Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #21
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Try downloading the drivers for that model first, then get back into Device Manger, hit up Network adapters, and then see what it says for Link Speed. It may have to be done from the driver suite that comes with it as well. What model RealTek is that?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #22
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Wow....I don't have that option. I see most of the options in your list but not all of them.

This is a realtek NIC, I've heard a number of times they blow. Wonder if I should buy a dedicated card.
Yeah each card will have different options listed based on the driver. I agree I'd try updating the driver.

realtek isn't that bad, but that's an option too; get an Intel card and see if it's different . I'm a fan of answering the question by changing the question, and for the cost of a card is probably less than the time you've already spent.

At the very least it would be more debugging info.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This is a very obsfucated problem to diagnose based on the limited information provided. I'd run the process on the XP machine and then on the Win7 machine and monitor process monitor and performance monitor and network monitoring tools during the process and compare what is happening to see where the latency/hanging is occuring. Does the application have logging or a debugging mode? Contact the vendor to find out how to retrieve that.

I doubt it has anything do with the network card and settings. Most of the consumer stuff is pretty sure fire today. Maybe if you provided more information on how the network is set up, where the mapped drives are, where the data is coming from (coming from the insurers outside?)
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #24
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok....checked the drivers, they are up to date
I did find where to change the speed, set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex, no change
Remembered another machine is using Intel NIC and a Dlink stand alone. Tried both cards, changed speeds on both cards, no change.

I'm gonna have to try Hack&Lubs's suggestion, see if that helps.

Just talked to another guy in the office using Win7, he said he noticed the hang in archiving a couple of weeks ago, didn't tell me. The only thing I can think of that we did 2 weeks ago was a change to group policy.

This is where my expertise starts to fall off. The change made to group policy was I wasn't seeing all network drives under my credentials. Our network guy says he updated group policy to fix that, don't know the details. All I know is I can now see all network drives when logged in as me.

The only thing I know for sure is this problem is unique to Win7 machines.

H&L:

I'll try filling in those questions best I can:
Our network is setup as a domain.
Mapped drives all point to the 1 server.
We also employ desktop re-direct.
All machines are basically dummies. Only things installed locally are Office and client side files for our quoting software and agency manager which are minimal.
The only external data for the agency manager is the daily policy updates but that part works fine.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but that's what I know basically.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 07-25-2014 at 04:44 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #25
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

The easiest way to test for network issues is to copy some large files around. Something 1GB or larger. Let us know how long it takes. It should be around 10 - 12 seconds or better per 1GB.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote