Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #981
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I bet we'll get a juicy quote out of him this week at some point.
I hope so, but he doesn’t work here, and not sure when Sportsnet will have him on next
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #982
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Yeah im a troll and not a Flames fan but i spend 5000 grand a year on merch and games.
Oilers merch does not count

obvious kidding
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #983
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oilers merch does not count

obvious kidding
You don't know how much i hate the Oil.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #984
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah im a troll and not a Flames fan but i spend 5000 grand a year on merch and games. Guys on here can judge but know nothing about a guy lol
You spend 5 million a year must be nice to have that kind of coin..
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #985
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don't know how much i hate the Oil.
You missed the white print.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #986
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You missed the white print.
I know what you meant. Go troll
Old 06-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #987
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
There it is:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1010606269785432069

Treliving putting it diplomatically, but translation is Fox was not signing here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
IMO this is not true. In this era of the NHL, teams actually spend a lot of money in development coaches who regularly visit all their prospects to work with them on and off the ice.

For example, Scott Nichols (then Preds head of development) would fly out every weekend to watch Jimmy Vesey play and work with him.

This is essentially free private coaching for the player
Also all the scouting work that goes in prior to the draft. While there’s a lot of luck in picks like Fox, can’t understate the work put in by Flames scouting team to make that pick.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #988
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know what you meant. Go troll
Well obviously you didn't because I also put a wink icon beside it and you actually took that seriously. You done yet? Lets agree to disagree on everything and move on with the thread.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #989
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s a terrible argument. Go ahead and be critical of the flames if you don’t like a player or a move it’s definitely your right as a fan but there is no need to get so bent out of shape on it. Some posters literally want moves and players to perform pourly here so that they can have an I told you so moment rather than see success.

We have two recent 5th overalls to add to the core of this team and though I loved Ferly and everything he brought let’s just take a minute and think that he - a 5th ROUND player - along with a prospect who’s now known to not want to sign here got this team a 5th overall pick player in Lindholm who looks poised to bust out and could be signed to a crazy value contract.

People who hate hate hate this trade are way over reacting and aren’t even taking a minute to look at and consider the two pieces we got back in the deal.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #990
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
I feel like if these 2 players played for any team other than Carolina they would be rated much higher. 2 recent #5 overalls who have shown good improvements and proved they will be bare minimum a top 4 defense and top 6 forward.
Maybe in message boards, but GM's ignore useless info like this.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #991
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a Flames fan since 1984, I do not want to be called a troll but I think BT overpaid again. That is not unexpected for me as I think BT is in over his head and is one of the weaker Flames GM's. That being said he did get 2 quality assets back for a 45-50 point dman whose advance stats are great and is on a good contract, plus a serviceable top 9 forward and a good prospect.

If Lindholm and Hanifin continue to develop the trade is probably salvagable and in a world where Lindholm becomes a consistent 60-70 point guy and Hanifin is a legit top 2, 40+ point dman they may even win the trade.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #992
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well obviously you didn't because I also put a wink icon beside it and you actually took that seriously. You done yet? Lets agree to disagree on everything and move on with the thread.
Ok it's done. Im moving on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #993
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just measn teams need to do more due dilligence when it comes to drafting NCAA players. Im sure during interviews they'll say all of the things to get drafted but you have to find a way to get the truth. If any player has no intent on signing with you don't draft him. Just got to dig harder for the truth before you draft him. And thats not saying they don't try to do that already.

from a Flames perspective they have had incredible luck drafting college players. But only two so far have not signed. Not bad. But I bet it makes the team more weary moving forward.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #994
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1010604756849471488

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 03:40 PM   #995
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since Hanifin has come into the league, Hamilton has taken almost 3x as many minor penalties.

Hanifin has 5 more PIMs in his career than Hamilton had just last season.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #996
BigJim
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think the comments about Ferland being a UFA after next year is very telling. Treliving has been pretty good about evaluating value of players in the past and not overpaying to keep them. To wit: Colborne, Bouma, Glencross etc. They all felt they were worth more than BT was prepared to pay. They didn't take what was offered, moved on, generally with some gnashing of teeth from this board, and were out of the league within a year or so. I can't help feeling that this scenario was coming with Ferland. Huge respect for him and what he's battled, but inconsistent to a fault given his skillset. Career year last year but was invisible (like a lot of the team admittedly) halfway through the season and not heard from again. Likely would want more than BT would be willing to pay, and this trade possibly prevents losing him for nothing.

I like this trade, especially given the totality of all the information that is coming out.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #997
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah im a troll and not a Flames fan but i spend 5000 grand a year on merch and games. Guys on here can judge but know nothing about a guy lol
Well the only thing you’re judged on here is your posts and to put it bluntly your posts suck. Want people to think better of your work here? Contribute better
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #998
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
That’s a terrible argument. Go ahead and be critical of the flames if you don’t like a player or a move it’s definitely your right as a fan but there is no need to get so bent out of shape on it. Some posters literally want moves and players to perform pourly here so that they can have an I told you so moment rather than see success.

We have two recent 5th overalls to add to the core of this team and though I loved Ferly and everything he brought let’s just take a minute and think that he - a 5th ROUND player - along with a prospect who’s now known to not want to sign here got this team a 5th overall pick player in Lindholm who looks poised to bust out and could be signed to a crazy value contract.

People who hate hate hate this trade are way over reacting and aren’t even taking a minute to look at and consider the two pieces we got back in the deal.
Nope, some of us are fully looking at the pieces coming back and still hate hate hate this deal.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #999
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Just measn teams need to do more due dilligence when it comes to drafting NCAA players. Im sure during interviews they'll say all of the things to get drafted but you have to find a way to get the truth. If any player has no intent on signing with you don't draft him. Just got to dig harder for the truth before you draft him. And thats not saying they don't try to do that already.

from a Flames perspective they have had incredible luck drafting college players. But only two so far have not signed. Not bad. But I bet it makes the team more weary moving forward.

Is it possible that Fox value has increased since the draft and he now has leverage to say "I will pick where I play"? If nobody was talking about him or interested in him sure Calgary would be his top choice
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #1000
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
As a Flames fan since 1984, I do not want to be called a troll but I think BT overpaid again. That is not unexpected for me as I think BT is in over his head and is one of the weaker Flames GM's. That being said he did get 2 quality assets back for a 45-50 point dman whose advance stats are great and is on a good contract, plus a serviceable top 9 forward and a good prospect.

If Lindholm and Hanifin continue to develop the trade is probably salvagable and in a world where Lindholm becomes a consistent 60-70 point guy and Hanifin is a legit top 2, 40+ point dman they may even win the trade.
"may even"
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post: