Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #2981
Wastedyouth
Truculent!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

Watched Dunkirk.

I mean, it was visually great to watch. But I just wasn't entertained. I expect a great story with Nolan, something to tease the mind and not just the eyes.

I probably will never watch it again.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #2982
MattyC
Franchise Player
 
MattyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Watched Dunkirk.

I mean, it was visually great to watch. But I just wasn't entertained. I expect a great story with Nolan, something to tease the mind and not just the eyes.

I probably will never watch it again.
How's he going to tease the mind with war drama? It's not like he could could throw some twist or sci-fi in there.
__________________


Check out my comics Boris Got Out and Humanity Ltd. through my website! Also found on Facebook and Twitter!


www.badartcomics.com
MattyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #2983
Wastedyouth
Truculent!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
How's he going to tease the mind with war drama? It's not like he could could throw some twist or sci-fi in there.
Tell a strong fictional story based on real history? Kind of like he tried to do here, except the story was pretty weak and kind of boring.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #2984
MattyC
Franchise Player
 
MattyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

But you asked to have your mind teased. What do you mean by that? It's a phrase usually reserved for weird, high concept sci-fi (as is Nolans usual game).
__________________


Check out my comics Boris Got Out and Humanity Ltd. through my website! Also found on Facebook and Twitter!


www.badartcomics.com
MattyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #2985
Wastedyouth
Truculent!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
But you asked to have your mind teased. What do you mean by that? It's a phrase usually reserved for weird, high concept sci-fi (as is Nolans usual game).
Maybe poor word usage then.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #2986
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Just saw the new Ghost in the Shell. Went in with low expectations, so it was actually pretty enjoyable. My major gripe [contains major spoilers]:

Spoiler!

Last edited by blankall; 08-08-2017 at 06:06 PM.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #2987
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

I really liked Dunkirk but it's definitely not in the realm people on here are crowing about. Best Picture? Uhhhh no.

But I liked how it was creative in the way it told the story, and I liked how it took a unique perspective on the actual delivery of the story as well so in that regard it was really neat. I felt like they captured the deep and gripping fear that the soldiers likely felt really well.

But, there were a few things that fell flat for me, I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is though. So don't get me wrong, it's worth watching, but people saying 'best Christopher Nolan movie'... I don't think so.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 12:19 AM   #2988
snootchiebootchies
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I really liked Dunkirk but it's definitely not in the realm people on here are crowing about. Best Picture? Uhhhh no.

But I liked how it was creative in the way it told the story, and I liked how it took a unique perspective on the actual delivery of the story as well so in that regard it was really neat. I felt like they captured the deep and gripping fear that the soldiers likely felt really well.

But, there were a few things that fell flat for me, I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is though. So don't get me wrong, it's worth watching, but people saying 'best Christopher Nolan movie'... I don't think so.

Dunkirk is a one heck of a visual achievement -- which I think everybody can agree on. Not sure if I can help you put your finger on it but for me, the characters are pretty much stock. Everything besides the wonderful visuals and technical achievement is pretty much a letdown. Imagine Saving Private Ryan had stripped out everything except for the Omaha Beach invasion and I think you would end up with something close to Dunkirk. I know some folks love the narrative structure of the three interweaving storylines with the different time frames but I found it unnecessary. Compare the narrative structure of Dunkirk to that of Memento. The manipulation of time is essential for Memento as it keeps us as disoriented as the protagonist, Leonard Shelby. There is no such narrative necessity to play with time in Dunkirk. The three stories could have been told as separate vignettes that are connected by one common event without any lessened impact on the viewer.

I love Christopher Nolan and Dunkirk is one of the best films of the year but I do not see it as a strong Best Picture candidate either.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #2989
savemedrzaius
Powerplay Quarterback
 
savemedrzaius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

This movie is huge right now in China. It has some amazing action sequences.

The over-the-top patriotism ruins it a little, but I feel like China is going through what the USA went through in the '80s when a lot of their action movies were USA=GOOD, FOREIGN COUNTRIES=BAD. Recommend it to people who just want a fun action movie for the summer.

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #2990
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player
 
Huntingwhale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It actually took me 2 runs to really appreciate that movie.
Yeah that was my 2nd viewing too (the first was on my phone on a plane so I didn't get to appreciate it as much). Great film.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 AM   #2991
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Icarus was amazing. Absolutely must watch documentary. Makes me question the sanity of anyone who wants anything to do with the IOC. I can only imagine the bribes the Russians paid to IOC officials to get them to ignore the blatant doping and allow them to compete in Rio.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-12-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #2992
Machiavelli
Franchise Player
 
Machiavelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Lego Batman was way more fun than I expected
__________________
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. I love power.
Machiavelli is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Machiavelli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #2993
pseudoreality
Scoring Winger
 
pseudoreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Icarus was amazing. Absolutely must watch documentary. Makes me question the sanity of anyone who wants anything to do with the IOC. I can only imagine the bribes the Russians paid to IOC officials to get them to ignore the blatant doping and allow them to compete in Rio.
Did you understand what was going on with the urine at the beginning? Why was he keeping it and why did the Russian smuggle it to Russia?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #2994
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Did you understand what was going on with the urine at the beginning? Why was he keeping it and why did the Russian smuggle it to Russia?
That's a good question. I have absolutely no idea. I'm guessing we never got an answer because the bike race that the guy entered turned out to not do drug testing anyways.

I thought about this and I'm guessing that it is because he needed the advanced testing machine in Russia. They wanted to make sure that all traces of the drugs were gone so that in case Brian did get tested at the bike race they can ensure that it would come back negative.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-12-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #2995
Hes
Eye Guy
 
Hes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That's a good question. I have absolutely no idea. I'm guessing we never got an answer because the bike race that the guy entered turned out to not do drug testing anyways.

I thought about this and I'm guessing that it is because he needed the advanced testing machine in Russia. They wanted to make sure that all traces of the drugs were gone so that in case Brian did get tested at the bike race they can ensure that it would come back negative.
I think it was because the lab was on a close watch by authorities and he did not want to be seen doing anything shady. Plus he actually did worse in the race the next year.
Hes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #2996
Mike F
Franchise Player
 
Mike F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Djibouti
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Did you understand what was going on with the urine at the beginning? Why was he keeping it and why did the Russian smuggle it to Russia?
My take on it was:
  1. The point of the expirament was to show that you could dope and not get caught; i.e. that the tests would come back clean;
  2. A non-IAAF athlete can't just submit their samples to a WADA accredited lab, you need someone to sneak them in and run them under a false name (in this case the head scientist was going to identify them as his own personal samples); and
  3. You can't take urine samples across borders without proper documentation, so they had to be smuggled into Russia.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #2997
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Just watched the Robocop remake and liked it. The actings good, script works just fine, the film has a decent flow to it, there's a few interesting points made here and there. Even the action was fine.

I kind of fail to see why the movie was so badly received. I felt it had easily enough of its own thing going on to justify it's existence, and wasn't a bad film taken on its own.

I guess people just wanted it to be as good as the original.
__________________
A threat that brings you pancakes is still a threat.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #2998
MattyC
Franchise Player
 
MattyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Just watched the Robocop remake and liked it. The actings good, script works just fine, the film has a decent flow to it, there's a few interesting points made here and there. Even the action was fine.

I kind of fail to see why the movie was so badly received. I felt it had easily enough of its own thing going on to justify it's existence, and wasn't a bad film taken on its own.

I guess people just wanted it to be as good as the original.
I never saw the new one, but I know a lot of the issue was with the rating. Robocop was a parody of over-the-top violence and action movie cliches. As soon as you take the R rating away from it you lose that element.

They may have gone with a different message in the new one, not sure. But such is the nature of remaking classic films.
__________________


Check out my comics Boris Got Out and Humanity Ltd. through my website! Also found on Facebook and Twitter!


www.badartcomics.com
MattyC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #2999
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Turned out to be a bit of a movie night. Watched Forty Guns (1957), a classic western directed by Samuel Fuller. Would strongly recommend if you don't mind watching a bit of an older film. There's plenty of small imperfections, but the whole is quite entertaining in a grim way. Pretty easy to see how it influenced people like Sergio Leone and Tarantino.
__________________
A threat that brings you pancakes is still a threat.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #3000
Strange Brew
First Line Centre
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

Recently returned from long TransAtlantic flights and caught several movies on the plane. I use to hate watching movies on planes (hard to see and hear), but with the bigger screens and good quality headphones of my own, its not too bad. Plus many films are no longer edited for content it seems.

Lego Batman - I was laughing out loud at several points. Just short enough that the premise and format never got tired, although first 30 minutes were definitely the best.

Split - I had high hopes for this one and I liked it. Tense, well acted, great concept. The last 30 minutes were maybe a bit of a letdown, but I attribute that to my high expectations.

John Wick 2 - my expectations were not high for this, and I really liked it. Just pure adrenaline and fun. The plot made no sense whatsoever but the character interactions were cool.

The Dinner - drama/satire starring Richard Gere and Steve Coogan, among other notables. This should have been better, as the premise was solid and I understand it was based on an acclaimed novel. But the execution was horrible, irritating use of flashbacks and Coogan's character was basically Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm, except that his character had legitimate mental illness. Anyway, I sat through it, but whatever wit and insight the movie was trying to portray were lost on me as I found the characters irritating and the flashbacks boring.

Table 19 - standard romantic comedy, with an OK premise (random people thrown together at a wedding table), but poorly executed and the main plot was entirely predictable. Made bearable by an interesting cast.

Beauty and the Beast - live version. Everyone has probably seen this already. It was superb. Really don't know how they could have done this any better.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016