Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #3861
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm trying to justify getting a gravel bike and I can maybe do it if I tell myself I'm going to use it as a winter bike.

I think I can get 35-38mm tires on the frame I'm looking at and I will be mostly downtown.

Has anybody biked in the winter here on a gravel bike and have any experience to offer in regard to that?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #3862
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
You could go up along Harvest Hills Blvd on the Pathway, keep going north past T&T (sidewalk on some short sections) and head west on the pathway just west of the Superstore and snake your way to the 14 th St Bridge which has a pathway across Stoney. That gets you to Carrington which has a pathway over to Livingstone. It isn't a great setup.
Thanks, I'll check out that route on google maps!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:45 PM   #3863
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hack&Lube, which way are you coming up from? There are a few bridges and underpasses crossing Stoney Trail that link up with the Mattamy Trail. Going north on 14th St NE from Country Hills might work for you.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #3864
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm trying to justify getting a gravel bike and I can maybe do it if I tell myself I'm going to use it as a winter bike.

I think I can get 35-38mm tires on the frame I'm looking at and I will be mostly downtown.

Has anybody biked in the winter here on a gravel bike and have any experience to offer in regard to that?
My gravel bike is my year round ride. I've got huge tires (27.5x1.9) ride lots of gravel and do the plowed pathways in the winter.

If I had more $$, I'd get a winter specific ride with fenders, etc.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #3865
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Hack&Lube, which way are you coming up from? There are a few bridges and underpasses crossing Stoney Trail that link up with the Mattamy Trail. Going north on 14th St NE from Country Hills might work for you.
That's way out of the way for where he's going, but it is certainly an alternative.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 03:27 PM   #3866
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
That's way out of the way for where he's going, but it is certainly an alternative.

It doesn’t seem that bad. Go up Nose Creek to CHB, go a bit east and then north along 14th and 15th then west into Livingstone after going under Stoney.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 04:42 PM   #3867
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I ride my gravel bike year round and am able to swap almost any 700/29er wheelset on up to about 2.2”. In the winter I used to run Hakkas and now use the Gravdal fully studded tire. I think it’s 43mm?? It’s bulletproof (and costs accordingly). There are narrower tires but I highly recommend you try to match your intended winter tire to be usable on your frame. Also go with studs on BOTH the center tread and sides, not one or the other, particularly for the front tire. I ride from either bottom Home Road or far NW (think Crowfoot area) depending on amount of snow and temp - it’s usually snow depth that governs the limitations.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #3868
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
I'm just getting into downhill MB and ready to buy my first bike. Looking for a bit of everything - from visiting Whistler and other mountains a few times a year to riding up and down local trails.

I realize the market is really tight so not sure if I should wait a bit or just pull the trigger? Looking for recommendations at or below $5k. I'm new and inexperienced so I don't need top of the line or super fancy.

Thanks in advance
If you’re doing DH then you also must seriously consider your gear budget - and in particular your full face helmet and wrist/spine guards. No joke.

Also… your skills do take a bit of time to develop. Give it time and respect cos it’s too easy to get in over your head with todays DH rigs.

You can also look at the used market (which is inflated right now) or mail order such as via Chain Reaction or Canyon. For this fall consider renting a few bikes to try them out. If you’re spending $5k then spending only $2-300 renting could be money well spent to get you on the right bike for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 07:25 AM   #3869
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
If you’re doing DH then you also must seriously consider your gear budget - and in particular your full face helmet and wrist/spine guards. No joke.

Also… your skills do take a bit of time to develop. Give it time and respect cos it’s too easy to get in over your head with todays DH rigs.

You can also look at the used market (which is inflated right now) or mail order such as via Chain Reaction or Canyon. For this fall consider renting a few bikes to try them out. If you’re spending $5k then spending only $2-300 renting could be money well spent to get you on the right bike for you.
Definitely will be getting the full assortment of protective gear and renting something local and giving it a whirl is a good idea.

Speaking of skills, are there local MB camps that people would recommend? I know Winsport and UofC offer programs but not sure what the reviews are like.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #3870
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kcin - if you get looking at used DH or enduro type bikes take your time and look at any potential purchase carefully.

Some of these rigs are ridden pretty hard and I be very closely looking at the frame and the suspension to Mae sure both are in good and safe condition.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:10 PM   #3871
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw someone riding one of the half bikes today, https://halfbikes.com/shop/halfbike, and it looked really bizarre but interesting. It seems like it would be really awkward to ride.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 09:12 PM   #3872
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ridden the Chief Mountain Highway near Waterton? It sounds like the border crossing is still closed, so it must not have much vehicle traffic? I vaguely recall this may have been discussed here early on in the pandemic...any tips?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:04 AM   #3873
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It doesn’t seem that bad. Go up Nose Creek to CHB, go a bit east and then north along 14th and 15th then west into Livingstone after going under Stoney.
A bunch of that is gravel as well.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:29 AM   #3874
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Just to make you weight weenies cringe.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2022, 09:21 AM   #3875
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine a gentle downhill grade on that...let alone something steep!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:44 PM   #3876
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over the past few days my brake pads have been squealing, so I swapped them out.

Always blows my mind at how much different the brakes feel with new pads.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:57 AM   #3877
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I am just getting my winter bike prepped and also swapped out my brake pads. However unfortunately there was no difference; you still have to "plan" your stops.

Trying to decide if it's worth taking it in to have them look at it. The bike was a free CCM type.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #3878
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, if you ride that rig in the winter how often will you get up to full speed and if you need to bail, the snow banks are your friend….

Last edited by Northendzone; 09-06-2022 at 09:15 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #3879
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gravel bike shifting somewhat grumpily and sometimes randomly... suffer through the winter and then fresh cables/housings in the spring or just get 'er done now? Haven't changed cables/housings in about 3yrs so figure I'm doing pretty good (year round cyclist, probably 3-4k/yr on this bike)
Old 09-08-2022, 08:51 PM   #3880
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d change them now and I’d also look at what kind of shape the chain and cassette is in.