Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems to me, they are just not enforcing it.

Rule 61 – Slashing
61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an
opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick
contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized
as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an
opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s
hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play
the puck, shall be penalized as slashing
Old 04-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #22
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone needs to ask Burke/Treliving at one of the open houses about the state of officiating and all the non-calls. I'm sure they are making calls to the powers that be behind closed doors. But I'd be interested in knowing what other management staff around the league think about it.

I'm honestly surprised that at the GM meetings, no one talks about it. Is it too taboo of a subject to bring up in a room with 31 GMs? Does the NHL declare officiating off limits for discussion? Surely if the fans (not just Flames fans, but NHL fans around the league) see it as a big issue, the GMs/owners must as well. Someone needs to point out the elephant in the room and bring the issue of penalties to the front of the queue.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #23
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
seems to me, they are just not enforcing it.

Rule 61 – Slashing
61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an
opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick
contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized
as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an
opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s
hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play
the puck, shall be penalized as slashing
The big issue with that rule will always be in the judgement of the referee We have seen time and time again what their judgement is worth.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #24
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The big issue with that rule will always be in the judgement of the referee We have seen time and time again what their judgement is worth.
Let's remember that the refs in NHL are the best in hockey. The results are as good as it gets in the situation they're put in.

The refs are asked to do an impossible job, and then piled on when they can't do it.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #25
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is up to the NHL to instruct their officials as to what they would like called. It's very apparent that the league is fine with how the game is currently called. Too bad they don't hear what most fans are saying.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #26
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least they call the important stuff. Like clearing the puck over the glass and knocking a stick out of someone's hand.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #27
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The biggest trouble with slashing is the inconsistency of the calls. Last night was a perfect example of this. You had Gaudreau get slashed on the hands a couple times. No call. Then Bennett slashes the stick out of a Ducks player's hands, didn't break the stick, and there's a call. Then the same thing happens to Gaudreau later in the game, slashed out of the hands, no break. No call. The one time the Flames got a slashing call was when Bennett (I think that's who it was) made a move to the net and took a light slash on the hands. It was an admittedly weak slash to call, especially considering what had been missed all night but maybe it was a make up call or something.

The pendulum could easily swing the other way into an annoying level of calls if you call all of the slashes but players would probably take notice pretty quick and stop slashing. I don't think there's any need to clarify the rule. It's pretty clear what is slashing. I don't think there's much room left for interpretation of a slash but yet here we are.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #28
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Slashing as part of LACROSEE is fine. It is one of the few ways to dislodge the ball from the offense. Lacrosse sticks defiantly have more give when used with force and lacrosse gear is designed to take the slashing.. The upler bosy protection is padded differently.
I am not sure I agree that lacrosse sticks are have more give. I would say it is the opposite, at least all the sticks I have seen. Certainly, my son's stick(s), which are "pro" level sticks.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #29
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The dumbest thing with slashes is that it should be one of the easier calls. It's usually pretty obvious whether or not you're playing the puck. The puck is usually on the ice, not at the height of the other players hands. If the blade of your stick is somewhere around that height, you're probably slashing, hooking or crosschecking and deserve a trip to the penalty box.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Let's remember that the refs in NHL are the best in hockey. The results are as good as it gets in the situation they're put in.

The refs are asked to do an impossible job, and then piled on when they can't do it.
It's impossible to get all the calls right all the time but they are all well versed in the rule book and managing the games is not in their job description yet officials have taken it upon themselves to become game managers for decades now. If they see 30 infractions a game they should call all 30 as that's their sole job yet they pick and choose what they will call and when depending on the score, time of the game, opponents, perpetrator and victim, etc. They have been bad for decades and it's just accepted as part of the game as they don't face the scrutiny from the league like the NFL does with their officials for instance.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #31
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Slashing is now pretty much the same as hooking used to be; the lazy solution for players who can't be arsed to position themselves properly, or who can't keep up.
Yep. The league took away hooking and holding, and players have compensated by using 'tapping' to achieve the same thing - negating the advantages of skilled players.

It probably will take a long-term injury to a marque player to get the league to crack down.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #32
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The dumbest thing with slashes is that it should be one of the easier calls. It's usually pretty obvious whether or not you're playing the puck. The puck is usually on the ice, not at the height of the other players hands. If the blade of your stick is somewhere around that height, you're probably slashing, hooking or crosschecking and deserve a trip to the penalty box.
The rule even states that an attempt without contact is a slash. So the force of the slash doesn't even really matter. You're right, it should be one of the easiest calls in the book.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #33
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
exactly, if players were allowed to carry the puck in their hands, the slashing might make sense.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #34
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Gloves, 1970s:

Today:

Were wrists better protected before? Longer gloves?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #35
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It probably will take a long-term injury to a marque player to get the league to crack down.
someone like.... McDavid, maybe
Old 04-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #36
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's impossible to get all the calls right all the time but they are all well versed in the rule book and managing the games is not in their job description yet officials have taken it upon themselves to become game managers for decades now.
I doubt this is something the referees came up on their own either.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #37
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fight fire with fire.

Slash away.

Make them hurt.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #38
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Someone in a previous thread suggested banning all stick-on-body contact. Sticks are meant for playing the puck -- not to attack or obstruct the players. That would be an interesting experiment.

Any tap on a player's body -- slashing
Any horizontal stick *touching* a player -- hooking
Any horizontal stick used to push another player -- cross-checking.

Some might cry that is going too far, but I wouldn't mind seeing what that kind of hockey would look like. In theory.
This is what it is like in the Spengler Cup. It definitely created many more power plays in the first few games. That being said, after the dust settled, it produced a lot a room for creative plays.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #39
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Gloves, 1970s:

Today:

Were wrists better protected before? Longer gloves?
Do the same thing with elbow pads and you'll see a big difference. I don't have much gap between my elbow pads and "new style" gloves.
I have no issues or concerns aboht wrist protection with my gear.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #40
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's impossible to get all the calls right all the time but they are all well versed in the rule book and managing the games is not in their job description yet officials have taken it upon themselves to become game managers for decades now. If they see 30 infractions a game they should call all 30 as that's their sole job yet they pick and choose what they will call and when depending on the score, time of the game, opponents, perpetrator and victim, etc. They have been bad for decades and it's just accepted as part of the game as they don't face the scrutiny from the league like the NFL does with their officials for instance.
Game management is 100% in the referee manuals. Influencing game outcome is to be avoided but as a referee we manage games all the time