Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Jets 2 Flames 1 (SO)

Jets 2 Flames 1 (SO)

- Flames lucky to find a point in this one
- Top line has a rough night
- Mike Smith was at his best
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jets 2 Flames 1 (SO)

Very accurate depiction of the game.

Tough to win when the top players are that inconsequential, to put it mildly.

Smith continues to be a fabulous acquisition and positive difference maker.

Your analysis of disallowed goal was right on.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #3
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Smith showed up, Ferland physical, Jankowski is going to be a force one day.

I don't understand why we have moments where we think floating around not hitting, creating havoc in front of the net is acceptable.

Why does this team just want to be a counterpuncher when we can throw knockout punches and just keep swinging trying for the KO.......this team has no heart or fire.

Dave Cameron pack your bags.....something needs to happen even though we have points in the last bunch of games.

Let's get back on track.....to quote Boudreau.....we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves when bad stuff happens. If you want it go out and get it. Yeah they disallowed a goal but I didn't see the team continue to push that hard for more than 3 shifts afterwards. If you want to win you cannot take off portions of the game and still expect to win.

It's like we expected to win overtime without actually putting in the time and efforts required to win.

Last edited by EVERLAST; 01-20-2018 at 05:56 PM.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Brouwer goal should have counted. Oh well, these things balance out in the long run.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Maybe we should take a page from the Oilers and hire Gary Suter to run our powerplay!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a playoff feel to it. The refs let a lot go and the Flames played big.

Ferland was a beast. He was over-matched going against Byfuglien but took it out against the rest of the Jets.

Brodie (and Ehlers) are fortunate that Ehlers shook off the elbow head shot or the league might be looking at Brodie today.

In the disallowed goal review I don't think that it was so much goalie interference as much as it was just a simple interference penalty on Tkachuk. He was running the Jets d-man that wasn't close to the puck. Replay doesn't call penalties?

The Flames need to get bigger for the playoffs.. The toughest Flame d-man (Gio) got pancaked by Armia.. who is not an overly aggressive player.

Would it hurt the Flames to dress Lomborg and Camarossa and Gadzic rather than anyone on the 4th line (Stajan, Magnipane, Lazar)?

Hamilton 8 shots on goal.... I was surprised at the number which would on its own indicate that he was pretty dominate... but watching the game was not that noticeable.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Maybe we should take a page from the Oilers and hire Gary Suter to run our powerplay!

Hadn't heard that .....Paul Coffey I've heard about.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Would it hurt the Flames to dress Lomborg and Camarossa and Gadzic rather than anyone on the 4th line (Stajan, Magnipane, Lazar)?
Just say no to any slow moving fourth liners.

I don't mind players with jam if they can skate and know where to be, but the Gadzic NHL is well behind us.

I'll never forget that Hartley team with Westgarth and Ern getting stuck in their own every shift.

Shivers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good write up.

I felt the disallowed goal was a sucky call but not necessarily a "bad" call. Tkachuk did push the defenseman into Hellebuyck, and he was driving the net and not fighting for position so it was pretty clear to me before they even challenged it was going to be an iffy goal. Did it interfere with his ability to make the save on the goal? I don't know about that part, I thought that was much more of a judgement call. It probably goes either way depending on who is reviewing and I know if it was allowed against the Flames I'd be bitter about it.

Tough break, but not the difference in the game. The rust, on both sides, was really evident and the fact it went to a shootout seemed a fair ending for both teams. Win streak is over, but point streak is very much alive. I just hope they can regain some swagger before the Oilers game.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Jets 2 Flames 1 (SO)

Yes and no... Brouwer goal should have counted but we were outplayed for long stretches.
Mangi is being mis managed just like Byron was on the fourth line. Teams don't bring up small skilled players and plunk them on the fourth line unless the team is consistently winning with its current line up. Put him in a position to succeed.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Why is it that I have this sinking feeling that if GG was calling the shots in Johnny's rookie year that he would have placed him on the fourth line. Mangi has gone 8 NHL games without a point and it will be weighing on him so throw him a bone and give him an offensive role.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #12
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ferland was a beast. He was over-matched going against Byfuglien but took it out against the rest of the Jets.

Brodie (and Ehlers) are fortunate that Ehlers shook off the elbow head shot or the league might be looking at Brodie today.

In the disallowed goal review I don't think that it was so much goalie interference as much as it was just a simple interference penalty on Tkachuk. He was running the Jets d-man that wasn't close to the puck. Replay doesn't call penalties?

The Flames need to get bigger for the playoffs.. The toughest Flame d-man (Gio) got pancaked by Armia.. who is not an overly aggressive player.

Hamilton 8 shots on goal.... I was surprised at the number which would on its own indicate that he was pretty dominate... but watching the game was not that noticeable.
Not even close. Brodie's elbow never left his side. All he did was take (good) body position on Ehlers. Ehlers bent forward and his head lined up with Brodie's elbow pad. And elbow pads are hard.

But there was no elbow there in any way, shape or form.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just say no to any slow moving fourth liners.

I don't mind players with jam if they can skate and know where to be, but the Gadzic NHL is well behind us.

I'll never forget that Hartley team with Westgarth and Ern getting stuck in their own every shift.

Shivers.
Lomberg and Cramarossa can both skate and have decent puck skills. Wouldn't be shocked to see both guys in the lineup if the Flames end up in a playoff series against a big team like the Ducks.

For now, I'm just hoping to see a fourth line of Frolik-Hrivik-Lazar. I think that has the makings of a very good fourth line with size, speed and some offensive potential. Hrivik is a bit of a poor man's Backlund, Frolik seems to make every line he plays on better and Lazar is really starting to play well.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #14
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
Teams don't bring up small skilled players and plunk them on the fourth line unless the team is consistently winning with its current line up. Put him in a position to succeed.
Isn't that exactly Mangiapane's situation?

The team is 7-0-1 with him in the lineup, almost exclusively on the 4th except when he got to play on the 3rd vs Carolina.

Ideally I'd like to see Mangiapane-Hrivik-Lazar in the 4th even, but I think Mangiapane is doing well while adapting to the NHL.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #15
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Anybody but Cameron. How much time does he get to iron the wrinkles out?
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #16
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Win streak is over, but point streak is very much alive. I just hope they can regain some swagger before the Oilers game.

Me too. I've had that game circled on my calendar since the 7-5 debacle. If we lose that one and give up another 2 points to those clowns...ugh, I don't even want to think about it.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #17
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I actual saw it different. The defensemen was skating backwards into Tkchuck to keep him away from the play at the crease. He was hunched over and Matty was keeping from going over top of him. That's my look at the time, but maybe I'm wrong. It just seemed like Matt was doing his best to not take an interference call in that situation, and that he very well could have played the bump harder, or used that free hand on the defenseman more (not legally, of course). Just saying, I think he was trying to stay in the right side if the line.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Lomberg and Cramarossa can both skate and have decent puck skills. Wouldn't be shocked to see both guys in the lineup if the Flames end up in a playoff series against a big team like the Ducks.

For now, I'm just hoping to see a fourth line of Frolik-Hrivik-Lazar. I think that has the makings of a very good fourth line with size, speed and some offensive potential. Hrivik is a bit of a poor man's Backlund, Frolik seems to make every line he plays on better and Lazar is really starting to play well.
What possibility is there of a non-bigger team being matched up against the Flames?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What possibility is there of a non-bigger team being matched up against the Flames?
Non bigger???

It’s 2018.

Skill, speed and compete trump size these days.

Checked the Flames road record?

Last edited by timbit; 01-22-2018 at 10:06 AM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #20
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes and no... Brouwer goal should have counted but we were outplayed for long stretches.
Mangi is being mis managed just like Byron was on the fourth line. Teams don't bring up small skilled players and plunk them on the fourth line unless the team is consistently winning with its current line up. Put him in a position to succeed.
Quote:
Why is it that I have this sinking feeling that if GG was calling the shots in Johnny's rookie year that he would have placed him on the fourth line. Mangi has gone 8 NHL games without a point and it will be weighing on him so throw him a bone and give him an offensive role.

It's easy to say "move him off the fourth line" but that means displacing someone else. And if you say "Brouwer" that puts a smallish rookie on the main checking line, up against the top players from the other team.

You could arguably put him on the third line but do you really want to disrupt that line as it has taken form?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote