Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #2901
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I thought Beyond was the best of the three with this cast, and the fact that it was planet-based rather than almost all starship based like the previous two made it feel thematically a lot more like the original series. Some of the best humour of the three as well, especially between Bones and Spock. There were definitely moments that were a bit much, but that was true of the previous two as well.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:50 PM   #2902
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beyond is awesome, easily a top 5 Trek movie. They also really nailed the guest character, every time Jaylah is on the screen she’s fantastic. I also never would’ve guessed the climax of the Kelvin trilogy would be an NX-class starship blasting Beastie Boys - clever and original and just a lot of fun. Oh and the design of that sphere space station / city everyone is living in is incredible. Like, peak sci-fi design work, across any movie.

Only miss was in putting Idris Elba in scary bad alien make up for 95% of the movie, all for the sake of a ‘twist’ no one really cared about. Would’ve been a lot better and more menacing if we could’ve actually seen his performance and he spoke regularly.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:45 AM   #2903
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The station was so cool.

The transparent basement starship parking was pure science fiction eye candy.

And agreed on the planet centric plot. I can't pinpoint why it helped but it did. Maybe cause when everything is in space there is less ability to track in your mind where they are. Being on a planet grounds things a bit.

I love how brutal they made Elba's hive fleet right from the get go. And Jaylah was really likable.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:54 AM   #2904
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also enjoyed Beyond. It was much better than Into Darkness. The Sabotage finale had me jamming in my theatre seat for sure. A great call back to the 1st movie.

I watched Love and Monsters on Netflix. Surprisingly delightful and left me wanting to see more of the world they created. A pretty contained story set in a post-nuclear apocalypse where Earths creatures were mutated into giant monsters. It's pretty upbeat and lighthearted considering the setting.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #2905
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beyond was written by Simon Pegg and Derek Jung. Jung is more of a paint by numbers, make the studio notes a reality type of guy. Kids, see if you can spot the tonal shifts! And they really need to stop crashing the Enterprise. It's supposed to basically be a character in the show, and they keep murdering her. The last Star Trek moment that treated the ship with respect was Enterprise, otherwise they are dipping their ships in oceans, or crashing them into mountains, or whatever.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #2906
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Beyond was written by Simon Pegg and Derek Jung. Jung is more of a paint by numbers, make the studio notes a reality type of guy. Kids, see if you can spot the tonal shifts! And they really need to stop crashing the Enterprise. It's supposed to basically be a character in the show, and they keep murdering her. The last Star Trek moment that treated the ship with respect was Enterprise, otherwise they are dipping their ships in oceans, or crashing them into mountains, or whatever.
In reality it makes you wonder about the Starfleet Training Process.

If you're so hot-awesome how come you keep destroying the ship so goddamned always??

And you never, never let Riker fly! He's supposed to be this hotshot pilot and yet every time he's in charge the ship is doomed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #2907
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I recently watched 2 older comedies I hadn't seen before.

Ruthless People from 1986 with Danny DeVito, and Quick Change from 1990 with Bill Murray (a small role by my favourite Phil Hartman too).

Both were really good, but it's interesting seeing how mainstream comedies have changed so dramatically over time. The jokes in these movies were really understated, almost throwaway lines without the overt hand-holding you see in comedies today.

Last edited by AC; 05-09-2021 at 03:40 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #2908
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In reality it makes you wonder about the Starfleet Training Process.

If you're so hot-awesome how come you keep destroying the ship so goddamned always??

And you never, never let Riker fly! He's supposed to be this hotshot pilot and yet every time he's in charge the ship is doomed.
Hmmmm!
Old 05-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #2909
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hitman's Bodyguard

Everything I thought it would be.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #2910
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

We were in the mood for big, dumb and fun the other day and threw on Battleship (2012). Sweet Jesus what a terrible movie. It was definitely big & dumb but I also found most of the characters completely and entirely unlikeable and stupid, especially the main protagonist. Rhianna rocks though, although they go almost overboard on the toughness with her. But yeesh what a pile of semi-entertaining garbage.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #2911
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
We were in the mood for big, dumb and fun the other day and threw on Battleship (2012). Sweet Jesus what a terrible movie. It was definitely big & dumb but I also found most of the characters completely and entirely unlikeable and stupid, especially the main protagonist. Rhianna rocks though, although they go almost overboard on the toughness with her. But yeesh what a pile of semi-entertaining garbage.

Filming people playing Battleship would have been more entertaining.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #2912
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Filming people playing Battleship would have been more entertaining.
Meh, it's been done. It's not that entertaining.

*okay the last one is pretty entertaining*

Nah, the best thing to do would be to recreate the original ads, like THIS one!

The intense pointing and laughing gives it an extra special touch.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #2913
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just rewatched a classic oddball horror comedy from 1988, Waxwork.

Still great.

The sequel falls flat as it tried to piggyback off the Bill & Ted / Back to the Future idea heavily... but it does feature this amazing rap to end the movie:

Enough said.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #2914
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched one last night called Oxygen, on Netflix.

Claustrophobic sci-fi mystery, with basically 1 character and 1 setting for the entire film.

Really really liked it!
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #2915
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I Like Jupiter's Legacy. It's not really like The Boys at all. A pretty original and interesting origin story.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:39 PM   #2916
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Tenet was interesting. I didn’t get the complaints about the sound quality of characters’ voices; everything was pretty clear on that front. What wasn’t clear was what was going on. The overall plot was fine understandable, but the details were confusing and seemed really inconsistent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 07:28 AM   #2917
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm halfway through. I find the sound really annoying. There is constant noise all the time. Sometimes it's music, sometimes it's just...irritating noise. Every scene feels crushing, just let it be quite for a bit! I did end up turning subtitles on just to make out what they are saying, which made it better, but to me that's a big failure of someone along the way.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #2918
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So Tenet was interesting. I didn’t get the complaints about the sound quality of characters’ voices; everything was pretty clear on that front. What wasn’t clear was what was going on. The overall plot was fine understandable, but the details were confusing and seemed really inconsistent.
I got through Tenet the second time I attempted it and I still couldn't explain what happened if my life depended on it. I've summed it up as "punishingly impenetrable".
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #2919
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I got through Tenet the second time I attempted it and I still couldn't explain what happened if my life depended on it. I've summed it up as "punishingly impenetrable".
Brockmire knows what Nolan is about.

Quote:
Brockmire: My only triggers are dive bars and the movies of Christopher Nolan.

Jules: That's right! You threw a whiskey bottle at my TV during Interstellar!

Brockmire: Interstellar. You know, I just want to be told a story at the goddamned movie. I don't want to be taught a lesson in how to solve the puzzle of what the hell I'm watchin'.

NSFW!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #2920
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nolan can make good movies. Look at Batman, Memento, Inception. I think he had a clearer visions in how the mechanics of his worlds worked. Interstellar was okay, not great, but Tenet was just… I don’t feel like he knew how things were going to work. Some things go backwards; people talk in reverse but move forwards; flames are cold, but things still burn and explosions are still otherwise normal. Eventually as a viewer, you give up and start ignoring it. It kind of felt like he was trying to do a temporal / time travel version of Inception.