Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #5441
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Goddamit Flames say something. Demonstrate, at least for the benefit of your season ticket holders, one ounce of goodwill.

"We appreciate, and consider it to be a positive step forward that City Council has voted to strike a special committee to look at various possibilities for a new arena in Calgary, for the benefit of all Calgarians. We look forward to meeting with them at their earliest opportunity."

I am going to the STH information session next week and am gonna blast them.
If they claim "no reason to believe anything's changed" like a month ago, quote this from the Council Motion directing the new committee of new negotiators: "...pursuing new and various options for a funding framework"
Old 05-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #5442
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
If they claim "no reason to believe anything's changed" like a month ago, quote this from the Council Motion directing the new committee of new negotiators: "...pursuing new and various options for a funding framework"
Will do!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #5443
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Call me crazy, but I liked Nenshi in that interview Getback posted. Good info, and I didn't think he sounded snarky in it. I do think he sounds that way at times, but I thought he was good in that interview.
People hear/see what they want to hear/see. They have their opinions and stick to them. It's the same with players - people make up their minds and everything is viewed through that lens.

I didn't hear any snark. People dislike Nenshi so no matter what he does he's a snarky guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #5444
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
People hear/see what they want to hear/see. They have their opinions and stick to them. It's the same with players - people make up their minds and everything is viewed through that lens.

I didn't hear any snark. People dislike Nenshi so no matter what he does he's a snarky guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.
I agree.

My caveat is that hes often right.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #5445
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Maybe 50% of the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I agree.

My caveat is that hes often right.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2018, 11:19 PM   #5446
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
And the Flames reaction to this development is.....?
I'm sure they're furiously working on a pie chart that show how it's really them that initiated this development. Furiously.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:40 AM   #5447
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Klein does it, he is the best mayor in history!
Nenshi does it, he is the biggest egotistical smarmass in history!
Klein was brash, bold and a business bully but extremely likable, Nenshi's ego and smug attitude are unlikable, plus a face one would like to punch.

Turn back the clock even 20 years I think Klein would crush Nenshi in an election
Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 AM   #5448
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Klein was brash, bold and a business bully but extremely likable, Nenshi's ego and smug attitude are unlikable, plus a face one would like to punch.

Turn back the clock even 20 years I think Klein would crush Nenshi in an election
Nah, millennials would have connected more with Nenshi than Klein, who seems to invoke nostalgic pride in what Calgary "used to be", a somewhat still popular sentiment for older folks.

Calgary in the 2010's is not the same as Calgary in the 1980's. Vast social differences.

Nenshi is well liked by some. The election results prove it.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #5449
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Nah, millennials would have connected more with Nenshi than Klein, who seems to invoke nostalgic pride in what Calgary "used to be", a somewhat still popular sentiment for older folks.

Calgary in the 2010's is not the same as Calgary in the 1980's. Vast social differences.

Nenshi is well liked by some. The election results prove it.
Millennials weren’t voting 20 years ago.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:55 AM   #5450
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
Millennials weren’t voting 20 years ago.
Define going 20 years back. Socially? Economically? Politically? Everything?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #5451
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Define going 20 years back. Socially? Economically? Politically? Everything?
I was assuming everything and Nenshi acting the way he does now and Klein acting the way he did at the time. Millennials and their perceived ways of thinking/set of values were not really in the picture and I agree that Klein would have crushed him back in 1998
Old 05-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #5452
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Ok
Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #5453
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sorry but there's no way Klein would have survived as a politician in the age of social media. The guy could be charming and clever but he could also be belligerent, petty, abrasive and short-sighted. His liquid lunches at the Cecil alone would have done him in.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #5454
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was mentioned about him as a politician 20 years ago (1998) He was the Premier of Alberta until mid-December 2006
Old 05-30-2018, 07:48 AM   #5455
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Just to be clear, 20 years ago he was Premier, not mayor, which has different issues at hand to deal with. Not sure if it's the best comparison since their jurisdictions for governance were not the same.

Klein in the 80s? Sure. But like I said, Calgary is so different since then, I am not sure young people would perceive a guy like Klein the same as back then.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #5456
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Klein had the magic of the common touch. people liked Klein despite his flaws and forgave him. people felt like he was just a average joe done good.

Nenshi doesn't have that. as smart and capable as he is, he'll always be an elitist jerk.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #5457
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

...says the Nensheep. Of course you didn't. So it must mean our perception is wrong. Not yours.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #5458
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do the Flames need to respond at all? The Committee hasn't even met yet and don't until June 19th. Perhaps they're waiting for something more substantial than "we're looking into it." Let's not roast the Flames for not saying anything yet. Nobody knows where this development will lead, especially the Flames. They're also waiting on a decision regarding the Olympics because that would also surely get them into a new building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #5459
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Nensheep? Lol. Better visit Silly Hall to confirm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #5460
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Why do the Flames need to respond at all? The Committee hasn't even met yet and don't until June 19th. Perhaps they're waiting for something more substantial than "we're looking into it." Let's not roast the Flames for not saying anything yet. Nobody knows where this development will lead, especially the Flames. They're also waiting on a decision regarding the Olympics because that would also surely get them into a new building.
No... look I won't say that there haven't been negative elements to both sides in this but it seems to me that the city has taken the relative high road at every possible chance where the flames have absolutely not. As said above, it's time to show some good will and good faith. If you're not capable of that at this point then why bother negotiating.
Closed Thread