Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #1101
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I started playing RDR2 but I'll admit, I'm struggling to get into the game. It's really pretty and I really enjoyed the first game, but I'm finding this one kinda complicated. Little things keep happening in the game that are kinda pissing me off because of how "real" they're trying to make the game (like I ran my horse off a very small drop off and the horse died - I'm not yet sure how to get a new one). I'm also finding it really hard to figure out what quests I'm on and how to navigate things in general (I still can't find a list of my active quests - only ones I've completed). I was just standing around in an O'Driscoll camp for example and then a bounty went up on my head seemingly randomly, and I was killed. Another thing that's happened a couple times is an option pops up to "aim gun" and when I tap the button, it just automatically shoots the person instead of aiming and my cover is totally blown.

Does anyone have any tips to get into this game?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #1102
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The controls are what kept me from really loving it. I'm holding out hope for a PC version
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #1103
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who's got some recommendations for wicked turn-based strategy games? I keep getting addicted to these effing things.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #1104
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Who's got some recommendations for wicked turn-based strategy games? I keep getting addicted to these effing things.
I'd like to know what you've played so far in case I've missed something.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #1105
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I'd like to know what you've played so far in case I've missed something.
Civ series
XCOM
Total War: Rome
Crusader Kings II
Stellaris
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #1106
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I played RDR2 before Witcher 3, which I've only just started. For me, Witcher 3 controls are way worse than RDR2, which I wasn't expecting at all. Still a good game, but the controls are awful to me. Getting on the damn horse is 50/50 at best it seems, want to pick some plants? Too late should have hit A in the 0.15 seconds when you had the chance. Now you have to awkwardly walk backwards until the prompt appears again. Getting into a boat is comical as well.

To me you can tell way more time was put into making RDR2 as deliberate and accurate as possible. Both are great games overall though.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #1107
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I played RDR2 before Witcher 3, which I've only just started. For me, Witcher 3 controls are way worse than RDR2, which I wasn't expecting at all. Still a good game, but the controls are awful to me. Getting on the damn horse is 50/50 at best it seems, want to pick some plants? Too late should have hit A in the 0.15 seconds when you had the chance. Now you have to awkwardly walk backwards until the prompt appears again. Getting into a boat is comical as well.

To me you can tell way more time was put into making RDR2 as deliberate and accurate as possible. Both are great games overall though.
I did the opposite actually and played The Witcher 3 first. Totally loved it and I essentially always knew what I needed to do next to advance the story.

I'm finding the exact opposite for RDR2, where I'm essentially at a loss over and over. The controls are complicated in RDR2 and I'm actually finding them harder to figure out than The Witcher 3. I'm not ready to quit on it yet, but it's not exactly drawing me in so far. Maybe I just prefer games with a bit less "reality"?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #1108
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Agree that both are great games, and both had bad and annoying controls.

As for Kybosh's question, someone probably made a good youtube video on helpful tips for starting out that don't contain any major spoilers. Alternatively, just power through the first 10 or 15 hours of game play and you'll start to get the hang of things.

One thing I ended up doing early was look up how to get a good horse. There is a wild Arabian you can get with a bit of work in the early stages of the game, if you know where to look, and having an elite horse saves you a lot of time throughout the game. I won't spoil the location in case you don't want to know, but I would recommend getting it.
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #1109
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Civ series
XCOM
Total War: Rome
Crusader Kings II
Stellaris

XCOM 2 (If you haven't played it yet)

Invisible Inc.
Battletech
Darkest Dungeon
The Banner Saga
Total War: Shogun 2 (Probably the best TW)
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #1110
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Good recommendations. I was just about to start another playthrough of Battletech.

Really looking forward to the new Total War in a few weeks
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #1111
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Endless Space 2 (kinda like Civ meets Stellaris)
Wasteland 2 (Fallout meets X-Com)
Mutant Year Zero (X-Com meets talking ducks)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #1112
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Darkest Dungeon
I was playing the other day and banged my desk so hard in frustration that it activated the fall detection on my Apple watch. I love the game but I'll never get over how brutal it is.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #1113
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Three words:

Into the Breach.

I’m not even typically that in to those types of games but I took a chance on it and absolutely loved it
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #1114
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Three words:

Into the Breach.

I’m not even typically that in to those types of games but I took a chance on it and absolutely loved it
Was just about to recommend this. Bought it on my Switch because they don't have a Switch or tablet version of FTL (same developer) to play on flights in and out of Hawaii the other week and holy #### is it good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #1115
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah but this isn't the same Bioware. Most of the creative minds that developed BG, KOTOR, ME, Neverwinter Nights are long gone.

The one thing I would put on EA is forcing all of their companies to use Frostbite. It was designed for FPS games by Dice and from what I understand, is not very intuitive.

But in saying that, if people are leaving then it comes down to the local management team. And by all accounts, Bioware Edmonton is a mess. Casey Hudson is apparently back so maybe he can help right the ship. If anyone feels the inclination, this is a long but very interesting read.

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anth...ong-1833731964
Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #1116
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I was playing the other day and banged my desk so hard in frustration that it activated the fall detection on my Apple watch. I love the game but I'll never get over how brutal it is.

I think the toughest part is coming to grips with the fact that your people are completely expendable.
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #1117
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interestingly, EA has blown away investor expectations this quarter with the surprise success of Apex, even though other games flopped.

Also of note, Respawn claims they keep EA at arms length for development and process, and that they consider themselves independent of EA and only use their platform (Origin). Apex, like Titanfall 1 & 2, uses a heavily modified Source engine, rather than Frostbite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #1118
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

XCOM Video Game Logo:

Actual NASA Space Technology Program Houston 6 (STP-H6) X-ray Communication (XCOM)

https://techport.nasa.gov/view/94821

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #1119
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
XCOM 2 (If you haven't played it yet)

Invisible Inc.
Battletech
Darkest Dungeon
The Banner Saga
Total War: Shogun 2 (Probably the best TW)

Master of Orion Conquor the Stars is really addicting for me as a turn based 4x

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #1120
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I find both games have a learning curve for the controls but once into the game and master combat you forget about the controls in the Witcher while in RDR2 there were some things that I questioned right to the end such as weapons management and the way they just made it too easy to accidentally shoot at regular people that you intended to help due to the control structure. Both games were masterpieces IMO but both studios would be wise to pay a bit more attention to more user friendly controls in future releases.

I'm also struggling a bit with Sekiro as the Dark Souls engine wasn't exactly tailored for quick twitch action jumping around with a samurai sword. Still love the game though.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote