Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #981
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I’d do 6 years for tkachuk but not 5. Hoping for 8 seems ambitious to me
I'm not even sure I like 8 year contracts any more. Sure, for a McDavid or a Matthews it's a good thing, but for 90% of players, who even knows what the situations will be by then? Tkachuk is very very good, but not a franchise player IMO, and he has a skill set that could deteriorate, injuries could slow him, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #982
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
with teams like the leafs waiting for the season to start so they can get the extra cap space from LTIR, I think an offer sheet still isn't out of the question. I'm guessing the leafs are going to throw all kinds of money at whatever term Marner wants as soon as they have the space because they can't make the space right now. If a team were to sign Marner to an offer sheet that has to be matched right before the season starts, it would really put the leafs in a tough spot. On day 2 of the season, the leafs will have 13 mill in cap space but have none right now, they wouldn't be able to match an offer sheet without gutting the team.

I really hope a team like the habs throw an offer sheet at Point or Marner just in time to screw over a team like Tampa or Toronto.
Leafs can use that LTIR any time they want. Even in the summer. If Manner right now said he will sign the Leafs sign Manner and move those contracts to LTIR.

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq#offseason
Old 09-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #983
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm not even sure I like 8 year contracts any more. Sure, for a McDavid or a Matthews it's a good thing, but for 90% of players, who even knows what the situations will be by then? Tkachuk is very very good, but not a franchise player IMO, and he has a skill set that could deteriorate, injuries could slow him, etc.
If a very good (although not franchise) comes up to UFA quite early (as all these RFA"s want to do), your choice will be to sign them to an 8 year contract or trade them a year early or lose them to UFA, as some team will give them maximum years.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #984
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Eric Francis @EricFrancis
First bad sign in the Matthew Tkachuk contract situation - he is not in town to join his teammates in the Flames golf tourney tomorrow. Not unexpected given his situation as an RFA, but his absence makes the standstill feel real.

Ugh, so Francis really is still around.

Guy takes every situation and tries to find the drama in it
Old 09-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #985
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If a very good (although not franchise) comes up to UFA quite early (as all these RFA"s want to do), your choice will be to sign them to an 8 year contract or trade them a year early or lose them to UFA, as some team will give them maximum years.
I agree it's a choice. But it's rapidly not becoming mine. A very good player approaching UFA gets you the same return a year early as the do with a longer contract. Unless that player is declining, which might happen.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #986
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree it's a choice. But it's rapidly not becoming mine. A very good player approaching UFA gets you the same return a year early as the do with a longer contract. Unless that player is declining, which might happen.
But if Calgary is in serious contention, it would be hard to flip a young star while going for the SC for a return that is likely futures.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #987
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But if Calgary is in serious contention, it would be hard to flip a young star while going for the SC for a return that is likely futures.
"If" is doing a lot of work for 6 years down the road. And if that's the case, then re-sign him, maybe even an extension a year or so in advance.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #988
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Vegas dropped 23 goals from their magic first season.

In Vegas year 1 Karlsson had 43 regular season goals followed up by 7 playoff goals. He was the #17 best centre in the nhl.com rankings. He was a RFA and got a 1 year x 5.25 bridge deal.

Had he been a UFA last season (or Vegas signed him long term) he would have been a 8x8 guy at the very least.

He followed up his 50 goal season with a 26 goal season.

He signed with Vegas this off season for 5.9 x 8 (1 RFA year)

If Tkachuck (or any of the other 8 super RFAs) sign for 8M+ for 6-8 years and then have good 55-60 pt season (2nd in their teams scoring) will Treliving and the other GMs get fired for 2M+ x 8 overpayment?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #989
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

In Vegas year 1 Karlsson had 43 regular season goals followed up by 7 playoff goals. He was the #17 best centre in the nhl.com rankings. He was a RFA and got a 1 year x 5.25 bridge deal.

Had he been a UFA last season (or Vegas signed him long term) he would have been a 8x8 guy at the very least.

If Tkachuck (or any of the other 8 super RFAs) sign for 8M+ for 6-8 years and then have good 55-60 pt season (2nd in their teams scoring) will Treliving and the other GMs get fired for 2M+ x 8 overpayment?
Good points, but Karlsson was a obvious choice to regress, since his shooting % was (IIRC) close to 30%.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #990
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

Even with regression I'm guessing all the deals will turn out to be positive with the US tv money possibly exploding in three years. Cap goes up by a leap and suddenly $8M or $8.5M become steals.

And if you're firing GMs based on a player taking a step back there could be 31 job openings soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #991
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good points, but Karlsson was a obvious choice to regress, since his shooting % was (IIRC) close to 30%.
Yeah, only a fool would have handed him a huge long term deal after one stellar season when he'd scored under 10 goals each of the the previous two. Tkachuk has shown steady progression.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #992
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want a long-term contract because I’m two seasons the US TV contract will be renewed and my understanding is that will lead to a jump in the salary cap.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #993
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m guessing Tkachuk and his agent are clued into this US TV contract renegotiation leading to a jump in revenues.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #994
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If what is being discussed in CBA negotiations comes to fruition, there will be no significant cap increases.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #995
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If what is being discussed in CBA negotiations comes to fruition, there will be no significant cap increases.
Yeah I read a few tweets, it sounds like they're looking at potentially locking the cap for years at a time to avoid escrow?

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-05-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:58 AM   #996
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah I read a few tweets, it sounds like they're looking at potentially locking the cap for years at a time to avoid escrow?
To mitigate escrow they are talking about either locking the salary cap or capping a salary cap increase by a % or $ amount.

Either way, they are discussing decoupling revenue increases to the salary cap until escrow becomes more manageable from the players' perspective
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #997
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Re: Karlsson

Comparing a guy with a single anomalous spike in his career to a guy that entered the league at 18, has shown consistent upward progress each year, and is still four years away from entering his prime?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #998
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
To mitigate escrow they are talking about either locking the salary cap or capping a salary cap increase by a % or $ amount.

Either way, they are discussing decoupling revenue increases to the salary cap until escrow becomes more manageable from the players' perspective
Wasn’t the whole point of the cap that it was supposed to be a 50/50 split of revenue? Now the players want to detach it from revenue in order to lessen effects of escrow? Wouldn't that just enable a potential split in the owners favour?

I mean it’s possible I’m over-simplifying and or missing something, but right now I’m wondering what the big fight was all about during the lockout.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #999
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, only a fool would have handed him a huge long term deal after one stellar season when he'd scored under 10 goals each of the the previous two. Tkachuk has shown steady progression.
Do you see Tkachuk ever scoring 43 + 7 goals in a season?

It is interesting that Karlsson in his non-stellar season that resulted in his 5.9x 8 had 24 goals and 56 pts both 2nd highest totals on a playoff team. His 18:50 lead all Vegas forwards..... he plays the PP and kills penalties.

His off season was better than Tkachuk's other 2 seasons.

Would it be shocking if Tkachuk falls back from his 77 pt 34 goal season? He has only played at that level one stellar season.

On last year's Flames team their best player put up 74 pts Will he "regress" to 56 points.... his career high up until last year.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #1000
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be good for the league, Fans, players, agents if the miss the season date were moved from December 1 to the date that the team that owns their playing rights plays it's 10th game.
Closed Thread