Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #441
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
I would love some advice please!

I still consider myself a very novice biker. I've been out less than a dozen times, but absolutely love biking and am trying to push myself. I'm riding a cheap downhill mountain bike that feels like it weighs 50 pounds, and would love to rent a better bike to to see how far I can push it and eventually buy one.

My first ride was just over a month ago, and I went 8k. I was embarrassed how gassed I was from such a small distance. 10 rides later, I'm up to 32k. Still not fantastic, and I'm sure many of you could do that without breaking a sweat, but I am content with the results. My goal over the next month and a half, realistically, is 75k, but I am going to try my hardest to push 100k.

So, a few questions...

I live in Rocky Ridge, and the hills around here are KILLING me. I know it's great for practice, but when I try for my distance goal, I would love some flatter land. Any suggestions on where to go for a better ride?

Also, where can you rent a decent road bike? I have heard the University rents them out, but haven't checked into it yet. Any suggestions on that end?

An awesome ride is horse creek road and back on grand valley road. You can leave from rocky ridge take the 1a through cochrane. First right after the 22 is horse creek road. It's nicely paved and low traffic. Lots of roadies will ride it.

Sports rent on 16th ave rents bikes.

Last edited by bossy22; 05-22-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added bike info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #442
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I ride pretty much every day just in my sneakers jammed into old school cages. Should I really get some clips? It's a potential PITA to find them because I have size 14 feet and finding shoes that fit is always trouble, but maybe I'll start the hunt if it'll make a big difference.
it is stunning what a huge difference clipless pedals make.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #443
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
it is stunning what a huge difference clipless pedals make.
Okay, cool. Thanks.

I suppose Bow would have the best selection for a dude with big feet?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #444
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kind of stupid question here, but anyone every try to commute in a storm like we got going on now?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #445
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
Kind of stupid question here, but anyone every try to commute in a storm like we got going on now?
Have doe it a few times and never when I have full wet gear @ the office...after the 1st km or so you are soaked, and then I tend to just kinda get Zenlike about it...although my commute isn't that long...the positive is that it tends to get the fair weather cyclists and walkers off the pathway!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #446
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I commuted home today on my road bike in that mess (about a 25 minute ride).

Like Julio says, you're absolutely soaked to the core within a minute and after that it's almost enjoyable to me... the more annoying part to me is the mud and the dirt strip right up my ass/back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #447
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I commuted home today on my road bike in that mess (about a 25 minute ride).

Like Julio says, you're absolutely soaked to the core within a minute and after that it's almost enjoyable to me... the more annoying part to me is the mud and the dirt strip right up my ass/back.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cycling/Fenders.jsp
Get yourself a Fender
Old 05-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #448
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, wondering where I should go in the downtown/inner city area to get my road bike tuned up. Recommendations?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #449
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
So, wondering where I should go in the downtown/inner city area to get my road bike tuned up. Recommendations?

If you can stray from DT a little bit, I'd suggest Eurotech up on Northmount/14th street.

One old guy/mechanic who does everything and has incredible attention to detail.
Best tune ups ever!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #450
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Cheap and quick no appt necessary - MEC. And they actually have a couple really good mechanics right now.

My preference if I am paying - Ridleys.

What you should do - Buy a Park Tool AK-37 tool kit for $250 and a stand, and never pay for a tune again. Anything you want to fix nowadays, has a step by step youtube walk through. It is almost impossible to screw anything up. Plus you will find you maintain your bikes way better as you have everything you need to do it when you need it. I put my bikes on the stand once every couple weeks, tweak everything to perfection.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #451
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I ride pretty much every day just in my sneakers jammed into old school cages. Should I really get some clips? It's a potential PITA to find them because I have size 14 feet and finding shoes that fit is always trouble, but maybe I'll start the hunt if it'll make a big difference.
Cages are pretty close to as efficient in the scheme of things, they are just a PITA if you are riding through a lot of traffic lights where you are taking a foot in and out over and over. They are nice because you get to wear whatever shoes you want.

I wear 14s as well and didn't have too bad of a time tracking down shoes. I personally like them WAY better for various reasons. I'd have to leave my cages pretty loose for commuting, so they weren't super useful for the upstroke. Bike shoes (good ones) are really stiff, so also quite efficient. But mostly not having to flip my pedal back over every time I started off from a red light was by far the greatest benefit. I personally would never go back to cages.

I found my shoes at Ridley's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #452
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I put my bikes on the stand once every couple weeks, tweak everything to perfection.
You should put on a CP tune up class!!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #453
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
You should put on a CP tune up class!!
I would, but I am still in the learning phase with derailleurs, and wheel truing. So my personal bikes are kinda guinea pigs right now. I have been doing a lot of co-workers/friends bikes recently. Cassettes, chains, brake adjustments, minor wheel truing. General maintenance.

Little secret, I am seriously considering opening a bike shop in the next couple years. I am looking at a build-a-bike concept. Basically you come in, pick a frame, and a grouppo, wheel set... etc. Get a totally custom fit. You can source generic unbranded, carbon and aluminum frames out of Taiwan for pretty reasonable costs right from the manufacturers for Giant, etc....

Then you get to build it hands on with a bike mechanic if you wish. I would specialize in commuter/road. I don't think it would work with MTB's as there is so many variants, and disciplines.

I have looked at the start up costs, and it looks viable, and it would be something I would absolutely love doing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #454
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I would, but I am still in the learning phase with derailleurs, and wheel truing. So my personal bikes are kinda guinea pigs right now. I have been doing a lot of co-workers/friends bikes recently. Cassettes, chains, brake adjustments, minor wheel truing. General maintenance.

Little secret, I am seriously considering opening a bike shop in the next couple years. I am looking at a build-a-bike concept. Basically you come in, pick a frame, and a grouppo, wheel set... etc. Get a totally custom fit. You can source generic unbranded, carbon and aluminum frames out of Taiwan for pretty reasonable costs right from the manufacturers for Giant, etc....

Then you get to build it hands on with a bike mechanic if you wish. I would specialize in commuter/road. I don't think it would work with MTB's as there is so many variants, and disciplines.

I have looked at the start up costs, and it looks viable, and it would be something I would absolutely love doing.
Not to be a dick, but this is a big gear grinder for me.
It's gruppo, not grouppo.
If you want to sound fancy and use the Italian word, at least go all the way and spell it properly.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #455
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Not to be a dick, but this is a big gear grinder for me.
It's gruppo, not grouppo.
If you want to sound fancy and use the Italian word, at least go all the way and spell it properly.
lol, All the years I have looked at that word, I have seen it spelled 'grouppo', took a look at a parts website, and wouldn't you know it....'gruppo'. One of those stupid your brain assuming the way it is spelled thingamabobs.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #456
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

McKenzie Towne/130th needs a bike shop. There aren't any even remotely close. It'd be a gold mine.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #457
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
McKenzie Towne/130th needs a bike shop. There aren't any even remotely close. It'd be a gold mine.
i agree - i suppose the closest are cyclepath on MacLeod & 90th and Pedalhead in Avineda
Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #458
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

What is the Mandarin word for "Group"? Because that is what we should now be using for bike components...

Question for you road bikers. I badly want to build/buy a belt drive commuter. If I'm a 23"+ on a mountain bike, would that put me in the 60cm territory for a road bike/commuter frame?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #459
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
What is the Mandarin word for "Group"? Because that is what we should now be using for bike components...

Question for you road bikers. I badly want to build/buy a belt drive commuter. If I'm a 23"+ on a mountain bike, would that put me in the 60cm territory for a road bike/commuter frame?
There's your ride. I am positive I saw these a Ridley's a few weeks back. Sweet bike, and they come in 22.5' or 25" for you gigantors.

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes...ho/soho_deluxe
Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #460
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before I complete my online parts order - is there anything about a frame or wheelset that would need to be considered before going from an 8-speed gruppo set to 9-speed for a MTN bike?
Closed Thread