Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Electric Daisy Carnival

Well since there's a Coachella thread I figured I'd make one for EDC as I believe there are a few people on here who are into EDM.

For those of you that don't know what EDC is... here's a little taster:

This years line up so far...

What do you guys think about the lineup? To be honest, I'm a little disappointed. There's still a lot of big names missing. It's definitely weaker then Ultra was this year which is kind of a bummer. I'm still unbelievably stoked to go and I can't wait to see a lot of those acts.

Last edited by polak; 05-02-2013 at 10:14 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 21 year-old in me is saying "Tits, drugs, booze, Vegas! FANTASTIC!" The 26 year-old me in me is saying "God damn kids and their crappy electronic music."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still a pretty good lineup. I would go to see Gareth Emery, Cosmic Gate and Dash Berlin alone.

Have fun Polak. Extremely jealous!
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It has Dada Life which Ultra didn't have.....that's a win right there.

I see a lot of big names and wouldn't be at all disappointed if I was going.

With the sets Hardwell has been doing lately, he would be at the top of my must see list.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The 21 year-old in me is saying "Tits, drugs, booze, Vegas! FANTASTIC!" The 26 year-old me in me is saying "God damn kids and their crappy electronic music."
So did it hurt when you started to grow a vagina in that time frame?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The any-year-old in me is saying "Vegas heat in the dead of summer at an outdoor concert? Fata no".
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Disappointed is a strong word. The only thing I'm really truely choked about is Alesso not being in the lineup. He was by far the person I wanted to see the most. His set at Ultra still gives me shivers.

Now that he's not there, Hardwell is definitely tops on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
The any-year-old in me is saying "Vegas heat in the dead of summer at an outdoor concert? Fata no".
It's from dusk until dawn (I think it's 6 pm-6 am). Literally an all night affair so the heat shouldn't be too bad. It's also at the race track which is closer to the desert (it's right on the edge if I remember correctly) so it's a lot cooler than the strip.

I just hope wind isn't an issue again like last year. They moved it to a different weekend because of that.

I love that it's all night. So much better then getting ****ed up and looking at your watch and seeing that it's 3 pm. Party at night, sleep all day, rinse, repeat.

Last edited by polak; 05-02-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

The any-year-old in me is saying "That's ALOT of solid sets in three days".

Wish I was going.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #9
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
It's from dusk until dawn (I think it's 6 pm-6 am). Literally an all night affair so the heat shouldn't be too bad. It's also at the race track which is closer to the desert (it's right on the edge if I remember correctly) so it's a lot cooler than the strip.
Yeah, was just about to say I've been on the strip in the wee hours of the morning and it still cooks.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
So did it hurt when you started to grow a vagina in that time frame?

The one thing I've noticed as I've gotten older is that I don't have to spend nearly as much money and time on stuff I don't really like when I want to get drunk and/or laid. It's been liberating.

This still looks like it'd be a good time if I was already planning on being in Vegas the same weekend and someone scored me tickets. I just can't see myself forking out the cash for it.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm planning on this being one last, "tits, drugs, booze, vegas!" blow out. Definitely starting to calm down a bit with the partying.

I need to get my life in gear after summer.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PRYDZ!!!!! Great lineup this year.

I have a couple friends that head down every year and they love it. One of these years I'll join them. Looks like an awesome time.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #13
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it's just too much EDM. I love me some EDM, especially live, but I couldn't handle a full weekend even with the mass variation in styles. I like that I can go to something like Lolla or Made in America and catch a Bassnectar set right after a Miike Snow set, the diversity keeps me going. That said, I'll probably try to catch a day of Electric Zoo this year and would likely do the whole weekend if it didn't conflict with Made.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I agree, I was hoping for a little more "surprises" with the line up. La Roux and Empire of the Sun will probably be live acts.

Would've been awesome if they could get someone like Kraftwerk or Depache Mode but whatever. It'll be a blast.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just my opinion, but those large massive edm festivals in America are the worst thing to happen to EDM in years. After witnessing how UMF has turned out the last couple years (all underage candy kids, irresponsible drug use, jailbait everwhere), I just don't have it in me anymore to party at these huge american dance festivals anymore. I still love the music and dj everyday, but this ''confetti vip'' as some call it, has totally ruined the party scene for me.

I go to these events for the music and the skill of the djs. Now it has become about young kids wanting to be ''seen'' and dancing to the crappiest of music (SHM prerecorded sets, Avicci, etc). Pump some mainstream dance tracks and these kids act like its the greatest thing they have ever heard. The vibe from when I first went to Ultra 7 years ago vs now is completely different. I've even heard from other friends who have gone to EDC in the past at just how different it is now.

I'm going to Sensation in Toronto next month, which will have a much more mature, underground euro vibe to it then events like EDC and UMF have now and I'm reaaaaalllly looking forward to it more so then I have any other event in the past.

That's just my opinion. I love the music with all my heart, but EDM right now really doesn't know what direction it's headed to. Unfortunately, it seems to be headed in that "confetti vip, hands in the air" direction, in America at least. Don't get me wrong, I love that the scene is getting the exposure it deserves on this continent finally. But as I'm sure as Polak knows, its got a long ways to go before it even comes close to having the vibe it has over in Europe.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 05-02-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
This is just my opinion, but those large massive edm festivals in America are the worst thing to happen to EDM in years. After witnessing how UMF has turned out the last couple years (all underage candy kids, irresponsible drug use, jailbait everwhere), I just don't have it in me anymore to party at these huge american dance festivals anymore. I still love the music and dj everyday, but this ''confetti vip'' as some call it, has totally ruined the party scene for me.

I go to these events for the music and the skill of the djs. Now it has become about young kids wanting to be ''seen'' and dancing to the crappiest of music (SHM prerecorded sets, Avicci, etc). Pump some mainstream dance tracks and these kids act like its the greatest thing they have ever heard. The vibe from when I first went to Ultra 7 years ago vs now is completely different. I've even heard from other friends who have gone to EDC in the past at just how different it is now.

I'm going to Sensation in Toronto next month, which will have a much more mature, underground euro vibe to it then events like EDC and UMF have now and I'm reaaaaalllly looking forward to it more so then I have any other event in the past.

That's just my opinion. I love the music with all my heart, but EDM right now really doesn't know what direction it's headed to. Unfortunately, it seems to be headed in that "confetti vip, hands in the air" direction, in America at least. Don't get me wrong, I love that the scene is getting the exposure it deserves on this continent finally. But as I'm sure as Polak knows, its got a long ways to go before it even comes close to having the vibe it has over in Europe.
This is a great post that I totally agree with. For me I really started to notice it back when I was at edc in 2010. It was still in LA at USC stadium. I feel as though that show/weekend was the tipping point, or at least that summer was.

The music is still great, however there just seems to be a ridiculous amount of trust fund dbag kids ruining the shows now a days

Then again, I'm getting rally old and it might just be my age coming through....
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well said, Huntingwhale. Couldn't agree more.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
This is a great post that I totally agree with. For me I really started to notice it back when I was at edc in 2010. It was still in LA at USC stadium. I feel as though that show/weekend was the tipping point, or at least that summer was.

The music is still great, however there just seems to be a ridiculous amount of trust fund dbag kids ruining the shows now a days

Then again, I'm getting rally old and it might just be my age coming through....
For me it started when the SHM started touring and fans started flocking to them and they self-anointed themselves as the party kings. Watch their documentary if you want to see a bunch of ######s who are in it solely for the money and don't give a rats ass about the fans. It will change your entire view on how some of these ''superstar djs'' present themselves. It's funny because individually (Angello, Ingrosso, Axwell) they are awesome to watch. But combine them together and it's like watching a bunch of spoiled rich kids act like ######s and its even sadder that people flock to them.

I read an article a while ago about how Erick Morrillo's contract at Pacha in Ibiza wasn't renewed because of the outrageous prices he demanded. While I dont' have an issue with djs making as much money as possible, what saddens me is that money was never the most important thing about EDM, the music was. And that's what seperated it from rock/hip hop acts and kept it more underground. Most djs are happy to spin at a small, underground party with a couple hundred people and it ends up being the best night ever. Now, you get djs who don't tour at certain cities because clubs don't want to pay their outrageous prices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/ar...anted=all&_r=0

I'm glad those owners stood up for what they believe in. To me, EDM and dj'ing will always be about the music and getting the chance to see djs who are talented and sick behind the decks. When was the last time you went to a dj show and people around you mentioned how awesome the djs skills were, or how good that mix was? Hell when was the last time you even heard a dj scratch? I can honestly say that Judge Jules is the last dj that I saw in calgary who actually scratched and did actual dj ''tricks'' during a show. People go now to see/hear the productions they create, not for their dj'ing skills. Even some of the top guys (Gareth Emery, Avicci, Afrojack) suck at mixing, but its all about their own productions now that make the crowd go wild. Just by looking at the lineup I know that A-trax and Umek will be the most talented guys there. Umek regularly spins with 4 decks at one which takes a lot of skill to pull of properly, and A-trax plays a lot like an old school dj would; lots of scratching, looping and crazy things you won't hear any other djs do.

EDC this year looks like a great lineup. But after being disappointed by UMF this year, I think I'm going to avoid large American festivals for the next while.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 05-03-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
For me it started when the SHM started touring and fans started flocking to them and they self-anointed themselves as the party kings. Watch their documentary if you want to see a bunch of ######s who are in it solely for the money and don't give a rats ass about the fans. It will change your entire view on how some of these ''superstar djs'' present themselves. It's funny because individually (Angello, Ingrosso, Axwell) they are awesome to watch. But combine them together and it's like watching a bunch of spoiled rich kids act like ######s and its even sadder that people flock to them.

I read an article a while ago about how Erick Morrillo's contract at Pacha in Ibiza wasn't renewed because of the outrageous prices he demanded. While I dont' have an issue with djs making as much money as possible, what saddens me is that money was never the most important thing about EDM, the music was. And that's what seperated it from rock/hip hop acts and kept it more underground. Most djs are happy to spin at a small, underground party with a couple hundred people and it ends up being the best night ever. Now, you get djs who don't tour at certain cities because clubs don't want to pay their outrageous prices.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/ar...anted=all&_r=0

I'm glad those owners stood up for what they believe in. To me, EDM and dj'ing will always be about the music and getting the chance to see djs who are talented and sick behind the decks. When was the last time you went to a dj show and people around you mentioned how awesome the djs skills were, or how good that mix was? Hell when was the last time you even heard a dj scratch? I can honestly say that Judge Jules is the last dj that I saw in calgary who actually scratched and did actual dj ''tricks'' during a show. People go now to see/hear the productions they create, not for their dj'ing skills. Even some of the top guys (Gareth Emery, Avicci, Afrojack) suck at mixing, but its all about their own productions now that make the crowd go wild. Just by looking at the lineup I know that A-trax and Umek will be the most talented guys there. Umek regularly spins with 4 decks at one which takes a lot of skill to pull of properly, and A-trax plays a lot like an old school dj would; lots of scratching, looping and crazy things you won't hear any other djs do.

EDC this year looks like a great lineup. But after being disappointed by UMF this year, I think I'm going to avoid large American festivals for the next while.
What, making outrageous amounts of money?

Quote:
Pacha Ibiza, with a capacity of about 3,000, grossed more than 30 million euros (about $40 million) last summer, compared with 7 million euros in 1999, Mr. Whittle said. Pacha paid some acts more than 100,000 euros (roughly $130,000) a night, he said, but all of those D.J.’s generated three times that amount in revenue for the club.
Don't kid yourselves, the promoters aren't the good guys here. They're changing the model because they don't want to pay the expenses and are banking on people continuing to show up. We'll see if that works out, but I don't buy the 'getting back the Ibiza of the 70's' excuse. This is about the bottom line.

Last edited by valo403; 05-03-2013 at 11:51 AM.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seeing Swedish House Mafia last year was mental. One of the craziest shows I have ever seen. Personally, I prefer being in a field with 50,000 other people going nuts and watching a massive elaborate show with pyrotechnics/fireworks/lazers/video screens than being in a basement with a couple hundred people watching someone spin records....but that's just me.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote