Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #301
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #22 View Post

Just to get everyone into the riding spirit. These are shots from our assault on the Highwood pass last June
based on this shot it appears as if you were begging the granny instead of pushing the big ring......

cool photos, I'd like to tackle this ride one day
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #302
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

heck, don't wait for "on day..." just do it. If you're not in great shape, it just means you get to stop and enjoy the scenery more. A fantastic ride, and even more spectacular if you do it before it's open to cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #303
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hit up Bow Cycle today and grabbed some shoes (Specialized Pro Road) for 50% off and pedals (Shimano 105) for 20% off...the bikes are down to the final 3.

Opus Scherzo / Trek Madone 3.1 / Giant TCR Comp 2
Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #304
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm intrigued by this Highwood Pass ride... Would anyone care to do a little write up with information on how best for a nubcake to tackle this??

Things such as:
how long of a ride, best place to park, which end to start at, and any other tips.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #305
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if anyone here knows about pumps, but this thread seems as good of place as any to ask: I've had this pump for 15-20 years and it built quite well, but it no longer works--I think it's the hose that needs replacing.

Can these things be fixed, either by one's self or professionally (and locally)?

Recommendations for a place to have it fixed?

Old 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #306
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally decided on my bike today (shout out to great service at Ridleys)...ended up trying out the Trek 2.1 & 3.1, Giant Defy 1 + TCR2. I really didnt notice much difference in the 15min test rides I did between the composite + aluminum frames. The Giant also didnt "feel" as good as the Trek geometry. Ended up getting the Trek 2.1 Apex. I just couldnt justify the extra $500+ on carbon fibre.

The lime green bike goes well with my green Specialized Pro Road shoes (aka HULK!)

Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #307
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mints, I am guessing that at the end of the day it would be cheaper to go to MEC and buy a new pump for $25
The Following User Says Thank You to Northendzone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #308
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Mints, I am guessing that at the end of the day it would be cheaper to go to MEC and buy a new pump for $25
Agreed. I bought this one: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...or-pump-ii.jsp

It works perfectly and has both valve types on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #309
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll probably pick up a new one.

Last summer I picked up an el-cheapo pump at Canadian Tire, and it broke after about six uses.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #310
HHW
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I'm intrigued by this Highwood Pass ride... Would anyone care to do a little write up with information on how best for a nubcake to tackle this??

Things such as:
how long of a ride, best place to park, which end to start at, and any other tips.
Just from my own experience:

We've ridden the pass the last couple of years, both times approaching from the South, and just riding to the summit and back. Eighty km round trip, should take about four-five hours.
Take the 541 from Longview to the gate. You can park on the road just outside the gate, it's not too busy, even on the weekend.

From the gate to the top of the pass is about 40km. For the first 20km, the road alternates uphill and downhill, but on average only rises slightly. After you pass the "Picklejar" recreation area, the climb becomes steady, but not too difficult, at about 3-4% gradient. The last three kilometers are tough, but even then no more than 6%. The climb itself would maybe rate a category '2' (don't know exactly what the criteria are).

To tackle this ride, obviously get some longer rides in on your bike prior. Anyone in reasonable shape can work up to doing this ride, even on a lower-end bike road bike, but it's still 80km to the top and back, and you need to get some kilometers in your legs. A series of 2-4 hour rides on the Calgary pathways, starting about now, will really help.

Make sure you have a proper repair kit and spare tires. The highway surface is actually pretty rough, and we've blown a few tires over the years. Walking back down would really suck, obviously. Also, it may be tempting to go light on the extra clothing that you carry, but this is a high alpine pass, and weather can be crazy. Every time I've ridden the Highwood, I've seen sun, rain, and snow/hail. At the very least, have a good windbreaker, full gloves, and long pants. On the descent, you will be very glad for these. A road cycling shirt is very useful also, because you can stuff the extra clothes in the back pocket. Alternately, you can carry a backpack, but that really adds to your workload, and is not comfortable.

Lastly, take a ridiculous amount of food. At least 1000 calories worth. Bars and gels are best, they have a lot of energy and are light. Most cycle stores sell these. It is not a pleasant experience to "bonk" (sudden drop of blood sugar levels) when you are still 25km from your car

My best advice: Just go out, recruit some friends, get properly prepared, and try it! On my first attempt, I didn't quite hit the top (in my own defence, I was hung over, and riding a 15-year old hybrid bike), but it just motivated me to come back. The scenery is mind-blowing, and riding on the highway has a surreal, almost post-apocalyptic feel to it.

Last edited by HHW; 04-14-2012 at 11:43 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HHW For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #311
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^^^^^
Thanks,

Couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone that has a Roadbike or good hybrid and can ride 2-3 hours in a row should attempt this. An amazing experience, and not nearly as scary as it seems
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #312
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHW View Post
Just from my own experience:
Thank you so much for taking the time to type that up - I really appreciate it!!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #313
RobotTalk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Finally decided on my bike today (shout out to great service at Ridleys)...ended up trying out the Trek 2.1 & 3.1, Giant Defy 1 + TCR2. I really didnt notice much difference in the 15min test rides I did between the composite + aluminum frames. The Giant also didnt "feel" as good as the Trek geometry. Ended up getting the Trek 2.1 Apex. I just couldnt justify the extra $500+ on carbon fibre.

The lime green bike goes well with my green Specialized Pro Road shoes (aka HULK!)
Good call with the Trek 2.1!! This will be my third season riding a 2.1 and it's brought me nothing but joy, no mechanical or frame issues whatsoever averaging 4000-5000 km a year. My only complaint is the stock saddle, it gets pretty uncomfortable after riding for a few hours. I replaced mine with a selle italia and haven't looked back.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobotTalk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #314
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotTalk View Post
Good call with the Trek 2.1!! This will be my third season riding a 2.1 and it's brought me nothing but joy, no mechanical or frame issues whatsoever averaging 4000-5000 km a year. My only complaint is the stock saddle, it gets pretty uncomfortable after riding for a few hours. I replaced mine with a selle italia and haven't looked back.
I've heard that about most stock seats. I havent had a chance to get out and put rubber to pavement yet with this crappy weather. Looking forward to finally getting some serious seat time. I'm going to try out the RTCC weekend hour rides and head with my brother in law on his Madone 5.0. I've got some decent shorts so we'll give both them a try on the saddle as well and see what happens.

The SRAM Apex will take a bit of getting used too (double click). But I like its feel better than the 105 group. Just felt like really solid, reliable, shifting.

I love the pics + stories of the Highwood pass. Any other nice 4 - 6 hour rides guys would recommend around Calgary (1-2 hour drive)??
Old 04-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #315
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I flew Westjet with some people who brought their bikes on their trip to Las Vegas/Utah.

They said they paid $20 a bike, but Westjet could charge $120 if they followed their own rules. Can anyone who has flown with their bike confirm?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #316
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I flew Westjet with some people who brought their bikes on their trip to Las Vegas/Utah.

They said they paid $20 a bike, but Westjet could charge $120 if they followed their own rules. Can anyone who has flown with their bike confirm?
I know the people you are talking about. They went to Vegas and then went to St George and rode. According to them, it's up to the ironies discretion. When They went to the agent they were told the "regular fee" and buddy said, nope $20. When the agent questioned him he just said its your discretion, you can charge us what you want. They paid $20. That's the story from one of the girls on the trip. I am only repeating what I was told.
I have friends who race around the world and they've said it all depends on our agent and their mood for the day. Some times they pay nothing, most times they pay a lot.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #317
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone cycle 26th AVE SW on their daily commute? I'd be coming from pretty much Sarcee road area into downtown via 26th. Looking for some input as to whether it' a death trap with all the parked cars on the roadway and buses using it. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #318
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

26 ave from 37st to across Crowchild has a marked bike lane. I see lots of cyclists on that route too, so I'd think it's pretty safe.

Check out bikecalgary.org - someone on there could certainly provide more insight.
The Following User Says Thank You to core_upt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #319
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

So I went on my first "real" ride on my all Carbon 5.1. Banged out 65kms on Sunday.

My god, I can never go back to aluminum. Everything was better. Bump absorption, feel, power delivery, AVG speed is up 3 KPH. Man, if anyone thinks carbon is just for vanity, it changes the whole ride.

Love it!
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #320
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apart from Kijiji, what is a good place to buy used/2011 model bikes in town? Need to find something for my wife...ideally under $500. We mostly stick to pathways these days, so just looking for a decent hybrid.
Closed Thread