Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #201
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus god damn Christ, this guy is such a turd.

@jordanbpeterson
9h9 hours ago
More
With all the accusations of sex assault emerging (eg Louis CK) we are going to soon remember why sex was traditionally enshrined in marriage...
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #202
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
I don't know about his wife, but my wife is a grown woman capable of making her own decisions.
Wait can I get your address?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #203
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What is your address?

I want to stop by and ask your wife a question.
If my wife is in a situation with you in your hotel room or a bar feel free to ask. I don't recall a situation prior to this that involved going to a random persons house ringing the doorbell and asking to masturbate for them, but hey whatever rallies the troops.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #204
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

As an aside I'm surprised Louis CK was a known, successful comedian back then. I guess I was just blind to him as I thought he was relatively unknown until 2008ish.

Even in old youtube interviews (2000-2004) he seems more like a minor comedian doing stand up with little fanfare during the interview from audiences.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #205
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Wait can I get your address?
Pm me. I'll make sure she says yes. Then in about 5 years she'll publicly out you as a perverted sexual predator.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grimbl420 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #206
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
What is going on in this thread?

Yes, a middle aged boss asking a 20 year old junior employee if he can wank in front of her is harassment. No, it's not as bad as raping someone. It's still bad though. Yes employees can hook up without it being harassment. This was not that. What's harassment? Use common sense. If it involves a power dynamic and/or an unwanted advance, it's probably harassment.

Can we end this debate?
This kind of stuff is part of the problem.

Why do you feel the need to stifle discussion and insult people?

Not to mention your post isn’t even consistent for someone who is a know it all. How can you possibly manage wanted vs unwanted advances? Are you a precog?

These types of civil, respectful discussions should be encouraged. It’s real ####ty that some people use these type of events to feel morally superior and berate others. Why does anyone feel the need to take sides? What are you accomplishing?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #207
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
As an aside I'm surprised Louis CK was a known, successful comedian back then. I guess I was just blind to him as I thought he was relatively unknown until 2008ish.

Even in old youtube interviews (2000-2004) he seems more like a minor comedian doing stand up with little fanfare during the interview from audiences.
He was not well known to the general public in 2002 but aspiring comedians would have known him as a veteran comedy writer, writing for the likes of Conan, Letterman, Dana Carvey and Chris Rock. For someone desperately trying to break into the business, Louis C.K. would seem like a god to them.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #208
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
This has me thinking today... with the diminishing availability of physical media, let's assume that in the future all content is distributed digitally.

As the public owns less and less content, they rely on digital services to provide it. The concept of owning another person's content won't exist.

So, after an offense is made (sexual assault, murder, who draws that line?), someone makes the decision to pull the artist's content from the online service. Consumers no longer have access to the content and have no backups. The online service has the only copy.

I suppose piracy would extend access to content but that only lasts as long as the concept of ownership.

In 50 years, maybe they'll search all media for their version of Louis CK and delete it all (as HBO has done today). And we'll only have our memories, no access to any of their content.
Well, depends on who owns not only the product itself but the distribution rights as well. I know Louis C.K.'s own production company produced his two TV series and if he sold all rights to them in perpetuity, he would have already been paid well for them. But Louis C.K.'s production company also produces stuff that Louis distributes himself on his website (like Horace and Pete, and stand-up performances), so those shows will always be available as long as Louis C.K. wants to make them available.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #209
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think some folks are defensive because they like Louis C.K.'s work. I personally don't see anything wrong with liking an artist's work but still acknowledging that they are a terrible human being. I love Woody Allen's film's (particularly his output between 1977 to around 1995) and his personal transgressions will not make me love his movies any less. History is full of great artists who were #######s in real life. If the world only accepted the creative works of morally upstanding people, it would be a pretty boring world.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #210
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
What is your address?

I want to stop by and ask your wife a question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I think some folks are defensive because they like Louis C.K.'s work. I personally don't see anything wrong with liking an artist's work but still acknowledging that they are a terrible human being. I love Woody Allen's film's (particularly his output between 1977 to around 1995) and his personal transgressions will not make me love his movies any less. History is full of great artists who were #######s in real life. If the world only accepted the creative works of morally upstanding people, it would be a pretty boring world.
I think people have been making substantive arguments completely divorced of any "admiration" for Louis CK.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #211
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Where were all the defenders of Harvey Weinstein when he was asking women to watch him wank and/or bathe? I bet Weinstein wishes he could tell good jokes.
Weinstein allegedly did much worse and more systematically.

IN the case of CK it sounds like it wasn't rooted in a power dynamic, even though it falls into that category. He hasn't been accused of threatening peoples livelihoods or trying to hush rumors with settlements etc.. He fully acknowledges his actions and the fact that even if it wasn't intended as an assertion of power thats what it is given his status in the community.

Weinstein has been reported to use this conduct to threaten people's careers and personal well-being and as basically a right of passage for working for/with him. CK is a perv, Weinstein is a predator.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #212
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
The thing is I don't believe Louis CK is a terrible human being, and I don't even care for his work that much. did he act inappropriately? Yes, of course he did. But this is far from what Woody Allen did, and is a weak comparison to other big names in hollywood who have been accused of actual assault.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grimbl420 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #213
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Where were all the defenders of Harvey Weinstein when he was asking women to watch him wank and/or bathe? I bet Weinstein wishes he could tell good jokes.
Could it be possible there's different degrees of severity between what the two did?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #214
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
If my wife is in a situation with you in your hotel room or a bar feel free to ask. I don't recall a situation prior to this that involved going to a random persons house ringing the doorbell and asking to masturbate for them, but hey whatever rallies the troops.
Where does she work then?

1 of the 5 incidents occurred in a bar, back to hotel room environment. The phone one I'm unclear where it occurred. The other three were in the workplace.

Last edited by GGG; 11-10-2017 at 03:56 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #215
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Where does she work then?
and if she says yes, then regrets it later, I'm sure you'd be okay with being publicly outed as a predator?
Old 11-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #216
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if anyone else here follows Screen Junkies/Movie Fights, but the host/Co-Creator was let go a little while back for harassment himself.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...or-1202583996/

Here was their response video to it.

trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #217
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
and if she says yes, then regrets it later, I'm sure you'd be okay with being publicly outed as a predator?
I think some nuance in how we think of these people is required as their are different degrees here. But yes if I ask a coworker if I can have sex eith them at work I have committed a crime.

And in two of the instances the person said no.

My argument isn't that CK is Weinstein. It is his behaviour at work was criminal. The second discussion of what do you do with these people going forward is separate from if what he did was a crime.

And if we can't agree that asking someone at work to #### them without any other pretense is criminal we got a long way to go.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #218
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I think some nuance in how we think of these people is required as their are different degrees here. But yes if I ask a coworker if I can have sex eith them at work I have committed a crime.

And in two of the instances the person said no.

My argument isn't that CK is Weinstein. It is his behaviour at work was criminal. The second discussion of what do you do with these people going forward is separate from if what he did was a crime.

And if we can't agree that asking someone at work to #### them without any other pretense is criminal we got a long way to go.
I can't agree to that. I thought consenting adults could have sex. Asking for consent is courteous. I mean, you can't just take it, that I'm clear on. Now you can't ask for it without that being criminal? You've lost me.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #219
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's a grey area. I know many people that have met their partners at work. Some after hooking up at work functions. I was my wife's subordinate when we started dating, better lock her up and brand her as a sexual predator now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grimbl420 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #220
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I can't agree to that. I thought consenting adults could have sex. Asking for consent is courteous. I mean, you can't just take it, that I'm clear on. Now you can't ask for it without that being criminal? You've lost me.
You can't in a work place ask to #### your coworker at work in the office without any other relationship. If you ask to #### your coworker at work your should be fired.

You can't walk up to a stranger on the street and say Nice shoes wanna ####?