First Line Centre

Exp:

It's time to bring him in ...... lol
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #62
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whether is is for the Monahan or Bennett line, and whether it is Iginla or Jagr, getting another top 9 forward allows us to slot our lines much more effectively.

kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #63
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Iginla ain't no 1st liner anymore
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #64
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Iginla ain't no 1st liner anymore
Neither is Ferland. Most teams don't have three top players on the top line. That said, he can just as easily move to the Bennett line.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #65
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla would drag down his teammates because of his lack of speed. I don't see where he fits on this team. Maybe as a 4th liner, but if he's playing on the 4th line then probably no point in bringing him in.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #66
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Neither is Ferland. Most teams don't have three top players on the top line. That said, he can just as easily move to the Bennett line.
He can't keep up like Ferland. This team is very fast up front, Iginla will drag any line down. Why can't people let the past go?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #67
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Iginla would drag down his teammates because of his lack of speed. I don't see where he fits on this team. Maybe as a 4th liner, but if he's playing on the 4th line then probably no point in bringing him in.
Yawn. This old thing again?

Not everyone is a speedy Gonzales in the NHL, but they can be good players. Heck, a guy like Monahan is an effective player without being overly fast.

Iginla is not slow. He was never a fast player in his career, yet he got the job done.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #68
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd take Iginla over Glass.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #69
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yawn. This old thing again?

Not everyone is a speedy Gonzales in the NHL, but they can be good players. Heck, a guy like Monahan is an effective player without being overly fast.

Iginla is not slow. He was never a fast player in his career, yet he got the job done.
This is not true. He is slow, quite a bit slower than he was and quite a few steps behind Monahan. He was also a lot younger when he got the job done.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #70
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He can't keep up like Ferland. This team is very fast up front, Iginla will drag any line down. Why can't people let the past go?
I think the idea that Iginla is so plodding that he would drag down the Flames offense is one of those "facts" that people just accept as true without looking into it themselves. In his first game with the Kings vs. Calgary last year, he certainly wasn't fast, but in his goal and assist he had no trouble keeping up with play:

Similarly, he has no trouble moving around the offensive zone in this clip vs. the Canucks;

I also disagree that the team is very fast up front; or at theast that they generate a lot of offense using speed. Gaudreau or another forward may use speed to drive the defense back, but then there's a lot of holding up and waiting for late players.

Watch AC's Monahan highlights from last season... How many time do you think "Iginla would have totally ruined that play"?

No, he doesn't have Ferland's foot speed, and wouldn't be as good a fit on the #1 line if Ferland can play at his top potential game-in and game-out, but he's hardly too slow for the team overall.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #71
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cherry picking highlights isn't a good way to assess a players overall speed. Watch a whole game and it was pretty clear he had a hard time keeping up
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #72
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Cherry picking highlights isn't a good way to assess a players overall speed. Watch a whole game and it was pretty clear he had a hard time keeping up
I have watched whole games. I also have video proof to support the opinion I formed watching whole games.

You have. . . .?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #73
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said it before, but Iginla is NOT a slow player. What he can't do any longer is play long shifts. Manage his ice, and he will never look slow out there. He just doesn't have the stamina to play a 2 minute shift any longer.

I really do believe he would be fine on the 3rd or 4th lines and given some 2nd unit PP time. As long as people don't expect 30 goals a season from him, I really don't think people would find him to be a disappointment at all. Iginla can definitely still contribute under the right circumstances, and needs a relatively deep team and not be one of the guys counted on to generate offence, but rather can still be a very nice complimentary depth piece to finish-off a line.

I think Jagr would be the better fit over-all, but Iginla can definitely contribute to the Flames today in providing depth scoring and policing.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I said it before, but Iginla is NOT a slow player. What he can't do any longer is play long shifts. Manage his ice, and he will never look slow out there. He just doesn't have the stamina to play a 2 minute shift any longer.

I really do believe he would be fine on the 3rd or 4th lines and given some 2nd unit PP time. As long as people don't expect 30 goals a season from him, I really don't think people would find him to be a disappointment at all. Iginla can definitely still contribute under the right circumstances, and needs a relatively deep team and not be one of the guys counted on to generate offence, but rather can still be a very nice complimentary depth piece to finish-off a line.

I think Jagr would be the better fit over-all, but Iginla can definitely contribute to the Flames today in providing depth scoring and policing.
I'm just not sure he would sign for a fourth line role. Or for fourth line money.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 PM   #75
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess Iginla's agent was all BS when he said Iginla is not signed by his own choice.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #76
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I guess Iginla's agent was all BS when he said Iginla is not signed by his own choice.
Maybe not, would you want to see him play for a middle of the pack team like the Islanders
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 AM   #77
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meehan is a lot of things but one of them isn't an BS artist, I would think a few teams have called but after making no less than $5.3m the last number of years Iggy just won't play for cheap, I think he truly believes he should get $3m+ to play for a year.

too much
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #78
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Cherry picking speed over puck sense, being able to read the play and anticipate the play. Will always trump speed.

IMO the debate is still open about Iginla.
Phil1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:02 AM   #79
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Meehan is a lot of things but one of them isn't an BS artist, I would think a few teams have called but after making no less than $5.3m the last number of years Iggy just won't play for cheap, I think he truly believes he should get $3m+ to play for a year.

too much
As long as his will is there. There will be a team and a price.
Phil1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 AM   #80
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Maybe not, would you want to see him play for a middle of the pack team like the Islanders
You mean like playing for the Avalanche for the last three years, then no one showing any interest in him at the trade deadline except for a team already out of the mix?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote