Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #21
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure what the new deal entails, but previously drafted plans don't have Southland extended to the ring road, but rather, extended to allow for development of reserve lands. (Into shopping or housing, I don't know.) See below.

I, for one, wouldn't be pleased with that if I lived in Oakridge/Cedarbrae. Probably not good for property values.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...UNC-BOARD3.pdf
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #22
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post
I'm not sure what the new deal entails, but previously drafted plans don't have Southland extended to the ring road, but rather, extended to allow for development of reserve lands. (Into shopping or housing, I don't know.) See below.

I, for one, wouldn't be pleased with that if I lived in Oakridge/Cedarbrae. Probably not good for property values.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...UNC-BOARD3.pdf
Again, they knew about it when they moved in.

I live in woodbine near the 37th/anderson part that was built up 5 years ago. Boo hoo.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #23
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post

Uh, "small mammal crossings"? Didn't we learn enough from those covered bridges in Banff?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #24
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Uh, "small mammal crossings"? Didn't we learn enough from those covered bridges in Banff?
Yeah, we learned that they work. The animal crossings in Banff "paved the way" for these crossings to be developed all over north america.

Study from 2005 (Click "Do they work?")

From another article...

Quote:
But highway construction creates larger problems of degraded habitat and “the barrier effect that reduces landscape connectivity,” Forman says. When roads and freeways chop a species’ territory up, they create a host of problems for the animals, who need freedom of movement to find food and mates, escape predators and make seasonal migrations.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #25
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bronco is in charge of getting this done, it should start in about 2096.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
Yeah, cause he really dropped the ball in getting the Glenmore/Elbow interchange off the ground...
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #27
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
As a guy that lives in the deep SW of the city - this can't happen soon enough.
and it won't... not until at least 2013.

I like how the article even says "yeah we've discussed lots and made huge steps, but it's not like we're breaking ground this summer.. or even next summer".

Call me a complete skeptic but I'm sure something else will come up and they'll be back to the table.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #28
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-fart View Post
Actually, all this construction really benefits his friends in construction. That's where he started off. Bronco's actions are pork barrel politics to a tee.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think it's a provincially funded project, so it'll be Stelmach that hands out the pork.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #30
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So will the city be able to charge out of town parasites to use this road too?

greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #31
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
As a guy that lives in the deep SW of the city - this can't happen soon enough.

Can't agree more, i already use the indian back roads too often, i always think ill get busted one of these days.

As to the OP, the SW is no shelbyville
TSXCman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #32
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Can't agree more, i already use the indian back roads too often, i always think ill get busted one of these days.

As to the OP, the SW is no shelbyville
It is illegal to drive on reservation roads? I used to do business in Morley all the time and I never had any issues at all (other than getting paid, but thats another topic).
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #33
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I don't know if there are any realtors/serious real estate players on here, but what do you think this means for property values in communities like Woodbine, Shawnessy, Cedabrae, Braeside, etc?
The houses closest to the noise barrier will suffer short term and lose value. Of course, what they wont tell you is that those houses were originally bought for a slight discount in anticipation of this road getting built. The rest of the houses in those areas will become the coveted properties that our kids are buying, suiteing off, subdividing and profiting from.

This is one of those situations where you're weighing six of one against a half dozen of the other. Want great access? Buy here. Want tranquility? Buy here. I'm sure people screamed bloody murder when Crowchild cut a great swath between Killarney and South Calgary.

In the not-so-long run, those houses will be worth just as much as ever. Suburbia with great access to the rest of the city. Pretty much the same as what yuppies are eating up in Hillhurst and Altadore. Right? So what's the downfall to having a property that backs on to this evil highway? A huge yard across your nice street that has a giant brick sound barrier? Boo hoo! Now your kids and dog get to frolick in plain view, in an area that is ridiculously safe because there is a 10 foot wall and a 30 foot greenspace across a street that nobody drives on because it's a cul de sac?

If you ask the people whose houses backed on to that treed area that existed before 37th got paved into the backyards of Woodbine whether they wanna go back to the way it was, I'll bet you that the only people that say yes are over the age of 70.

If you're foolish enough to buy along a future route and then get pissed when it comes to fruition, too bad for you. I guarantee that for every one of you, there are a dozen people that want the road built. Suburban Calgary is dendritic. Collector roads are already few enough and farther between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
It is illegal to drive on reservation roads?
Yeah. If you're not first nation. Unless you're there to do business. Of course, some people still use their roads. Just give them respect if you do.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I just hope this stall's Calgary's outward growth and we can start building up instead of out.
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #35
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I just hope this stall's Calgary's outward growth and we can start building up instead of out.
with easier than ever access to all 4 corners of the city, i'd assume this would speed up the flat growth rather than slow it down
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #36
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
with easier than ever access to all 4 corners of the city, i'd assume this would speed up the flat growth rather than slow it down
Totally agree, the city has a bunch of undeveloped land that's West of Evergreen but is holding subdivision development on until there is better access. If they built on it now the increased traffic on Macleod would be brutal. Once the ring road is completed there will be good access to Glenmore and the connectors north of that interchange for downtown commuters. Making it a little more desirable.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #37
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Given that the city is already extended beyond the ring road on two sides, and virtually on a third if you count the Balzac megamall, your answer is no. There is no barrier created here, psychological or otherwise.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #38
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Yeah. If you're not first nation. Unless you're there to do business. Of course, some people still use their roads. Just give them respect if you do.
I have a dreamcatcher hanging from my rear view mirror. Should be more than enough!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #39
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We all know that the ring road on the reserve will never get done.
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #40
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
On a side note, anyone know when the portion of NW ring road between Sarcee and Simons Valley will open? That'll shave a good 10 minutes off my commute.
Quoting myself here because of this news release:

Quote:
Travellers' Advisory

July 10, 2009
Portion of Stoney Trail NW ring road opens in Calgary

Calgary... Motorists are advised that Stoney Trail NW is open to traffic from Sarcee Trail NW to Harvest Hills Boulevard NW.

Motorists may use the seven-kilometre stretch of new road, the interchange at Beddington Trail NW, and the signalized intersection at Harvest Hills Boulevard NW.
This newly-opened section is part of a larger project to extend the Stoney Trail NW ring road from Country Hills Boulevard NW to Deerfoot Trail (Highway 2). Stoney Trail NW will fully open to Deerfoot Trail by the fall of 2009.

Visit www.transportation.alberta.ca/804.htm for more information on Stoney Trail NW and other sections of the Calgary ring road.

-30-

http://alberta.ca/home/NewsFrame.cfm...54D479CDB.html
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote