Undertaker telling stories. Ut talks about his time ending in WCW when Ole Anderson told him that nobody would ever pay to watch him wrestle. How Mark when he was heading to the WWE thought that he was destined to hatch from the Gobbly ####ers egg as the Egg man.

Its a great interview to watch.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #1378
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
I feel like I am the only one that likes the red lights.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #1379
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I feel like I am the only one that likes the red lights.
I don't mind them.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #1380
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

What's up with Rollins? Why are people booing him now? I pay no attention to RAW anymore.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote