Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #2561
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Play suspended again in London due to rain. At this point players like Felix, Dmitrov may be looking at 2 matches in one day tomorrow should they not be able to resume.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #2562
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On another note, I must say it's quite disappointing that Nadal, Djokovic and Thiem are skipping the entire grass season except for Wimbledon this year. We as fans suffer and slog through the never-ending clay season and only get to see these three play one event on grass again (at least Thiem and Djokovic typically do try to play a tune up)?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #2563
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
On another note, I must say it's quite disappointing that Nadal, Djokovic and Thiem are skipping the entire grass season except for Wimbledon this year. We as fans suffer and slog through the never-ending clay season and only get to see these three play one event on grass again (at least Thiem and Djokovic typically do try to play a tune up)?
Grass is too close to the end of the clay season it would be unrealistic to expect a 33 year old Nadal to play 4 warm up clay tournaments and the French Open and then a warm up grass tournament plus Wimbledon all in the span of what 8 weeks? Additionally he is coming off two injuries in the span of a year.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #2564
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they should move Wimbledon back 2 weeks, & give us a grass ATP 1000 event before Wimbledon. I agree I would love to see Nadal play more grass but I doubt he ever plays on grass outside Wimbledon again given how close it is to clay.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #2565
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Grass is too close to the end of the clay season it would be unrealistic to expect a 33 year old Nadal to play 4 warm up clay tournaments and the French Open and then a warm up grass tournament plus Wimbledon all in the span of what 8 weeks? Additionally he is coming off two injuries in the span of a year.
Nadal, Theim and Novak were all able to play 4-5 events over the course of 8 weeks of the clay season so i'm not convinced it's a big ask for them to add one additional event here.This is not a heavy load at all and the events this week are now 10 days after the French open. Plenty of rest there.

It's one thing if they're all actually nursing injury, but this is basically just disinterest, which sucks for fans as it would be much more entertaining to see some of the better grass players going up against the big 3/4 players on tour. If a 38 year old Federrer can handle it, I have a hard time believing these guys can't.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-19-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #2566
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nadal, Theim and Novak were all able to play 4-5 events over the course of 8 weeks of the clay season so i'm not convinced it's a big ask for them to add one additional event here.This is not a heavy load at all and the events this week are now 10 days after the French open. Plenty of rest there.

It's one thing if they're all actually nursing injury, but this is basically just disinterest, which sucks for fans as it would be much more entertaining to see some of the better grass players going up against the big 3/4 players on tour. If a 38 year old Federrer can handle it, I have a hard time believing these guys can't.
Yes it would be better for fans to see the best players at every tournament but the tennis schedule is already so packed. For Nadal what benefit does he get by playing in a 500 event instead of staying at home and training there on grass. Why risk injury for an event he is not favored to win, his focus for the rest of this year should be on the US Open where he has a chance to win a title there.

And to be fair, Federer the last couple of years has taken the clay court season off, even this year he only played in 2 lead up tournaments (withdrawing from one) and the French Open.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #2567
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on, poor Del Potro man has the worst luck! Injured his right knee again and has withdrawn
Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #2568
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Come on, poor Del Potro man has the worst luck! Injured his right knee again and has withdrawn
I was watching that match this morning, he slipped on the lush grass as he was running to hit a short ball from Shapo and he jammed his knee. Not sure if this is the same knee that he fractured in Shanghai late last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #2569
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yes it would be better for fans to see the best players at every tournament but the tennis schedule is already so packed. For Nadal what benefit does he get by playing in a 500 event instead of staying at home and training there on grass. Why risk injury for an event he is not favored to win, his focus for the rest of this year should be on the US Open where he has a chance to win a title there.

And to be fair, Federer the last couple of years has taken the clay court season off, even this year he only played in 2 lead up tournaments (withdrawing from one) and the French Open.

You could say the same about any of these guys playing a random 500 event during the year. Why play at all if it isn't a grand slam then? I'll certainly cut Nadal and Djokovic more slack in term of their schedule if they're still playing when they're 38 like Roger.

Nadal and Djokovic used to play at least one grass tune-up event regularly. On Nadal's part, I'd say he's had much more success at Wimbledon when he does so vs doesn't.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #2570
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You could say the same about any of these guys playing a random 500 event during the year. Why play at all if it isn't a grand slam then? I'll certainly cut Nadal and Djokovic more slack in term of their schedule if they're still playing when they're 38 like Roger.

Nadal and Djokovic used to play at least one grass tune-up event regularly. On Nadal's part, I'd say he's had much more success at Wimbledon when he does so vs doesn't.
To be honest I don't have high hopes for Nadal at Wimbledon anymore. If he goes far that's great but I think with his knees and age he isn't the same player at Wimbledon as he once was. I think he just wants to get through this event injury free and move onto North American hard court . I agree I think it would be beneficial for him and us fans to play but at this point in his career it's not going to happen sadly.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #2571
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1141050389275578368

This is glorious, Krygios actually comes off here as likable!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #2572
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is indeed the same knee that Delpo hurt in Shanghai.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1141499366970183681

Last edited by dash_pinched; 06-19-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #2573
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix and Dimitrov are warming up as the weather is finally cooperating to get this opening round match played. TSN3 if you're close to a tv.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #2574
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

All right, Felix takes the opening set 6-4. That was a great set of tennis from both players, Felix managed to get the one break of serve that ended up being the difference.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #2575
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Felix follows it up with a break to start set 2. Nice.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #2576
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

woot, Felix prevails in straight sets 6-4 6-4. Quite the professional display of tennis from the young man in that match against Dimitrov. He is slated to play doubles with De Minaur, but I have a feeling that he will pull out as he will have to play another singles match later today.

Edit: Felix will face Nick Kyrgios later today, get your popcorn ready.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 06-20-2019 at 07:52 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #2577
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Milos is on court now versus Bedene and is up an early break serving at 2-love

Edit: Milos takes the opneing set 6-3 looking cool, calm, and composed. Bedene is making some great shots out there, but difficult to make inroads as the missile is firing on all cylinders today.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 06-20-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #2578
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Delpo broke his patella again at what point does he just say you know what I had a great career I can't take all these injuries and retires. All the best Delpo

https://twitter.com/user/status/1141691676689412096
Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #2579
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bedene is not going away as he is up a break in set 2.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #2580
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Delpo broke his patella again at what point does he just say you know what I had a great career I can't take all these injuries and retires. All the best Delpo

https://twitter.com/user/status/1141691676689412096
It really is such a shame (in a lot of ways similar to Milos) as injuries have derailed Delpo's career and impacted his overall success. He does have the one grand slam title, but you wonder how many more he could have won.
Closed Thread