Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #21
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing displays innocence like running away to Vietnam. Good job on catching him by the authorities there. How would the authorities have even known about him? Did he get flagged on the flight and Canadian authorities were able to alert the Vietnamese police?

Every time I travel somewhere, I always think about how it easy it would be to disappear and ask myself how could anyone find me here. I'm always fascinated how the authorities are able to work together and catch someone like this.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #22
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Nothing displays innocence like running away to Vietnam. Good job on catching him by the authorities there. How would the authorities have even known about him? Did he get flagged on the flight and Canadian authorities were able to alert the Vietnamese police?

Every time I travel somewhere, I always think about how it easy it would be to disappear and ask myself how could anyone find me here. I'm always fascinated how the authorities are able to work together and catch someone like this.

Been a couple of years. Canada probably sent out a worldwide memo to look for such a guy.

He's actually dumb to travel to a communist place like Vietnam which has more paperwork, police and bureaucracy. I've been to Vietnam once and just at the airport the passport stamping is done by "RCMP" equivalent, not airport security. Plus at hotels and hostels the police get a record everyday of who checked in and checked out. The hotel holds your passport until you leave.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #23
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If he was caught in Vietnam by local authorities, was Interpol investment at all?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Been a couple of years. Canada probably sent out a worldwide memo to look for such a guy.

He's actually dumb to travel to a communist place like Vietnam which has more paperwork, police and bureaucracy. I've been to Vietnam once and just at the airport the passport stamping is done by "RCMP" equivalent, not airport security. Plus at hotels and hostels the police get a record everyday of who checked in and checked out. The hotel holds your passport until you leave.
That man will have no use for communists in his future!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #25
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually thinking the opposite. How he managed to stay free for so long. Presuming that is he hadn't obtained a new identity.

I'm assuming his passport would record that he left Canada. If so how would that be possible if he had a Canada wide warrant?

Also curious as to how he was getting his cash and if he was using cash only?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #26
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was probably staying with family of friend's, and the warrant wasn't in place until he was already gone.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #27
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm pretty sure when you leave Canada there's no "official" record that you did so other than the flight manifest. The airlines use your passport for identification purposes but you don't go through any outbound government passport control like you do in countries in this region. In Canada, if you get past the check-in agent, I imagine you could escape the country.

But I wonder how he managed to get through any other country's borders once he arrived. There are no direct flights from Canada to Vietnam so he'd have to land somewhere else first. By the time he completed an overseas flight, you'd think Canadian authorities would be aware he skipped out on house arrest and might send out some kind of alert.

Maybe someone more well-versed in international law enforcement would have more to offer than my speculation. But I find it interesting!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
I'm actually thinking the opposite. How he managed to stay free for so long. Presuming that is he hadn't obtained a new identity.

I'm assuming his passport would record that he left Canada. If so how would that be possible if he had a Canada wide warrant?

Also curious as to how he was getting his cash and if he was using cash only?
He could have been working a cash job somewhere in Thailand under an assumed identity too.

I'm assuming that law enforcement caught him while he was communicating with friends/family back home. That could have included a cash transfer.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #29
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Bondsman
so how exactly does a bail bond work? do we think the dad is out any money in a situation like this?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #30
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
so how exactly does a bail bond work? do we think the dad is out any money in a situation like this?
Yeah he's out 100k from a potential 150k bail.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #31
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
This is not a bail bond situation (which incidentally bail for profit business is criminal obstruction in Canada - see section 139 of the Criminal Code). The father paid a $50,000.00 cash deposit and then allowed a $100,000.00 charge against his equity in his home as the rest of the security to back the release of his son.

After an accused breaches bail conditions, an estreatment hearing is held to determine what is forfeited. The result here was a bit of a break for the father but in the end the judge ordered $100,000.00 forfeited.

Likely the $50,000.00 cash was just kept with an order providing timelines / conditions for the remaining $50,000.00 to be paid. Regardless this is real dollar value being forfeited, not just some administration fee or insurance premium.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #32
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, he likely ruined his parents' lives twice.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
So, he likely ruined his parents' lives twice.
Man, if that was my Kid Dog the Bounty Hunter would have to get in line.

I'd be hunting him down myself and hauling his ass back here myself.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #34
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always assume in a case like this the parents were involved. even at least by helping him leave the country and by getting money to him.
I would bet the parents kept in touch with him.

for some people nothing is more important than their kid. not even the $100,000
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #35
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I always assume in a case like this the parents were involved. even at least by helping him leave the country and by getting money to him.
I would bet the parents kept in touch with him.

for some people nothing is more important than their kid. not even the $100,000
What? I highly doubt that. Nobody I've ever met has parents that would help them skip the country for stabbing and murdering someone in a bar fight. That's one of the most shameful things your kid can do, and helping them escape justice is just a tier above it, plus it's a criminal act.

No way his parents helped him, and if they did, they're going to be sharing a cell with the guy.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #36
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
What? I highly doubt that. Nobody I've ever met has parents that would help them skip the country for stabbing and murdering someone in a bar fight. That's one of the most shameful things your kid can do, and helping them escape justice is just a tier above it, plus it's a criminal act.

No way his parents helped him, and if they did, they're going to be sharing a cell with the guy.
There's lots of stories about parents that help their criminal kids. First high profile case that comes to mind is the extent that Burke Ramsey's parents went to help after what he did to his sister.

Locally, look at Ryan Jenkin's father who continued to proclaim the innocence of his son after Ryan murdered Jasmine Fiore.

I think until youre put in the situation, you dont know what lengths you will go to for your children.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #37
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know what happened in this case, but it happens quite often. If the parents were involved, I hope they are charged and convicted as well.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #38
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

you don't know that.

not saying it's an everyday thing, but it does happen. more often for lower level crimes, but you do see cases where it's violent crimes and murder.

a google search will give you plenty of stories.

look a the way some kids are raised. it can't be a surprise that some families are messed up when it comes to responsibility.
even in this case. I bet a parent could convince themselves that their kid wasn't a big part of it and it was someone else's fault. or it was the drugs talking, or any rationalization that it wasn't their baby's fault.

Ethan Couch is an example. he was captured a couple years after he ran, in mexico with his mother.
which leads us to affluenza" which I'm sure that some well to do families in Calgary have kids that are "affected" by it.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 02-13-2018 at 07:30 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #39
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
There's lots of stories about parents that help their criminal kids. First high profile case that comes to mind is the extent that Burke Ramsey's parents went to help after what he did to his sister.

Did you just solve the JonBenet case?
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:32 PM   #40
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it will be interesting to see if the police can detect any signs of the parents helping the kid in this case. if they do, I hope that the parents are charged.