Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #41
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
But then if you only get dinged what you used anyways why would you ever pay? You'd either get away with it or just pay the same as normal.
That's why I like the lots where you pay when you leave. Only pay what you used and no easy way to get out for free

At the end of the day private companies aren't allowed to fine people, and that's a good thing. The fact that these parking companies try to get around that and do it anyway is scummy to me

Last edited by btimbit; 05-08-2019 at 04:44 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I should clarify, I'm not talking about stealing it outright. To me that's the parking version of dining and dashing.

What I mean is say I pay $10 to park for an hour, but end up being there for a little longer than that and get a ticket. I legally owe the parking lot another $10, not $100, despite whatever extortion they want to use to try and make an even bigger profit.
Yup, that sucks. I'm fine with paying, but you should pay for the time you use, at the time of day you use it. This guessing how long you need to pay for, then panicking as you watch the clock tick closer to BIG FINE TIME is really annoying. Obviously they have no interest in implementing a system like that, but they'd have a lot more happy customers and a lot fewer "never gonna pay it" tickets. I hold a special rage in my heart every time I enter the hospital parking lots for this reason.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #43
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be alright with them just making the 'fine' the fee of parking for the whole day, rather than some completely made up amount.
Right. Just like if you're caught on the LRT without a ticket the "fine" should be $3.40 instead of $200. That's not how it works, you charge x for something and expect almost everyone will pay x because if they don't they will be charged a lot more than x.

In OP's case since he is now paying for monthly parking, I would suggest offering them a settlement of the 50% the gf paid.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smartcar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #44
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
Right. Just like if you're caught on the LRT without a ticket the "fine" should be $3.40 instead of $200. That's not how it works, you charge x for something and expect almost everyone will pay x because if they don't they will be charged a lot more than x.

In OP's case since he is now paying for monthly parking, I would suggest offering them a settlement of the 50% the gf paid.
Can't really compare them, Calgary transit isn't a private business and their fines are issued by actual peace officers. The point is a private company can't fine people.

Edit: Also, this isn't just my opinion, it's what the courts have decided

Last edited by btimbit; 05-08-2019 at 07:30 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's why I like the lots where you pay when you leave. Only pay what you used and no easy way to get out for free

At the end of the day private companies aren't allowed to fine people, and that's a good thing. The fact that these parking companies try to get around that and do it anyway is scummy to me
Their worst offence is making their demand (which is all it is) look like some sort of official ticket.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote