Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff Thread

Fans of The Simpsons: Tapped out and Family Guy the TV series, your wait is over. Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff mobile game was released today and is, as far as I can tell, available for download on both Android and iPhone.

After getting this news in The Simpsons: Tapped Out thread I immediately downloaded this. Anyone else try it out yet?

A little more entertaining in the front end stuff. So far all the characters I have (Peter, Bonnie, Chris, Quagmire, and Jerome) are voiced apart from the migrant worker that builds/cleans/upgrades everything. The animated shorts are neat, and the quests are introduced and progressed through funny character interactions.

It's quite different from The Simpsons game, and because I'm used to that one I get a little hung-up on the style of this one. The tutorial could be a little more in depth, and I don't like the system for assigning tasks to characters. It looks like, as Bobobla mentioned in the other thread, that the only friends you can add are through Facebook. And one of the starting quests asks you to buy clams with real world money, which are this game's premium currency.

Just scratching the surface so far. Any thoughts from others who have the game?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 06-01-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I got it and I don't think I'll be playing it for a couple of reasons. First off, needing Facebook to add friends is pretty much a deal-breaker because I don't have an account.

I've resisted the temptation to play Tapped Out because I've heard how addictive it can be, but I've taken the plunge because I want to build Springfield. It's always felt like it could be an actual place, and it's as important to the show as any of the characters. You can't say the same for Quahog.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay finally
Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems a little more dependant on spending real money than simpsons. I will give it a whirl but I am not sure if it is a keeper...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Osker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

It seems interesting enough. I'm hoping that the golden clams will come reasonably frequently from visiting friends. At least the jokes are decent so far.

In time they may change the Facebook only friends thing. I'm sure there will be negative feedback on that aspect of the game.
Osker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely feels a little clunky compared to The Simpsons, but Tapped Out has at least 18 months on this game.

Jokes and interactions are fun.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Osker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The costume idea is pretty neat. I'm sure collecting the rare components will be tedious but at least there's something to work towards
Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah needs a fair bit of polishing but I love family guy so I'm having fun. Need friends though and I don't want to spam FB for it.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that will probably kill the game for me is having an open quest that requires me to spend real money. I am OCD on my quests and like to close them out, but I have no desire to spend cash to get rid of a quest.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Another thing that I don't like is not being sure everyone is on a task. The characters will walk behind a building and I won't see them to send them on a task thus making them useless for the couple hours until I come back

At least in the Simpsons they show the people not on a task in the top corner.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
One thing that will probably kill the game for me is having an open quest that requires me to spend real money. I am OCD on my quests and like to close them out, but I have no desire to spend cash to get rid of a quest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Another thing that I don't like is not being sure everyone is on a task. The characters will walk behind a building and I won't see them to send them on a task thus making them useless for the couple hours until I come back

Yep, 2 big issues I am having with the game as well. Assigning tasks is a pain in the rear, and notifications only come up if a building is complete or ALL character tasks are done.

There was an update today, which is promising that they might be as involved in keeping things up to date as the folks running S:TO. I'm not checking into this game nearly as often as I am The Simpsons.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 04-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Osker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post

Let's not forget that Tapped Out didn't have a character finder for the first year+ of its existence. It's very handy, but players made do for a very long time before it was implemented
Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #13
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osker View Post
Let's not forget that Tapped Out didn't have a character finder for the first year+ of its existence. It's very handy, but players made do for a very long time before it was implemented
Interesting, I only got Tapped Out over the Christmas break. Perhaps that's a feature they are looking into.

I just received a notification in-game that their social features will be shut down for 1-2 weeks for reassessment/re-evaluation. Hopefully they are exploring expanding the friend feature beyond Facebook.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Interesting, I only got Tapped Out over the Christmas break. Perhaps that's a feature they are looking into.

I just received a notification in-game that their social features will be shut down for 1-2 weeks for reassessment/re-evaluation. Hopefully they are exploring expanding the friend feature beyond Facebook.
I was at first upset about the facebook thing, but realized it's pretty much all they have right now... of course I'm unclear as to how they will implement anything else. With Simpson's being an EA game they have origin which handles everything. It'll be interesting.

I played the game for a week, then got bored and uninstalled it. I might go back to it later on.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #15
Osker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I seem to remember the character finder coming out around halloween but I could be out to lunch. It isn't too bad to manage a few characters without. In the future I can see them adding it though.

It wouldn't be surprising to see the friend system changed from Facebook only when it comes back online. That was a pretty common complaint.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #16
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is too much reliance on spending cash on this game. Even the tasks they tell you to do require it. I was told to build the pharmacy and clear some land but both cost clams. Now those tasks will sit there, taking up space until I delete the game, which will happen long before I pay any money for a game like this.

You can go much further in Tapped Out without feeling you're playing a free version of it.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Osker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I've built the pharmacy and cleared many land parcels without spending any real money. I think you may be mistaken
Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #18
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osker View Post
I've built the pharmacy and cleared many land parcels without spending any real money. I think you may be mistaken
Same. So far I have had one task that has required me to spend money. And unless they update the game to get rid of that, that task will most likely sit there for eternity. It was just so jarring because at no point has The Simpsons required me to spend real-world money to complete a task.

If it were "Buy a box of clams (instead of coins) and get a free box of clams" then I would probably do it. But there is no way I am spending money on something I can earn quite easily in the game.

The only thing I can think is that burnin_vernon is attempting to build the Pharmacy or clear land while the worker is busy doing something else. For some reason in this game you can only build or expand one thing at a time, and in order to do more you have to upgrade your immigrant worker (for clams, of course).

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The only thing I can think is that burnin_vernon is attempting to build the Pharmacy or clear land while the worker is busy doing something else. For some reason in this game you can only build or expand one thing at a time, and in order to do more you have to upgrade your immigrant worker (for clams, of course).
That's exactly it.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #20
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

What level is everyone at?

Without buying clams or coins with casual playing, I just hit level 19.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic chicken fight , family guy , game , victory is mine