Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2023, 01:21 PM   #141
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I mean, didn't he also tweet some crazy conspiracy COVID stuff too?
Yeah, he's a bit of a nutter, I don't see how that would be related though...?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 01:47 PM   #142
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just that I probably wouldn't put much on the tweet. Believe it when I see it?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 01:49 PM   #143
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still want to get a Steam Deck but I missed the last big sale. Probably wait till it's on sale again. The Lenovo Legion Go looks like an interesting alternative as well.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:54 PM   #144
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've waited this long might as well get something more powerful or wait for Steam Deck 2.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LockedOut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 06:03 PM   #145
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I still want to get a Steam Deck but I missed the last big sale. Probably wait till it's on sale again. The Lenovo Legion Go looks like an interesting alternative as well.
Steam Decks are back on sale for 20% off.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 04:09 PM   #146
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Legion Go Pre-Order is up, releases Oct 31st. Cool feature where the right joycon (you know what I mean) can turn into a desktop mouse for FPS games!

I might pick one up for fun or for a trip and give it a spin. Steam Deck was too limiting as my game library is no-longer Steam centric but Epic free games and Gamepass.

The model in Canada so far only seems to be 512GB, haven't seen the 1TB for pre-order. Lenovo also has Legion AR glasses that sound like they will be good.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 05:17 PM   #147
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Legion Go Pre-Order is up, releases Oct 31st. Cool feature where the right joycon (you know what I mean) can turn into a desktop mouse for FPS games!
Looks from the pictures like it can turn into a joystick for flight sims, etc., too.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:08 AM   #148
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Looks from the pictures like it can turn into a joystick for flight sims, etc., too.
No, it's just oriented that way.

The glasses might be cool. I just think this is arguably a bit too big and heavy... The Steam Deck is probably a touch too big; it just barely fits in a backpack water bottle pocket - and this is slightly taller, while not being as deep on the grips (which defeats the purpose of a large handheld because it makes it harder to hold, especially at 900g).

I'm also pretty skeptical about battery life on an 8.8 inch 2500x1600 screen. There's no need for that much resolution in a screen that small (much less 144hz) - 1080p max, IMO. Better off going with OLED than higher res... for me, the best version of this type of handheld will be the one that lasts for longer, not the one with higher specs.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:49 PM   #149
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
There's no need for that much resolution in a screen that small (much less 144hz) - 1080p max, IMO. Better off going with OLED than higher res... for me, the best version of this type of handheld will be the one that lasts for longer, not the one with higher specs.
Agreed. You could even argue with the Switch OLED that 720p on a portable system is all we really need. Might as well get better performance and battery on an awesome display. Many AAA games these days use dynamic resolution scaling that drops close to 900p in places (before upscaling to the target resolution), so why not have a native render resolution it can hold?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:27 PM   #150
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

For the Legion Go I'm surprised at the lack of pre-sale demo units being sent out to the major tech influencers (I cringe to use that word). So far, only Dave 2D seems to have had a personal hands on. LTT doesn't have a video on it. Its supposed to ship Oct 31st so its close to launch.
Old 10-11-2023, 10:32 AM   #151
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave's video (actually I think all of them) were with a pre-production sample that had a bunch of things not finished, also.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-16-2023, 09:04 AM   #152
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Took me a year, but I've finally realized that the steamdeck (or handhelds in general I guess) are the perfect devices for 1) metroidvanias and 2) jrpgs. I've been working my way through Hollow Knight and Blasphemous recently and prefer playing those on the deck versus my PC.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2023, 09:25 AM   #153
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have about 50 hours of collective flight travel in the next 2 months so I dove on an Ayaneo 2S. Should be here soonish, but I just couldn't buy any of the underpowered alternatives.

Will be installing a dual boot of ChimeraOS and Win 11 to get all fancy with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 01:37 PM   #154
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It looks like Lenovo Legion Go NDAs do not lift until Oct 24th so we will get a flurry of reviews and hands on with production hardware then.

Interestingly, Lenovo posted the user manuals online already and they include a full teardown and repair document.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:32 AM   #155
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre-ordered a Lenovo Legion Go as a "congrats on the new job" gift to myself. New job involves a decent amount of travel, so should come in handy for that.

I haven't really had a chance to test it out much, but it has a very premium feel and I find the Lenovo UI pretty decent. Windows 11 also runs well on it. My only complaint would be that, outside of the joycons, there's a lack of backlighting on the buttons that make them difficult to see.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #156
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Oh man, I remember Braid. Supposedly the anniversary edition is still coming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't think that one is going to happen.

I should add to the above that you can get Limbo and Inside in a bundle for under $4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Just that I probably wouldn't put much on the tweet. Believe it when I see it?
The game is in fact, still happening. Announced to release April 30, 2024 with a new trailer:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/9/2...e-date-trailer
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 11:34 AM   #157
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp, after saying they wouldn't do it, the Steam Deck OLED is announced...

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023

Available Nov 16. I'll be interested to see some comparisons... the problem they have is that even someone like me who loves his Deck and could 100% afford to just buy this one for the hell of it probably won't, just because my existing machine is perfectly good, runs everything I would want to play on a handheld and still has solid battery life. If you assume that the vast majority of the market for devices like these has already bought one, I don't know if this will cause a big bump in sales.

But then, people do like their handhelds, so maybe I'm wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 11:45 AM   #158
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So.....uhh.....anyone wanna buy a 512GB SteamDeck? Lol.

This new SteamDeck looks really great. Moving from LED to OLED was a game changer for me with PC gaming. I'm on board with buying the new one. The LE version would be cool to get but it seems like that'll be a long shot because of the limited availability.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 11:51 AM   #159
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I waited to get one so I think an OLED might be in my future. See how the finances are. Doubt it will go on sale anytime soon though.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:27 PM   #160
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a fair point that if I were to sell my existing 512GB for like $350 I would probably be willing to pay the $300 to upgrade to the OLED. So maybe that's what people will do.

Also, I have to say, this is exactly what they should have done and all that was needed. They could have upgraded the APU I guess, but the main thing was better screen, better battery. Not more power or higher refresh rate or resolution, just make it look good in a resolution that makes sense for a 7.4" screen, and last as long as possible. 3-12 hours sounds unlikely, but I would believe 3-10 with the brightness turned down on games like JRPGs or the like.