Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2022, 10:39 PM   #21
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well...a few things to celebrate today...a terrific Flames Season Opener "W"...and getting my stitches out and seeing my (still very swollen) ankle again. And getting the news that I can start to put "leg weight" on it and practice moving it...lightly. Ooof...it's tight. But hey...progress on the ankle and progress on the ice!

Good day!
Old 10-13-2022, 10:54 PM   #22
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great news! Let’s agree to successful baby steps all around!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #23
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pool exercise is a great way to help rehabilitate in the early stages of any injury you can't put full weight on. Any low impact exercise that doesn't cause pain will help you heal and restore mobility (for example light peddling on a stationary bike).

Don't try to push yourself too much while healing but also remember that you need to actively work on stretching and using all the tendons/muscles ect that have sat sedentary from the cast.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 09:59 PM   #24
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I was hit by a car while cycling 1.5 weeks ago and I'm left with a broken ankle with both sides fractured as well. I'm just ensuring I wear the boot as much as possible and then I'm sourcing a lightweight wheelchair so I can roll around. They haven't determined if surgery is required yet as they want to try to heal the fibula side first.

For home I just roll around on an office chair since most of it is hardwood, even to the kitchen, etc.

I agree with you, crutches are painful and hard to use on your armpits and joints.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:43 AM   #25
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I was hit by a car while cycling 1.5 weeks ago and I'm left with a broken ankle with both sides fractured as well. I'm just ensuring I wear the boot as much as possible and then I'm sourcing a lightweight wheelchair so I can roll around. They haven't determined if surgery is required yet as they want to try to heal the fibula side first.

For home I just roll around on an office chair since most of it is hardwood, even to the kitchen, etc.

I agree with you, crutches are painful and hard to use on your armpits and joints.
Ugh - how awful! At least mine was my own carelessness....

I had surgery pretty fast (3 days later) here in BC so was pretty happy for that. Wore the boot ALL the time for the first two weeks, even sleeping. I just wanted to know that I *could* take it off even though I didn't actually do so (LOL - the ability to control pain increases tolerance!).

Now able to put leg weight down, but I have to admit I'm extremely nervous about taking "steps" at this point. Will have to develop some confidence in my ability "not to fall"...

Wish you all the best and hopefully a speedy and successful full recovery!

Last edited by taxbuster; 10-15-2022 at 12:19 PM.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #26
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

One more update!

Yesterday was my 72nd b'day and, although the Flames lost yet again (groan!), I saw my Orthopod and he said....quit using the knee scooter, quit using the Aircast boot and....just find a large comfy shoe and walk...use a cane or crutch if necessary...but walk! The bone is strong and now just needs work.

Great birthday present! Went out to Marks and bought a size 11 pair of boots (normally I'm a 9) to accommodate my still rather swollen foot. Someone will get a freebie I'd guess in some few months.

Just wanted to say a word of thanks to all in this thread for suggestions and thoughts...they've been greatly helpful on my road to recovery!
Old 11-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want a pair of ridiculously comfy shoes, go grab a pair of these:

https://www.sourceboards.com/collect...-black-night-1

The tongue is attached to the rest of the shoe, so it is more of a big slipper. They are super easy to get on and off, but have lots of padding. Probably work well for you.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #28
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy belated Birthday! Must feel great to finally be able to put weight on it again.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 08:04 PM   #29
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
One more update!

Yesterday was my 72nd b'day and, although the Flames lost yet again (groan!), I saw my Orthopod and he said....quit using the knee scooter, quit using the Aircast boot and....just find a large comfy shoe and walk...use a cane or crutch if necessary...but walk! The bone is strong and now just needs work.

Great birthday present! Went out to Marks and bought a size 11 pair of boots (normally I'm a 9) to accommodate my still rather swollen foot. Someone will get a freebie I'd guess in some few months.

Just wanted to say a word of thanks to all in this thread for suggestions and thoughts...they've been greatly helpful on my road to recovery!
I'm not sure where you are getting treated but am I ever impressed with the Bone and Joint Clinic at the South Health Campus.

Service is fast, x-rays are fast, diagnostics and doctor coming over to check and explain your next steps are fast.

It's been 1 month since the hit & run and I've been using the aircast and just trying to walk with it as much as possible. When I need to go to work or go long distances I just bought a wheelchair and it's been super fun to wheel around downtown indoors.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:40 PM   #30
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure where you are getting treated but am I ever impressed with the Bone and Joint Clinic at the South Health Campus.

Service is fast, x-rays are fast, diagnostics and doctor coming over to check and explain your next steps are fast.

It's been 1 month since the hit & run and I've been using the aircast and just trying to walk with it as much as possible. When I need to go to work or go long distances I just bought a wheelchair and it's been super fun to wheel around downtown indoors.
I'm in the BC interior, so a somewhat different experience, but actually better than I'd expected. Had surgery 3 days after I broke it, so thought that was pretty decent. Didn't get ANY explanation of the Aircast when I left (but that's what google is for) and have since also looked up some physio exercises...found a GREAT set on the UK's NHS site.

I used a knee scooter for bopping around, which was quite fun as well!! Given that I live on a very rural acreage, it might have been less useful than your experience. Was briefly in Calgary, but mostly at my condo there so not a lot of movement.

But I can walk around now...a bit ungainly and I kind of bop back and forth so it looks somewhat funny...but it's independent movement!! I drove y'day for the first time in six weeks.....
Old 11-14-2022, 03:42 PM   #31
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Wow - I'm amazed you're allowed to walk with the Aircast - my Orthopod wanted me totally off my ankle for the first two weeks, then very limited walking with the Aircast around the house. After that though it's been full-tilt boogie walking! Six weeks of hell though.

Still really quite swollen, so ankle movement is "stiff" to say the least! Hardest things...bending over and going down stairs.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:55 PM   #32
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I've had surgery at that same clinic twice this year, and echo your opinion. It's always quick, calm, relaxed, and efficient. Super impressed, and well worth the trip from north Calgary.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote