Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #1241
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

a little frosty out there this morning. How was bike to work day on Friday? (I had the day off)
Old 05-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #1242
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wet and cold. Easily the worst situations for gloves - I'm in the market for waterproof and insulated gloves.

Turns out my Schwalbe Marathon snow tires maybe the tightest fitting and hardest to remove tires in existence. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove tough to remove tires? I've ordered some steel levers (went through 3 nylon ones) but don't want to mangle my rims either.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #1243
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Wet and cold. Easily the worst situations for gloves - I'm in the market for waterproof and insulated gloves.

Turns out my Schwalbe Marathon snow tires maybe the tightest fitting and hardest to remove tires in existence. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove tough to remove tires? I've ordered some steel levers (went through 3 nylon ones) but don't want to mangle my rims either.
I run those as well. They're a genuine pain in the ass, but they wear really well and last a long time. I've got some really hard nylon ones that work for me.

The gloves thing is a pain. I carry two pairs on days like Friday.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #1244
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

for getting those tires on/off make sure you push the opposite side of the tire from where you are struggling into the deepest part of the wheel.

Basically push both sidewalls into the very deepest, middle part of the channel on the rim, and you'll free up just enough slack to get the other side on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #1245
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
for getting those tires on/off make sure you push the opposite side of the tire from where you are struggling into the deepest part of the wheel.

Basically push both sidewalls into the very deepest, middle part of the channel on the rim, and you'll free up just enough slack to get the other side on.
This. And contrary to popular belief when installing a tire finish, not start, at the valve. The valve stem prevents the bead from sitting in the lowest part of the rim. To remove you would start at the valve after pushing the opposite side from the valve into the groove as hulkrogan suggested.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #1246
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm, double post
Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #1247
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm a bike noob. I've never had a bike with a presta valve.

Is there some trick to not bending the #### out of these when adjusting air pressure? Is a portable tire pump with the pump actually on the same plane as the nozzle a bad idea, and should I get one of those foot pumps with a sep. line for the air nozzle instead?

I've bent both my front and back valves now even trying to be super careful and I feel like an idiot notwithstanding I followed youtube advice and was careful not to put any lateral pressure when pumping. I can't screw the little brass cap piece back down now, which means the plastic cap wont fit either. I'm taking this in to Ridleys soon to just get them to make it all ok again, but I know this is admitting defeat.

Seriously, this blows my mind how badly I seem to have ####ed it up. These valves don't seem to be designed for anyone used to the schrader kind. They should come with giant idiot warning stickers.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #1248
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

http://www.mec.ca/product/5012-356/f...=tire%2Blevers
I use these and loads and loads of dish soap. Make sure to wipe and wash the tires down after though when you put them on again as sometimes the soap can cause issues otherwise.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #1249
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post

Is there some trick to not bending the #### out of these when adjusting air pressure? Is a portable tire pump with the pump actually on the same plane as the nozzle a bad idea, and should I get one of those foot pumps with a sep. line for the air nozzle instead?

I've bent both my front and back valves now even trying to be super careful and I feel like an idiot notwithstanding I followed youtube advice and was careful not to put any lateral pressure when pumping. I can't screw the little brass cap piece back down now, which means the plastic cap wont fit either. I'm taking this in to Ridleys soon to just get them to make it all ok again, but I know this is admitting defeat.

Seriously, this blows my mind how badly I seem to have ####ed it up. These valves don't seem to be designed for anyone used to the schrader kind. They should come with giant idiot warning stickers.

http://www.mec.ca/product/4000-588/k...valve-adapter/ $1.25 !
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #1250
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post

I'm not fully following what you are doing. Perhaps someone else can help or you can post a youtube video showing what you are doing.

Presta and schrader use different style of pumps. Some pumps can be adjusted to work for both though. Perhaps you have been using the wrong pump?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #1251
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^He's using a pump that fits directly onto the valve, with no intermediate hose.

The answer is that Presta valves suck and are always super weak. You pretty much need the intermediate hose, even then they aren't that hard to bend.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #1252
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

there's a fine line between being successful and ripping the stem clean off. You figure it out after awhile.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #1253
Burke Salad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do places like Calgary Cycle or Bow Cycle provide financing options? Seems the good bikes are getting extremely pricey.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #1254
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The first time I pumped up a presta valve, I bent it quite a bit. Fortunately, I was able to bend it back.

I'm being a lot more careful from now on. My tires are rated to like 145 PSI so I have to pump quite hard. Having a hose helps a lot. If I was using the pump directly on the valve, I'd probably mangle it like you did.

Using this:
http://www.mec.ca/product/5016-153/f...-gauge/?q=pump
Old 05-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #1255
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
http://www.mec.ca/product/5012-356/f...=tire%2Blevers
I use these and loads and loads of dish soap. Make sure to wipe and wash the tires down after though when you put them on again as sometimes the soap can cause issues otherwise.
I love the cost of bike tools... Two metal popsicle sticks (not even coated ones to minimize scratching) run up to $22. Profit Margin = 22,000%

Will give the dish soap a shot.... studded tires make this an even more lethal and infuriating exercise.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #1256
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Most bike shops will just give you a couple levers if you ask. Worst case scenario, they have the plastic ones that are a couple bucks a piece. Make sure you get the style with the spoke hooks though, makes things 10 X easier.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #1257
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you need to hook the tire lever on the spokes you're doing it wrong.

The best tire lever money can buy!

For stubborn tires:
1) Deflate tire all the way
2) Focus on one side and break the bead free from the rim
3) Push bead into centre deep channel of rim
4) With thumbs work excess bead toward the valve stem
5) Slide quick stik into gap between bead and rim
6) Repeat step 4 to make sure all of bead is in deep centre section
7) Lever out bead a little bit and slide quick stik around rim popping bead off
8) If it's still to tight double check and repeat step 4

I've never seen a tire/rim combination that requires a second tire lever. Never.

Source: 8 years wrenching
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #1258
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going mountain biking in Montana for May long weekend. Apparently some parts of the state dry out and warm out much quicker than Canadian mountain biking spots. I can't wait. I also plan on biking in B.C, Oregon and Idaho this summer.

I only got into mountain biking after moving to Alberta last year (none in MB or NS where I lived). And boy am I hooked. Jasper was the best place I biked last year so far.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #1259
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

jasper has a couple of sweet, sweet trails.

my family and i are going to Bend, Oregon this summer to bike and hike.......i am looking forward to this vacation......
Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #1260
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke Salad View Post
Do places like Calgary Cycle or Bow Cycle provide financing options? Seems the good bikes are getting extremely pricey.
I know Bow Cycle does.
Closed Thread