Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #21
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Hitler was man of the year in 1938 according to TIME.

Also, this:

Spoiler!


Not sure what the point of the thread is.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:27 AM   #22
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

he has nice hair and he does not crazily tweet about stuff or go on rants to fire people......but apparently he does not feel female genital mutilation is a barbaric practice....
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #23
Zarley
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Zarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Trudeau is exceeding my expectations (which were admittedly very low). He's smart enough to recognize that he needs to let his advisers make the important decisions for him and his strength is that of a figurehead PR role, almost like a governor general. The average idiot loves his shtick.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #24
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!
 
flylock shox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Now world wide!
Exp:
Default

That's a great article.


I think a lot of people who don't like Trudeau would read that and concede that, as much as they don't love the guy, he's the right guy for right now. Canada's brand is looking awfully good these days.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #25
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well he's also respected for his stance on climate change and drug policy, two things that were embarrassments for Canada under Harper
The climate change one is actually a good example of internal vs. external view. A lot of hardcore environmentalists within Canada (and within the American groups paid to undermine Canada's energy industry) are very upset with his stance on pipelines, for instance. Also, within Canada, we get to see Trudeau talk out of both sides of his mouth depending on whether he addresses a crowd in Quebec City or Edmonton. None of that is visible outside the country.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The climate change one is actually a good example of internal vs. external view. A lot of hardcore environmentalists within Canada (and within the American groups paid to undermine Canada's energy industry) are very upset with his stance on pipelines, for instance. Also, within Canada, we get to see Trudeau talk out of both sides of his mouth depending on whether he addresses a crowd in Quebec City or Edmonton. None of that is visible outside the country.
And depending on how much they're paying him.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #27
New Era
Franchise Player
 
New Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
None of that is visible outside the country.
This is so true. Nothing that happens within the borders of one country is ever visible to others, especially when it is reported in the news media. If only there were this information warehouse and distribution network that anyone from any country could access to find out what was going on in another country. The guy who comes up with that will do a great service to humanity and become very rich. Paging Al Gore! Paging Mr. Al Gore!

New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #28
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
he has nice hair and he does not crazily tweet about stuff or go on rants to fire people......but apparently he does not feel female genital mutilation is a barbaric practice....
Okay, I dont like Trudeau, but thats not a fair statement.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #29
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This is so true. Nothing that happens within the borders of one country is ever visible to others, especially when it is reported in the news media. If only there were this information warehouse and distribution network that anyone from any country could access to find out what was going on in another country. The guy who comes up with that will do a great service to humanity and become very rich. Paging Al Gore! Paging Mr. Al Gore!

Sarcasm aside, tell me everything you know about the Prime Minister of Australia, right now.

The availability of the internet obviously doesn't mean people are actively reading foreign sources. For nearly everybody, Americans will only see what CNN and Fox tells them, and Britons what BBC says, etc. And that coverage is often superficial or focused on an single event.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #30
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, I dont like Trudeau, but thats not a fair statement.
It is, however, the kind of statement that Taco Vidal was trolling for though.

This is one of those exceedingly rare cases where I agree with Psycnet's assessment. Even if it is a bit of a 'takes one to know one' scenario.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #31
Stud_McCool
Scoring Winger
 
Stud_McCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Exp:
Default

Justin's mom was with Rolling Stones as well.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
powderjunkie
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Did they ask why he is trying to destroy small businesses in this country through reforms to professional corporation taxation?


FWIW I'm more left than right, but not pleased with a lot of decisions they've made (electoral reform and this proposed tax reform being foremost).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #33
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Justin's mom was with Rolling Stones as well.
Oh yeah? Justin's dad was on the cover of Time!

__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:25 AM   #34
CroFlames
Franchise Player
 
CroFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

OK, the similarities are uncanny.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #35
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player
 
Huntingwhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
That's a great article.


I think a lot of people who don't like Trudeau would read that and concede that, as much as they don't love the guy, he's the right guy for right now. Canada's brand is looking awfully good these days.
Agreed. I'm not his biggest fan, but did vote Liberal the last election. He's slowly growing on me. The fact that the US and other countries around the world are jealous we have him as our leader is icing on the cake. Even if you don't like him, it's hard to argue he's not the ''right'' person for the job right now.

I loved the bit in the article about how when a Canadian is abroad and people find out where they are from, it's pretty much instant respect and they see you as someone who can help, not someone there to take. I've experienced that on many occasions on my past couple trips, in particular my most recent one a couple weeks ago where I was told in a couple different countries how lucky we are to have Trudeau representing us and not the orange guy. Most people love Canadians when they meet us abroad, and Trudeau is the poster boy for that.

Overall a great article, and it gives me the warm tingly feeling of being proud to be Canadian.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #36
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger
 
jeffporfirio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Oh yeah? Justin's dad was on the cover of Time!

Kidding aside, he does look a lot like Castro.
jeffporfirio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #37
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

I've mostly been impressed with the way in which he's addressed certain issues pragmatically, despite the fact that he knew well ahead of the time that it was going to cost him political capital to do so (Khadr, pipelines, etc.).
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #38
New Era
Franchise Player
 
New Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Sarcasm aside, tell me everything you know about the Prime Minister of Australia, right now.
You mean Malcolm Turnbull? This guy?

https://www.pm.gov.au/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Turnbull
https://www.facebook.com/malcolmturnbull
https://twitter.com/TurnbullMalcolm
https://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/
https://www.google.com/search?q=malc....0.20XC8bWhswo

Don't know much about him.

Quote:
The availability of the internet obviously doesn't mean people are actively reading foreign sources. For nearly everybody, Americans will only see what CNN and Fox tells them, and Britons what BBC says, etc. And that coverage is often superficial or focused on an single event.
Well, this boils down to the interest of the individual. Some people have an incredible level of interest in what is going on in certain countries or with certain issues, so they actively will follow sources of information that informs them on those issues. Sort of like this site. You have people from all over the world who come here for information about the Flames. You have a thread where people come to discuss American politics, and for the most part, the people are pretty well informed. It all depends on interests and desire to know more on given topics.
New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #39
Johnny Makarov
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Trudeau is exceeding my expectations (which were admittedly very low). He's smart enough to recognize that he needs to let his advisers make the important decisions for him and his strength is that of a figurehead PR role, almost like a governor general. The average idiot loves his shtick.
The average idiot would vote for Scheer in an election.
Johnny Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #40
killer_carlson
Franchise Player
 
killer_carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

As an ardent Trudeau critic, even I appreciated this puff piece in the Rolling Stone.

The author really trumpets the Justin Trudeau and even Canada's brand. In a global political climate where the leader's brand is tied to their apparent influence, this piece does a great job at strengthening the brand. Other media outlets are taking up the fact that he's on the cover, with cnn having a link on their front page to it: http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/26/medi...one/index.html


Leading into the NAFTA negotiations, a piece written by an American, in one of the largest pop-culture magazines in the USA, falls all over itself to say:
how great our PM is compared to the President,
touts Trudeau as a "centrist Democrat" at a time when deal making is critical in US politics,
contrasts our PM with the President and we end up on top each time.
how Americans might want to immigrate to Canada until Trump settles down

I don't know if the author could have done more to make Trudeau and Canada look good.

I don't think it's likely Canadians will experience another PM who can generate this type of piece.

It's not a great piece for domestic political opponents of Trudeau. But it's a great piece for Canadians globally.
__________________
"OOOOOOHHHHHHH those Russians" - Boney M
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killer_carlson For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016