Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2023, 02:51 PM   #641
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Taking the kids to the Sunday game against Colorado. Really looking forward to it.
I'll be there with my sons U11 minor hockey team (winners of Esso minor hockey week).
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 10:23 PM   #642
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scoreboard watching today, Coachella squandered one of their games-in-hand in a game against the Condors today. I believe that’s there first two-game skid all season.

Pts% gap shrinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 03:53 PM   #643
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 pm start tonight against Colorado again
Old 02-19-2023, 06:12 PM   #644
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Schwindt scores on the first shot of the game.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 08:35 PM   #645
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2023, 10:26 PM   #646
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun game at the dome. Really liked Petterssen’s game. Slowly becoming one of my favorite prospects.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:01 PM   #647
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Friday game was an amazing atmosphere. The CSEC should do whatever they can to keep the minor league teams interested in filling up the lower bowl. There were 5400 people there that game. Most of them rabid ardent kids losing their minds. My nephews had a great time as well.

I enjoyed the game. Fast and aggressive. It was a zero zero game going into the third. Colorado scored on a shot from the point. This was after the wranglers killed a 5 min major.

Then the good guys tied it up on a 5 on 3. Matty Phillips again with magic. Shame how this kid isn’t getting looks with the big club more often.

The game went to OT where solovyov potted his first of the year in dramatic fashion. Everyone left happy and the buzz from the game translated into a happy ending.

Impressions of the players were as follows.

Wolf was the best player in the ice. Full stop.
His skating, rebound control and poise were what won the game. He competes well at the top of his crease and looked real calm out there. Mind you Colorado didn’t have many amazing offensive creative players. He still stopped a penalty shot and gave the team enough of what they needed for the comeback.

Solovyov looked decent out there. He was physical and made some good passes.

Meloche doesn’t pass well in transition but is physical and has compete.

Kuznetsov looks young still. He didn’t make many notable plays. He didn’t do much in transition but he looks smooth out there for a big guy. Not very physical. He looks to be a bit of a project yet. Not much to write home about for pick skills.

Desimone doesn’t look particularly good at anything. Decent physical play. Decent all around.

Zohorna is fast and big but he doesn’t have much in the way of puck skills and physical play despite being a large dude.

Another large dude Klapka. He was woefully underwhelming. He’s not a pro at all. He has a decent shot but he’s not physical and he doesn’t move well. The physical play of the ahl is too much for him. In a scrum , an average sized player for the eagles back him down and called him a ##### cat and he just slinked away. It seems the other team knew he wasn’t that intimidating despite his size.

Ben Jones isn’t a top league guy. Pretty average. We sat in front of his family. I think they are British. Nice enough. They were there with friends who only had any attention for when he was on the ice or the goals were scored. Neat for my nephews though since their last name is Jones. Ben’s dad chatted up my one nephew. I told my nephew to say “hope Ben makes it to the nhl” to which his dad replied “ not as much as me”. Neat human moment of insight into an ahl players personal life.

Matt Phillips was good. Little but competitive. He was targeted all game but was slippery enough to avoid the big hit. He didn’t shy away from the greasy areas. Was rewarded with the game tying goal. He’s an ahl all star for a reason. Good compete In him. Flames should give him a longer look. He’s no gaudreau. He’s a chippy goal scorer. If he had 20 lbs and 3 inches of height there would be no doubt.

Connor Zary was the most promising fwd. he would take the extra second to make a play. He wasn’t super fast or gifted with puck skills but he looks competent in those areas. His confidence with the puck on his stick is as the best on the ice. He wasn’t just moving it a quickly as it came. He controlled a lot of the play on the left half wall during the pp. imo he’s a pro. He has good size. He engages physically and skates reasonably Well. He’s a good two way center. He has top nine potential maybe higher if he has good complimentary wingers. Developing at the ahl is good for him. He will look better playing with better players.

Schwindt looked pretty slow and unnoticeable. He competes physically but isn’t very fleet of foot. He could still blossom if he continues to get stronger and work on his skating but not really the type to make an impact offensively. He could be a third line player that brings physical play and responsibility. He’s not showing more imo. Hopefully he figures out something to improve his skating. That would unlock more of his potential offensively.

The other players were not scouting as they were ahl fodder. McLain is a poor skater and doesn’t make stand out plays.

Wolf is a puzzler as he doesn’t look small enough to have been drafted in the seventh round. I think we got a steal there. That kid should be up in the show next year. He won’t have anything to prove in the ahl next year. I’d ride with him and vladar/ marky as my second choice personally.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:17 PM   #648
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Henderson is in town to take on the Wranglers. 7 pm start. Good backup hockey to watch once the Flames game goes sideways.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:09 PM   #649
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pettersen has 2, Zary has 1. Game tied, 3-3.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 09:33 PM   #650
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poirier is gonna play.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2023, 11:34 PM   #651
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ouch, Wranglers lose 5-4 in OT. Wolf stops 34 of 39, Gallant has 2 fights and 22 PIMs.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 08:05 AM   #652
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Wolf is getting tired having played 40 games already. He has played 5 games more than the next highest goalie. Average games played of the top 10 (after Wolf) is 31 games.
Wolf has faced 1200 shots; The average number of shots of the next top 10 is 890 shots
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:29 AM   #653
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I wonder if Wolf is getting tired having played 40 games already. He has played 5 games more than the next highest goalie. Average games played of the top 10 (after Wolf) is 31 games.
Wolf has faced 1200 shots; The average number of shots of the next top 10 is 890 shots
The second goal in particular, he left a huge hole over his inside shoulder. That's usually the sort of thing that happens when you're a little overtired and not quite dialed in on the details the way you need to be.

Kiprusoff would do that when he needed a game off - let in some rando goal that should never go in, and then you notice he's made 20 straight starts, about to get into his 50th game of the year, and it's late January, and it all adds up.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:56 AM   #654
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Poirier is going to be good. I did not expect him to step up so hugely in his rookie year.

He's playing as good or better than I remember Brodie being.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:05 AM   #655
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Poirier is going to be good. I did not expect him to step up so hugely in his rookie year.

He's playing as good or better than I remember Brodie being.
Last night was the first time I’ve seen him play - Brodie was who I thought of at first glance too, with a little Alzner thrown in.

Poirier has a better shot than either, though none of them are Dion.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:42 PM   #656
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Poirier seems to be in and out of Mitch Love's doghouse. If his defensive game can be reigned in, the sky is the limit given his skill set.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #657
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Poirier is the prospect that I find most intriguing because it's something the Flames lack...maybe they can play him with Tanev next year and he can be our Quinn Hughes
Old 02-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #658
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
Poirier is the prospect that I find most intriguing because it's something the Flames lack...maybe they can play him with Tanev next year and he can be our Quinn Hughes
If you’d like to be frightened about the passage of time, consider that next year is the last year of Tanev’s deal.

Feels like we just signed him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 05:29 PM   #659
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Wranglers have acquired goaltender Garrett Metcalf on a PTO, as per AHL Transactions page.

A 6th Round Anaheim pick from 2015, he had been playing with their affiliate in San Diego and with the Utah Grizzlies (ECHL).

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 02-23-2023 at 05:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2023, 09:44 PM   #660
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Wranglers lose 5-2 to Henderson. Two late empty netters seal the win.

Tags
bring back scorch , canucks no good , edmonton is no good , wolfie