Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #41
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
No, it's clear. You prefer to keep Brodie for all of 2019-2020. He then becomes UFA.

I prefer to trade him now, for whatever the best offer out there is. IMO probably no more than a 2nd and change.

Wrong again.

I, as many other, prefer to trade Brodie this offseason, for something that makes sense. If no offer makes sense, then hold onto him for the season. Not to trade him away for the sake of opening up a roster spot.

Is that clearer?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #42
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Wrong again.

I, as many other, prefer to trade Brodie this offseason, for something that makes sense. If no offer makes sense, then hold onto him for the season. Not to trade him away for the sake of opening up a roster spot.

Is that clearer?
Not really, because you said you would rather keep Brodie than give him away for less than his value. But the most Treliving can get for him is his value. He's not going to have any value after the trade deadline. Maybe a 5th if someone wants his rights before UFA like the Hayes to PHI deal.

The variable I'll give you is will the Flames be buyers or sellers at the deadline. If the Flames are sellers, sure his return could be higher then.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #43
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it makes some sense to hold onto Neal for now. I doubt he'll be any worse than last year.

But for Brodie, I think it makes a lot more sense to trade him during him during this off-season. For the most part, the earlier you trade him, the more value he'll have.
They'll need to lose someone eventually because of the expansion draft. Plus Brodie is a UFA after next season.

The Flames need to acquire a goaltender, and they might need some cap space to do this. If there's one takeaway from the playoffs, it's that a goaltending is very important (and this is obvious).

I could see the Flames trading Stone (1 million retained) or Frolik, but Brodie probably has the most value. Hamonic doesn't make much sense. This Braun deal probably helps Brodie's value. The UFA market for defensemen is becoming more shallow. I think Brodie had more points than all of them.

And based on the rumors, it does seem like the Flames are actively testing the market for Brodie. So they probably agree.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #44
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
No, it's clear. You prefer to keep Brodie for all of 2019-2020. He then becomes UFA.

I prefer to trade him now, for whatever the best offer out there is. IMO probably no more than a 2nd and change.
This suggests you’d trade him for a 7th, if that was the best offer, which is why people are taking issue. It’s bad asset management, barely different than letting him walk as a UFA.

The difference being, of course, that by not selling Brodie for “whatever” this off season, you get a season of Brodie playing on your team which has a lot of value.

Brodie is a good player, but a player we can likely replace from within. IF you trade him, you need to get at least close to a subject equivalent of value back than if you kept him for the season. Don’t sell him for less than the value of a top 4 D man on a good contract. If that’s your only option, then don’t sell him.

Simple.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #45
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not really, because you said you would rather keep Brodie than give him away for less than his value. But the most Treliving can get for him is his value. He's not going to have any value after the trade deadline. Maybe a 5th if someone wants his rights before UFA like the Hayes to PHI deal.

The variable I'll give you is will the Flames be buyers or sellers at the deadline. If the Flames are sellers, sure his return could be higher then.
Nobody is talking about the trade deadline except you.

You suggested that Brodie should be traded for "whatever Treliving can get". Which equals trading him for the sake of trading him, just to open up a roster spot.

I suggested that if the "right offer" isn't on the table. You don't trade him.

For example, If Treliving was offered a 3rd for Brodie, according to your logic, he should take it.

I believe that have Brodie for one full season has more value than a 3rd round pick.

12 percent of 3rd round picks play in the NHL. To me, 82 games of Brodie as a #2 defenceman have more value than a player with a 12 percent chance of making the NHL.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #46
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This suggests you’d trade him for a 7th, if that was the best offer, which is why people are taking issue. It’s bad asset management, barely different than letting him walk as a UFA.

The difference being, of course, that by not selling Brodie for “whatever” this off season, you get a season of Brodie playing on your team which has a lot of value.

Brodie is a good player, but a player we can likely replace from within. IF you trade him, you need to get at least close to a subject equivalent of value back than if you kept him for the season. Don’t sell him for less than the value of a top 4 D man on a good contract. If that’s your only option, then don’t sell him.

Simple.
A 7th only isn't realistic but if that was the only offer on the table today after
talking to all 30 teams then there's no harm in waiting it out through to the end of training camp.

My preferred D roster for 2019-2020 doesn't include Brodie.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #47
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Nobody is talking about the trade deadline except you.

You suggested that Brodie should be traded for "whatever Treliving can get". Which equals trading him for the sake of trading him, just to open up a roster spot.

I suggested that if the "right offer" isn't on the table. You don't trade him.

For example, If Treliving was offered a 3rd for Brodie, according to your logic, he should take it.

I believe that have Brodie for one full season has more value than a 3rd round pick.

12 percent of 3rd round picks play in the NHL. To me, 82 games of Brodie as a #2 defenceman have more value than a player with a 12 percent chance of making the NHL.
Which is bizarre. How aren't you considering trade deadline value in regards to a future UFA that isn't likely in the teams long term plans?

Yes I suggest Brodie should be traded for the best offer after exploring all markets this summer.

If that's the most offered for Brodie between now and day one of the regular season then yes, I take the 3rd.

We should have taken that 2nd for Cammalleri.

If Brodie on the roster for the whole year is worth more than a 3rd in your opinion is just that, an opinion. Just as mine is.